The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you guys do to be in "shape" Dynamics Plugins
Old 7th March 2003
What do you guys do to be in "shape"

Well, I'm starting to be in the shape of a basket ball
But seriouslly, I've been in this business for only 2 years and I'm starting to get worried about staying the whole day sitting on a chair...
What do you guys do to be in a good phisical and mental shape?
Old 7th March 2003
There is only one

now that its warming up here... im pulling my mountain bike out today and getting it back in shape so maybe it can get me back in shape.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Head

Work out in a gym, read alot of books, clear out the mind from upbuilded agression with an booze orgie once in a while.

/M
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

I lowered my standards...
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

do live sound work too!!

loading in a sound truck and flying a line array will help keep you in shape. have you ever moved a pm4k? i will be doing all the above in one hour. plus it makes you quicker in the studio. and the studio work helps you develop mic placement and more critical listening. they are oddly different jobs considering both are sound, but they compliment each other well.

and im in shape.
Old 7th March 2003
Procratinate about buying a mouintain bike,

Walk up all esclators on subway journeys. (London tube)

worry about it,

grudge
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

I've been Skateboarding since I was 15 and I haven't stopped.
I still hang out at skateparks every now and then...keeps me young too.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've been Skateboarding since I was 15 and I haven't stopped. I still hang out at skateparks every now and then...keeps me young too.
I did that until a few years ago when I overheard some of the rats talking about the "creepy old dude with long hair," and I realized they were talking about me. I also got tired of getting asked to buy beer all the damn time.

Now I snowshoe in the winter, and hike in the summer. I also walk my dog on a 2 mile circuit through my neighborhood every day.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Guru

People often wonder why I am always "booked" on monday nights... I am at my regular volleyball game. It may have cost me a session or two but I try to never miss it. I am the Old Guy in this game, but I used to be good so they tolerate me.

I work as a drummer too. Playing the drums is something of a workout, but by itself it is not enough to stay in shape. I find I need sports, hiking, shoveling snow....

All the sitting around in the studio is not the only danger to your Shape. The kind of food you typically eat 'on the run' or have delivered can also do you in. My temptation is the nearby "restaurant" Chez Machina: i.e. the vending machines down the hall. Things got a little better when I got a small fridge so that I bring in better food.

Lastly, working with an attractive female vocalist can be a great motivator!
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Maniac

woikin' out

As a certified over the hill guy of nearly 52, I find it very important to stay in shape.

I do the sound sytem workout of course, humping monitors, speakers, and amps. I've got about eight amp racks, typical weight is 170 pounds each.

And I gotta do the studio workout too. Humping my 30 pound mic stands and all of those tube amps and pushing the grand piano around and round.

And since that's not enough, I have a personal trainer beat the crap out of me each Wednesday. He pushes me up to and through the wall every time. He knows that if he hasn't pushed me to the point of nausea that he's not doing his job.

And then I play a vigorous hour of tennis on Friday. Much running and sweating.

Stayin in shape to stay out of the hospital.

wurly
Old 7th March 2003
There is only one

just got back from a short 2 mile ride. damn, nothing like 3000 feet above sea level and hills to wind my sorry ass quick. do it again tomorrow and double it each week.
Old 7th March 2003
Well, I play drums myself too, but that is not enought...
I try to cancel sessions on thursday so I can go play some basketball but, I couldn't afford saying NO to the $$ yet... but I'll do it...
I'm thinking about going to a gym everyday early in the morning, before coming to the studio... but I guess I won't do it on the mornings after late sessions...
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

run and bike now, swim later.... getting back into competitive triathlons after being out of them for 3 years.
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

go to the gymn and workout ..... well .... I do have a one year membership running at a local gymn that is .... ... does that count ??
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

12oz curls anyone?

Wow, I can finally post
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: What do you guys do to be in "shape"

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Well, I'm starting to be in the shape of a basket ball
But seriouslly, I've been in this business for only 2 years and I'm starting to get worried about staying the whole day sitting on a chair...
What do you guys do to be in a good phisical and mental shape?
You should worry...I went to AES this year and have never seen so many fat bastards in my life! AE must be on the surgeon generals list of most dangerous professions!
Seriously, I am finding it really tough to get my ass out to get back/stay in shape. I've had a gym membership for 3 months and have gone a grand total of once But my sweet wife gave me the go ahead to buy a new a bike (mtn bikes got ripped last year) and i did. Been trying to get out 3 days a week, but I'm finding that I'll need to get it done (whatever exercixe) in the morning or it probably won't get done.
Hey Alpha, how's the riding in your neck o the woods?
Attached Thumbnails
What do you guys do to be in "shape"-craig-bike.jpg  
Old 7th March 2003
Once upon a time, I used to race bicycles (road) - I keep meaning to set up my indoor trainer while it's ****ty here in Seattle and try to start losing the "studio roll" I've been cultivating.

