The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions on the mix of the new Underoath album? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Head

Opinions on the mix of the new Underoath album?

So I just picked up the new Underoath album today "Lost in the sounds of Seperation", and was immediately completely baffled by the fact that the entire mix is being pumped by the kick and snare. On top of that, the entire drum kit is obviously oversampled and just mechanical sounding.

This mix is a definate departure from the more natural sound of Define The Great Line. But that is just my two cents. Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 3rd September 2008
Agree!

Well I listened to it and thought could this be some kind of joke? its so mechanical especially with all those samples. I think it could sound more like Uriah Heap or Iron Maiden.
Define the great line...was there a kick drum on there? I couldn't hear it. And of course there were no snare samples on there, real room sounds are the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeffAllen View Post
So I just picked up the new Underoath album today "Lost in the sounds of Seperation", and was immediately completely baffled by the fact that the entire mix is being pumped by the kick and snare. On top of that, the entire drum kit is obviously oversampled and just mechanical sounding.

This mix is a definate departure from the more natural sound of Define The Great Line. But that is just my two cents. Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomixer View Post
Well I listened to it and thought could this be some kind of joke? its so mechanical especially with all those samples. I think it could sound more like Uriah Heap or Iron Maiden.
Define the great line...was there a kick drum on there? I couldn't hear it. And of course there were no snare samples on there, real room sounds are the best!
lol. heh
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
its so mechanical especially with all those samples. I think it could sound more like Uriah Heap or Iron Maiden.
Were the original drum tracks in the mix that you got or just the samples? The guitar tones are nice, but the mechanical drums are still killing the whole album for me.
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Maniac

i like the songs. great dudes. but id have to agree that defining the great line sounds much better. just my opinion.

peace

beau
Old 4th September 2008
so.....

My advice to you is to play the record you like. And if you do not like my drum sounds its ok with me, millions of other people do, including the drummer in Underoath. Next!

Btw, didn't CLA mix your record? Is it gold yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
i like the songs. great dudes. but id have to agree that defining the great line sounds much better. just my opinion.

peace

beau
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My advice to you is to play the record you like. And if you do not like my drum sounds its ok with me, millions of other people do, including the drummer in Underoath. Next!

the thread is about opinions on the mix of the new underoath album. mine is that i think the previous record sounds better. thats all.

peace

beau
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Head

I'm in love with the way this album sounds. My favorite underoath album (sonically) yet.

The drums slay. So much roomy vibe in that snare. I dig it real hard.

I've watched the DVD included with the special edition a few times already. Some cool footage of mic'd up drums and amps. It's always inspiring to see people that can use the exact same gear you own in your studio, in many of the same ways, and still manage to make **** sound so much better than you're able to.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Humble much?
Old 4th September 2008
well funny you should say.......

"you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the woman"...Scarface

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
Humble much?
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
"you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the woman"...Scarface
Thanks for reading my Myspace page.....maybe I should change the quote to "How did you get that scar, from eating pussy?" It's a great movie, doesn't mean I live my life by a quote.

For the record, I think the drums sound fine.....
Old 4th September 2008
cool!~

I was just joking around, I am Canadian too!
Monarchy sounds good, real Soundgarden like. great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
Thanks for reading my Myspace page.....maybe I should change the quote to "How did you get that scar, from eating pussy?" It's a great movie, doesn't mean I live my life by a quote.

For the record, I think the drums sound fine.....
Old 4th September 2008
I checked it out online and I think it sounds huge. The "sample-y" drum sound doesn't bother me; it's a stylistic decision and it's the only way to get the drums to hit as hard as they do on those songs. Good job to the production team, it sounds brutal and that's what counts.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Nut

I just bought the album the other day, in fact, I'm listening to it as I type. In my opinion I think it's great. Those drums are fantastic - sampled or not. Everything's punchy as and even the hats sound full and big. Loving the vocals too. The first thing I noticed when I heard the album was how all over the place the mix was, in a good way. There is so much going on and it constantly kept me guessing.

If you don't like it the sound of it, find something you do like and start a thread discussing how to get that sound. No one gains from putting down someone's work.

I for one would love some insight into how this album was tracked and mixed. David I see you mixed Lost In The Sound Of Separation too, would you be able to share some stuff? I'm particularly interested in the vocals, how many tracks? Signal chain? When we hear that bathroom reverb is that part actually tracked in a bathroom? What do you use to drive those vocals, is the distortion at the tracking end of things or is that what you have done in the mix?

Looking forward to hearing about it, congrats on another great album!
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Head

Tim from UO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
I'm particularly interested in the vocals, how many tracks? Signal chain? When we hear that bathroom reverb is that part actually tracked in a bathroom? What do you use to drive those vocals, is the distortion at the tracking end of things or is that what you have done in the mix?

Looking forward to hearing about it, congrats on another great album!
Zack,

We used a Neumann 149 on Aaron and the black neumann handheld condenser on Spee. As for the roomy parts, those were mostly done in house. There were a few parts where we set up a stereo pair of 87's at the end of a long hall and sang into that. that's what the first few lines on the first song are as well as others. David sweetened everything up for sure. As far as pres go I'm not exactly sure what Adam used on the vocals off hand...I know we had Averill 1073's, UA 4110, Neve Channel strip...etc. I hope this helps a bit....Bendy can chime in with mixing stuff.
Old 5th September 2008
Vocals

For compression, a Vacrac, an ADR compex limiter, a 50's Gates comp and some incredible home made comps that Dan made in our shop in the style of an SSL or alan smart.
For reverb, lex 480l, fireworks, pcm70, and a few pcm 42 delays.
For plug-ins I think Dan will chime in, not many.A few long rooms and delayed reverbs.

