The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CAE Sound In San Mateo -- How was your experience ?
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Addict

CAE Sound In San Mateo -- How was your experience ?

***FOR ALL BAY AREA FOLKS WITH ACTUAL EXPERIENCE DEALING WITH CAE SOUND***

Now getting a decent collection of Vintage Synths, I am looking for a VERY good reputable "go to" refurbish/repair shop for Vintage Synths that actually specializes in ALL of them. And 100% knows the ins and outs of every single one.

So I was hipped to CAE Sound in San Mateo for this. Well, I wrote them a email asking them pertinent questions, and wanting to start a relationship with them. AFTER emailing them I then went to look at some reviews they have on "Yelp"... and well, the reviews were scary !! ALL but 1 review was literal horror stories, and warnings to stay away from this unprofessional shop !! And the 1 good review was from a girl that knew nothing because she just got some Amp fixed for her boyfriend.

Ok, so now ta boot, the email I sent last week has still YET to be answered by them !! A first sign that the reviews on Yelp were right on. But I am not sure either.

So I now need to ask and confirm with you guys, are they trustworthy of very rare and expensive vintage synth repair and refurbishing or no ?

What has been your folks experiences with them ? Are they very well recommended or not ? OR are the reviews Peter and his CAE shop got on Yelp correct and valid ?

Thanks --
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

I recommended them to you in another thread! Its possible some folks did not like the service.There may be other shops around that can do the vintage work.
CAE works the way they want to,on their own schedule,i believe he has worked on all the Grateful Dead's equipment over many years and the shop was/is a byproduct.[We'll tell ya when its done]sort of thing.
Either way i have been happy with their work on my Minimoog Model D.
Check Wine Country Productions in San Jose,They are another place in San Jose that does vintage Prophet V's.I believe they are still around.Good Luck

Dan P
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p View Post
I recommended them to you in another thread! Its possible some folks did not like the service.There may be other shops around that can do the vintage work.
CAE works the way they want to,on their own schedule,i believe he has worked on all the Grateful Dead's equipment over many years and the shop was/is a byproduct.[We'll tell ya when its done]sort of thing.
Either way i have been happy with their work on my Minimoog Model D.
Check Wine Country Productions in San Jose,They are another place in San Jose that does vintage Prophet V's.I believe they are still around.Good Luck

Dan P
Thanks Dan, yea I know - you were the person I was referring to when I said "someone hipp'ed them to me".. LOL Thanks BTW for that....

Anyway, as per your recommendation I tried emailing them, and then looking up there reviews... and well, you know the rest of the story. I still have no email response back from them.

Thanks for the other places info too, I will check on them. But it is good to hear you feel like you got great service from CAE.. They would be the easiest for me. But the horror stories were just horrendous. I mean like, peoples vintage synths wood panels getting ruined there. Careless "tape" stick marks left on vintage gear, things said they were fixed, but were not !!, then the person took it somewhere else and got it fixed in like 3 hours !!, etc... it was bad.. -- Google CAE sound reviews on YELP.
Old 8th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Somewhat old thread but...

I had an Ampeg SVT4 repaired at CAE sound about a year and a half ago. They turned it around in about a week and it was in better than new condition. Those guys are good.
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankitup View Post
Somewhat old thread but...

I had an Ampeg SVT4 repaired at CAE sound about a year and a half ago. They turned it around in about a week and it was in better than new condition. Those guys are good.
Ok, cool. That is good news.

I called them and well, their prices are real high. So right now I found a very reputable Tech in Kansas, and his rates are less than half of CAE or anyone in California for that matter. I literally save money by shipping the units to him extremely safe and he ships them back the same.

But I still will check them out for small things I guess. Thanks for the post, it does make me feel a little better about them. God, did you read the reviews they got on YELP ? That's what scared me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search