Push-ups & crunches, and freeweights, oh my!
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Addict

Running in the gym, snowboarding for a couple of weeks in the winter whenever possible (gives you a reason to do the running for the rest of the year..) & mountain boarding in the summer (riding down hills....and then walking up the bloody things), plus general running about to catch trains/buses/etc.. Yeah, this thing is TERRIBLE for you..I've had neck, back and arse (!) problems and have taken the hint.....:eek:
Old 7th March 2003
Once upon a time... I used to play basketball for the main team here in my hometown. I also used to race mountain bike (crosscountry) and even longer ago, I used to do skateboarding...
Now... tutt
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Once upon a time... I used to play basketball for the main team here in my hometown. I also used to race mountain bike (crosscountry) and even longer ago, I used to do skateboarding...
Now... tutt
Get back on your bike!! If your up this way I'll take you to some of so. Californias best single track. we need a 5th for our 24hr. team ride in september...plenty of time to get in shape!
How's the riding in your home area? (pics?)
Old 7th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: What do you guys do to be in "shape"

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
You should worry...I went to AES this year and have never seen so many fat bastards in my life!
We are NOT 'fat bastards'; we are 'fluffy'.
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Maniac

I'm not fat, I'm big boned!
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

<snicker>

I'm not overweight...I'm undertall...someone of my size should be 7'9"...
Old 7th March 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I'm 2" taller than Terrell Owens (49er's WR) and I weigh the same as him. However, he is solid muscle and I'm mostly flab. I used to ride my bike everyday for 2-4 hours, long, long ago.
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Get into a good hatha yoga class 2 or 3 times a week and after 6 weeks you'll weigh several pounds less and feel 10 years younger. And you'll get one cold a year instead of 4. But if you're currently sedentary then take it slow, because it's easy to overreach at first and pull something.

Sometimes I ride a bike to the studio (10 miles total). Plus I have a very energetic 6 year old who is my personal trainer on weekends.

-R
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman

Sometimes I ride a bike to the studio (10 miles total). Plus I have a very energetic 6 year old who is my personal trainer on weekends.

-R
cool....I have a 1 year old Aussie cattledog/german shep mix that gives me the evil eye if not excercised regularly (or she chews down fences see avatar)
I'm training her up to mtn bike with me
Old 8th March 2003
There is only one

Re: Re: What do you guys do to be in "shape"

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
Hey Alpha, how's the riding in your neck o the woods?
its about as good as you can get... really shows you that stock "mountain" bikes for sale at stores really arent meant for MOUNTAINS. i bent 3 forks in less than a month when i used to ride all the time years ago. there are some SERIOUS trails here. we used to do this one 20 mile trail that was downhill the whole way with 10' banked turns and jumps the whole way. you didnt pedal unless you were nuts, and you definately wore a helmet.

i actually havea trail right in my "yard" complete with jumps... gotta love the ATV kids who make all these trails.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Good thread; this all-day-on-the-ass career really requires some planned activity to stay healthy. It's so easy to become Jabba The Hut.

In Florida, my place is right near an excellent bike trail (reclaimed from old railroad) that has its own bridges over the bay/intracoastal and runs about 40 miles . It's great excercise, and there are citrus trees bearing fruit hanging over backyard fences all along the route for a mid-way snack. If taxes and baby-gear don't break the bank, I'm also planning on getting a kayak for morning paddling in the aforementioned waters. In California, I still go to the Embarcadero YMCA in San Francisco, and love hiking around Mt Tam, or keeping up with my 2 year old Border Collie at Ft. Funston or Point Isabel.

However, right now I think I've gained almost as much weight as my 6-months-pregnant wife has, and it's amazing how much harder it is to pedal up an incline with extra weight on. yuktyy

-dave

ps: Alpha's neck of the woods is sweet, mountain-bike or not. I'm hoping to take a break and get up there for some springtime greenery and hiking before my wife has our baby in June.
Old 8th March 2003
There is only one

thats how i put on all my pounds... even though he is now 3 something to be said about the husband gaining the pregnancy pounds too. im at 205 for the past few years.... i used to not be able to gain past 145. i'd like to settle at 175.

although it was damn cold today biking even though it was a beautiful day of 69deg. mountain air is still chilly with the wind of the ride.

dave, bring the wife and visit this time up... hopefully before our house gets sold, but i kinda hope it is sold soon. although im going to miss the view here. but i wont miss the drive.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Dave,
Think how rockin you'll be on those hills if you drop the weight over a few months by riding.
that's what I'm considering my secret training weapon to get in shape for race season. drag an xtra ass up the hill.....imagine when it's gone.

Alpha , do you have any pics of the area your talking about? Must be great to be able to roll right off your property to ride. I've got to drive for 15 minutes or so to get to anything remotely "wild" or mountainess.

I'm trying like hell to talk my wife into gearing up for a move outta Cali so we could maybe have some quality of life (and afford a homegrudge ) I'm commited to at least 4 years here for the time being in the new studio......one hit away from the mountains???? wear yer helmet!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search