console was an ssl 4000 G series with ultimation brown eq. Came in as pro tools and converted to Nuendo platform with Apogee for converter. Mixed straight to dig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardsnotbeers View Post
Zack,

We used a Neumann 149 on Aaron and the black neumann handheld condenser on Spee. As for the roomy parts, those were mostly done in house. There were a few parts where we set up a stereo pair of 87's at the end of a long hall and sang into that. that's what the first few lines on the first song are as well as others. David sweetened everything up for sure. As far as pres go I'm not exactly sure what Adam used on the vocals off hand...I know we had Averill 1073's, UA 4110, Neve Channel strip...etc. I hope this helps a bit....Bendy can chime in with mixing stuff.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

I like the samples. David, what are you using in Nuendo to trigger the samples? Drumagog?
Old 9th September 2008
this is a great sounding record. congrats to all involved. David it was cool getting to see you on the dvd, as i have read a lot from you on these forums and respect your work very much.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Ya know what?

I'd never heard of this band til this thread so I googled 'em and heard the track on their website.

Kick ass.

so f'in what if the drums are sampled? It sounds great and it gets the job done. These days I rarely find a band I enjoy and I really like this.

Props to the guys who made it happen.

The average joe-schmoe won't know, or care if it's been sample replaced or auto-tuned or whatever... as long as it kicks ass.

if you want to be idealistic, that's cool. Just don't berate anyone else for stomping on different grounds.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never1 View Post
It sounds great and it gets the job done.
Props to the guys who made it happen.
Awesome job to all involved!
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

I thought it kicked ass. Good stuff David, but then again I haven't heard anything of yours as of yet that I didn't like. Drums are slammin. Not that you would anyway, but don't let anyone influence you to wuss up the drums.
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Vocal mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardsnotbeers View Post
Zack,

It was actually a 147, nbd
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

I loved the sound of the new Underoath's cd, the drums must be soundreplaced as it is on pretty much every album since quite a while, it is amazing, I'm sure it's a blend of the real tracking "reinforced" with some great samples, maybe taken from the same session though

please please pretty please if any one here at this thread knows what type of eq'ing and settings where used on the snare on both tracking and mixing, please could you share it with us????

I'm trying so hard to get that type of snare tone on my mixes and daaaaaaaaamn I'm so far away still

thank u all!!!
Old 15th September 2008
Gear Addict

i have to say Adam D, Goldman, and the band did an amazing job on engineering, the guitars are incredible. It is obvious why the band would have known David B was the man for the job, that SSL made this album boom, and if ted jensen had something to do with it, im sure that would have helped. also love the use of delays and verbs on the singing vox, this album will be hard to beat sonically for the band.

great job all involved.

- and get over the sample crap, im sure if you took away the vox n gtars the kit would be quite odd, but that is not what we're listening to. The booming kick drives this entire album. We're in the 21st centuary competing with programing with NO noise flaw, if you want to make gold metalcore albums get a pen and paper.
Old 15th September 2008
Gear Nut

Getting back to the drum track for a second.
Got to say first that the mix works. An amazing amount of energy. It's got all the bands in my area excited about it, but have to ask, was there a decision made in mix to let the cymbals suffer for the sake of the overall kit sound? Brave and great choice if so. Classic example of breaking the rules for the bigger picture.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio Ruiz View Post
I loved the sound of the new Underoath's cd, the drums must be soundreplaced as it is on pretty much every album since quite a while, it is amazing, I'm sure it's a blend of the real tracking "reinforced" with some great samples, maybe taken from the same session though

please please pretty please if any one here at this thread knows what type of eq'ing and settings where used on the snare on both tracking and mixing, please could you share it with us????

I'm trying so hard to get that type of snare tone on my mixes and daaaaaaaaamn I'm so far away still

thank u all!!!
ADR compex limiter, ams reverb, ssl 4000 g series brown eq, quantec room simulator and thats it! Snare chain, coming from dave himself. Not sure on samples.
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

10 guys in a room 10 different opinions entirely . 10 engineers = endless opinions that change by the day. I personally like the mixes on their new record a bit more than underoaths previous effert that was mixed by Cla. The first obvious thing to me was the bottom end was very tight and big on the new record, especially noticeable on the guitars and drums(it feels great). i felt on thier last record the guitars lacked bottom and were a bit harsh. again just my opinon. ben and cla are both great mixers in their own right. fan of both. respect them both.
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Just Bought the record and......

holy crap.....it changed my perception of how to use compression.......not only is it pumping like crazy but the drums still punch through and the way the guitars lock with the drums and sometimes jump out makes the music super exciting. plus with that much compression the bass is still huge........dont know how "define" sounded but these mixes, and recordings totally sell the songs for me.

how is this much compression achieved? seems like sometimes the left and right are compressed differently as the sounds shift (excluding the songs where the drums get panned around.) What did it sound like before mastering?
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaudio View Post
"pumping like crazy"
A little bit of an understatement.... There's more sucking and pumping than a Jenna James, Peter North special!
Old 15th November 2008
Gear Maniac

I liked the record. I think it sounds good. There are some elements of Define I think are better, and some of this that I think are better. Both albums sound awesome. I like the track on the new one with the 2 drum sets, not very technical, but really cool sounding.

I actually just bought the cab they used on the record for this, for a great deal too!

I wish Ben would have mixed They're Only Chasing Safety, that is still my fav UO cd. I think James is a more 'musical' producer than Adam, but Adam sure can push those heavy tunes.

I also like your cd Beau, just recently got into you guys. I think the mix sounds awesome, but David's drums always seem to hit a bit harder than CLA's.

When is that drum library coming out DB? I still want the first one!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search