The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Underoath Record... David?
Old 20th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
Damn, that's a lot of GR.

I've got it hitting about -5dB GR right now on a mix, and I can already hear it clearly.
Suck it, Ryan.
Old 21st October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntillesSound View Post
Suck it, Ryan.
I love you Brad...
Old 21st October 2008
Great thread,

I´ll listen to the latest Underoath... I remember listening to one of their records, and liking the overal sound a lot, but the music just didn´t touch me. But it´s just me.
I´ll grab the new one... the combination of JCM and Plexi catched my attention!
Hey Dave, when are you coming to Brazil for your vacation ???
Peace!
Old 22nd October 2008
Just listened to the album a few times... and liked it a lot!!!!

Dave,

The record was mixed on a SSL right?

Any samples on the drums?

What kind of compression on the drums?

What kind of "treatment" on the guitars?

Bass sounds amazing too! Did you do much to make it sound like this?

Tim,

Do you remember the settings on the TS808? Are you using it as a clean boost or there is some drive on it too?

The TS808 is the one made by Axon?

Thanks a lot guys for any answers you could give!

Awsome work, musically and technically

Sorry if I misspell anything heh
Old 23rd October 2008
Si signor....

[QUOTE=jeronimo;3592010]Just listened to the album a few times... and liked it a lot!!!!

Dave,

The record was mixed on a SSL right?

CORRECT 4000 SSL E/G 56 WITH ULT.

UMM NO, UMM YES,,,,, MUCHOS SAMPELOS. USING THE .....
"MACHINE GUN, HEAVY AIR, MULTIPLE SMASH, ACCUSONIC GEARSLUTZ RECORDING REPLACEMENT PROCESS"

What kind of compression on the drums?

ADR COMPEX, SSL BUSS, INDIVUDUAL CHANNEL, TRANSIENT DESIGN, KORNEFF MADE BUSS COMP,

What kind of "treatment" on the guitars?

SSL MIC PRE, SSL EQ, SOME AMPLITUDE PLUG INS,WARD BECK EQ, EVENTIDE HARMONIZER, SPX90 SYMPHONIC, LEXICON REVERB, PCM 42, FIREWORKS, SOME OPPOSITE REVERB PANNING,

Bass sounds amazing too! Did you do much to make it sound like this?
REAMP WITH DISTORTO SANS AMP, AMP AND DI, SOME DRASTIC SSL EQ ON BOTTOM.

The band were all there ..that really helped me.
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Lots of information, I love these threads.
Old 23rd October 2008
I think what really sticks out in the album is how the guitars breathe.

I would love to get some tones that pump like that....but I see you said something about amp sims?? Did you blend the original tones with tones from the plugs?

I've never really been a fan of them but if they helped out the sound on this record, maybe i should give it another go.

great job man!
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomixer View Post

"MACHINE GUN, HEAVY AIR, MULTIPLE SMASH, ACCUSONIC GEARSLUTZ RECORDING REPLACEMENT PROCESS"
Ok, I must admit that you got me laughing on this one!

Peace
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Nut

the new record (lost in the sound of seperation) sounds great. however i think its a small step down from Define the Great Line.

to me, define the great line was just about a perfect album as far as songwriting and mixing goes. i dont think Lost in the Sound of Seperation jumps out as much, but it still sounds really great. out of my own curiosity, what did you do different between the two records and why.

soooo if you like Lost. . ., go pick up Define the Great Line IMMEDIATELY.

p.s. to Tim, I saw you guys at irving in nyc when the record came out, great show, and for a bunch of guys who just came off stage and were probably exhausted, you were really cool when I came upstairs to meet you. you are one of my favorite bands (which stands in good company with bruce, and vh amongst others) and your music always gets me in a positive mood. big hug and high five for being uO and being awesome.
Old 23rd October 2008
Here for the gear

Loving the album, saw you in portsmouth, pit was loving the old stuff heh
Old 18th November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
Just listened to the album a few times... and liked it a lot!!!!

...Tim,

Do you remember the settings on the TS808? Are you using it as a clean boost or there is some drive on it too?
Don't want to see this thread die...

Tim / beardsnotbeers, I'd also love to know about how you hit that Marshall with the TS808. It's amazing what a brutal tone you can get out of amp not expressly designed for ultra high-gain tones, when you slam it with a TS808!

