The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A good EQ for the money????
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

A good EQ for the money????

I'm interested in getting a good EQ for minor tweaking for under $1000, preferably for around $500..... Like I said it's for minor tweaking for pre-samples....Drums, old records or what not. Any input would help, Thanx.
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

It's over your budget but i suggest the avedis E15 for hip hop drums and samples. It's got this sound that just makes your sampled drums and samples sound tighter and punchier. The eq is 950 but you gotta get a rack too which is around 500 but then you can stuff some more in or some other api standard equipment.
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

I would check the German modules: Neumann, BFE, Filtek, Telefunken, Siemens. Excellent sound at low prices.
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echorec
I would check the German modules: Neumann, BFE, Filtek, Telefunken, Siemens. Excellent sound at low prices.
agree... siemens 295b very very musical mids and highs (resonance design like "pulse technologie"), telefunken w395/w695 strong bass with definiton, neumann w495/w491 also very musical (-> even when strong eqing it sounds natural) ...best andreas
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Andreas, slight OT but what does resonance design mean? I have noticed when I turn the mid band selector on my W295b EQs (with a couple of dB boost) that it sounds almost like turning the VCF knob on an analog synth.

Thanks.
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Andreas, slight OT but what does resonance design mean? I have noticed when I turn the mid band selector on my W295b EQs (with a couple of dB boost) that it sounds almost like turning the VCF knob on an analog synth.

Thanks.

hi echorec ...yes, I noticed that too, it's really cool how these eqs are acting in comparison with modern "mathematic" eq designs....to your question, well sorry, I am not the tech guy who could give you the precise answer to that phenomen, but that's a friend of mine. I'll meet him next week and will post his explanation.... best andreas
Old 22nd April 2005
Jai guru deva om

Speck ASC EQ is great, will do way more than minor tweaking. Get the transformer version to add a little extra sheen to things.

The Toft ATC-2 is a great option for 2 eq's, plus you get preamps and compression that is great as well.

Or, get some used dbx242 eq's. Extremely useful boxes.

War
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Andreas!
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

Thanx guys, sorry I haven't responded earlier I've been out of the loop.... I'll definitely look in to those models that you recommended..... any others?

So Warhead, could you tell me more about the Speck EQ.... I was looking at one of those, but a colegue of mine said that is wasn't anything special... nothing a plugin couldn't do....
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

For the minor-tweak (I hate to do TOO much damage...) I love these...

API 560b

Just slightly over your budget but great for drums.

R.
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

i agree with war on the speck asc or even the toft atc-2.
joshua
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

A +1 for the ASC-T from me. I wouldn't trade mine. Best bang for the buck in an EQ period.
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

A used Orban 642b dual mono eq;
very useful filters, i/o switch for every band, freq fine tuning, cascade switch (heavy mono manipulation), large faceplate for easy operation.

You get these for way under $ 500

ruudman
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

Here's another vote for the Orban 642b. I recently bought one and have been very pleased with how it sounds. Mine is in like new condition and cost $500. You can find them for less, but rarely in this perfect of cosmetic shape.
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey
For the minor-tweak (I hate to do TOO much damage...) I love these...

API 560b

Just slightly over your budget but great for drums.

R.

another vote for these puppies... great all rounder that can accomplish lots whilst still sounding fantastic.

Wiggy
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks.
hi echorec... a resonance filter design (in the case of the 295b) is an eq design around a network of spools (LC filter network), one spool for each frequency band... to change the frequency the rotary switches are coupled with condensers which are lowering the resonance frequency of the spools... turning the VCF knob on an analog synth sounds similar, because it's circuit is also based on a resonance filter design... good ears echorec!......best andreas
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Speck ASC EQ is great, will do way more than minor tweaking. Get the transformer version to add a little extra sheen to things.

The Toft ATC-2 is a great option for 2 eq's, plus you get preamps and compression that is great as well.

Or, get some used dbx242 eq's. Extremely useful boxes.

War
Or an Orban 424(or is it 242)
ANyway, it's basically the same thing as the DBX. I bought two for $200 ea. They're pretty cheap.
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Andreas!
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

api 560b in a lunchbox. You should be able to get that for around grand. Then you've got 5 open slots for mic pres every time you run across an extra $50-600.
later,
m
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

The Speck Eq is a step up from most plug in eqs...like a really big step.
Old 27th April 2005
Lives for gear

I'm telling you for hip hop drums and samples the avedis E15 is the sh*@. I produce and engineer all rap, hip hop, rnb, and reggae. I used the api eqs for a while too but the avedis ones sound better for this application to me. For reals try em out.
Old 27th April 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

What about the Buzz Audio MPE 1.1 mono eq? I heard about this when it came out a little while ago and have not heard a peep about it since. It has transformer options to boot. Does anyone know anything about this EQ??
Old 28th April 2005
member no 666

1/2 an EQ-1NV or a Speck ASC-T... whichever is easiest...
Old 28th April 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Fletcher

what about the Lil Freq

is it officially released yet?? this could be good for him in that price range??
Old 28th April 2005
Lives for gear

NightPro Eq3d.... not surgical(its fixed instead of parametric) but it can definitly give your music some "wow" factor. You can find them on ebay from time to time for under 1K
Old 28th April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock
Hey Fletcher

what about the Lil Freq

is it officially released yet?? this could be good for him in that price range??

No that`s about double his price range I think unfortunately.
Old 28th April 2005
Lives for gear

did i mention that the avedis E15 is perfect for this application?
Old 28th April 2005
Lives for gear

another vote for the asc-t.
Old 28th April 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI
did i mention that the avedis E15 is perfect for this application?
Funny thing is I rarely hear anyone talking about them. Most people around these parts respect Avedis and Brent Averill allot but no one seems to talk much about the E15 (also on this thread the E15 and a rack would be over his price point but who am I).

Anyway I have been wanting to hear this EQ myself, I am really interested in it.
Old 29th April 2005
Lives for gear

yeah but so were the api eqs people mentioned. plus the rack would give him further expansion possibilities. and it sounds good...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search