But I imagine you're very busy on tour, and don't have time to check these forums. Probably better that way! Congratulations on a killer album.
Old 18th November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstar View Post
Don't want to see this thread die...

Tim / beardsnotbeers, I'd also love to know about how you hit that Marshall with the TS808. It's amazing what a brutal tone you can get out of amp not expressly designed for ultra high-gain tones, when you slam it with a TS808!

But I imagine you're very busy on tour, and don't have time to check these forums. Probably better that way! Congratulations on a killer album.
yeah LE BUMP
Old 18th November 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomixer View Post
i personally love this style of drum prod! good work dave..the album sounds wikid. And i'm sure for every aspiring producer dissin this style there's about 33,333 kids and 333.3 producers who love it, me included

p.s does the saturation/clip on the snare come from hitting the ssl hard during mixdown or from the mastering phase or summit else? i been experimenting clipping drums on the different lo budget and homemade devices i have but have a feelin i need a descent pre to do it with rather than a crappy old md8...think i need to save up to build a pair of lush 1272s
Old 3rd December 2008
guitar's pan?

Hi Dave, I'm actually beginning to mix my own stuff and I decided to choose your work on the last underoath album as a reference cd.

So, what about:
-the guitars panning?
-the guitars eq'ing?

It would be really nice for the newb I'm if you could share it!
Really love your work on the whole album!
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

I'll chime in as a total UA fanboi - first saw them in Nashville right as Chasing Safety came out (still my favorite album of it's kind). Every record gets better.

I was wondering how the bass was done? Not just recorded, but what was the mixing strategy as far as bass-guitar-bass drum? I'm a big proponent of the idea that 40% of a great guitar sound is a great bass sound, and this sounds like a perfect example. I've found 800's to have a real tendency to get thin, especially when going for top end clarity like is on this record, any thoughts on balancing that?
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

the trick is to record with a good jcm 800....some of these amps can produce a
great upper midrange.

cheers

alex
Old 15th February 2011
Here for the gear

Guitars are huge. Gotta love the bae 1073. And davids brilliant mixing.

Mr. Ben, did you mix in any of the recorded sub-kick on the record? Or is that all you?

Praise and glory for that record!

Thanks
Bob
Old 15th February 2011
Here for the gear

Ha. It automatically made it skull and crossbones... Wow.. Sorry David.
Old 15th February 2011
Been a fan of these guys for over 6 years now and really dig em. Was never a huge fan of metal core, especially Christian metal core but ironically enough I did not even think about it until someone mentioned it to me. Just laughed really and said who cares. "They're only chasing safety" is in my car on permanent rotation these days.

This new record is brilliant and the videos that they put up during the making really shows the work that went into it. Dual drums, amazing guitars and some serious production. Great mixes and just a vibe that is hard to get with a lot of bands.

Recommend this record indeed! Definitely recommend seeing them live. Caught a show in Richmond, VA a few a years ago and they destroyed the place.

Great stuff guys.

Thumbs up to the transient designer too.

KILLER RECORD
Old 18th February 2011
I am pretty sure the subs came from the mix, it was a while back. The record was recorded well and the whole band attended the mix so decisions were easy to make.
They all had great ideas in the studio and were very easy to work with on every level. Some people say the record "pumps" a bit too much sometimes and that may be the case in some instances as I was truly searching to really open it all up musically. The songs were exciting and the lyrical messages important. I loved mixing that record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseUp Recording View Post
Guitars are huge. Gotta love the bae 1073. And davids brilliant mixing.

Mr. Ben, did you mix in any of the recorded sub-kick on the record? Or is that all you?

Praise and glory for that record!

Thanks
Bob
Old 19th February 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the insight!
I get where people say the record pumps at times, but IMHO their style music needs to have that inherent sense of instability that pumping brings to the party. One of my favorite records mix and all. Super powerful and yet dynamic!

Did you do alot as far as EQ/Comp/Other Tricks to the guitars in the song "Too bright to see, Too Loud to Hear"? I know that tape delay was printed but everything is so warm and inviting. That has to be my favorite guitar sound... ever.

I bet it was a blast working with UO. Had the great pleasure of opening for them a couple years ago. Incredible people all of them!

-Bob
Old 18th April 2011
Gear Nut

This might be the best thread I've ever seen. I'm a huge fan of underoath and the whole sound of their mixes. I'm really curious what you used on the vocals? How much compression, delay, rev etc.?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search