The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think of the mix on Metallica's new track "The Day That Never Comes" Other Controllers
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
They knew what they were doing and many people are loving them for it. You may not like it, but it isn't wrong and Metallica isn't stupid (just whiny).
I second that! Very true.

I hope the new album is just honest. I can't tell how much I hate it, when I go to concerts and hear how bad polished-record bands suck.

I mean don't get me wrong. Lot's of bands are killer live. But way too many suck big time on stage.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Mix

I thought the tune sounded fresh. I wasn't listening to the MIX from a critical engineering perspective...I was listening to the song. Nothing stood out to me like it was so horrendous...evidently, some of my colleagues feel differently. I thought the song was solid...and the mix sounded almost intentionally raw.

When you get as big as they are...you have a lot of fans...and a lot of critics. As a piece of art...every musical statement is unique...and personal. As much as you might like them to be a certain way...isn't that the kind of attitude that pisses you off when your girlfriend tries to manipulate or "change" you? Just let them be them...and enjoy...or turn the channel.

Cheers,
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Man...some people seem almost personally offended by this release. The tunes that are streaming on their site sound pretty good to me, especially the tune Cyanide. Much more along the lines of the Black album sonically than the last attempt I think. It is drier sounding, more raw if you will, but wow, I am just blown away at the reaction to this record. If you A/B this to Ride the Lightning or ..and Justice for All, there is no comparison sonically. Tunes are a different story but all of this is quite subjective. A friend and I were discussing this thread and sort of came to the conclusion that they could have put out a masterpiece and it wouldn't fly because of where there are in their careers. Just our unqualified opinion.

This is definitely an interesting thread no matter what side of the mix you are on. Carry on.....
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

if its anything like they're last album its going to suck. period. In their movie, the camera points to the ProTools screen where it shows Lars drum tracks which have been cut up and moved all over the place. They are just ****ty these days, and they know how to make an easy few hundred million. Doesn't anyone realize that these guys are the definition of red-neck hill-billys? I'm sure they aren't afraid to admit it...actually no, they have to much of an ego. And if you don't agree with me, than you haven't seen they're movie, and if you have, than you must be blind. I don't listen to music made by a bunch of pigs, seriously.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmale View Post

1) the camera points to the ProTools screen

2) Doesn't anyone realize that these guys are the definition of red-neck hill-billys?

3) made by a bunch of pigs, seriously.
1) what do you wanna see ? atari st ?
2) never met them in person
3) oink

Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
if its anything like they're last album its going to suck. period. In their movie, the camera points to the ProTools screen where it shows Lars drum tracks which have been cut up and moved all over the place.
Have you listened to any of the new tracks? It sounds nothing like the last album. You gotta be kidding me with the reference to the drum tracks... like Metallica was the first to blaze that trail.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doesn't anyone realize that these guys are the definition of red-neck hill-billys?
As if there's something wrong w/ country folk? Most rednecks I know are damn good people. I could say a lot about folks from Salt Lake but I'm not the type to throw insults in the internet so I'll just let that be.

Quote:
I don't listen to music made by a bunch of pigs, seriously.
You won't listen to music by these pigs, yet you watched their movie?
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally I always felt that Rick Rubin's slackadesical and hands off approach to producing was a bad fit with a band like Metallica. It's obvious that they need to be PRODUCED
I agree with most of this. I don't know if I would use "slacksidesical" to describe Rubin's approach, but I do think this was a mis-match.
Metallica needs producers that are heavy handed IMO.

They have clearly lost the "rip out your spine" vibe.
They sound dated and boring by today's standards.

I love me some old Metallica,, but today I would rather hear Nickleback.
SNAP!

D
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

I forgot,.....

I do like the video. I saw it last weekend and was glued.
My wife kept shouting from the kitchen, "Can you make that stop!?!?"

I was sure the chick at the end was going to blow up.

D
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

While the mix certainly isn't what I would have done, or even necessarily liked to have heard, I didn't think it was even close to bad enough to distract me from the song itself. "St. Anger" is one of the few albums that has done that.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Guru

Heard the leaked album (couldn't resist!). Overall I hated it. It is nowhere near Master or Ride. The last 3 or 4 tracks are not too bad but mostly I just scanned through it and nothing held my interest.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Heard it on the radio...good gawd that snare sounds like crap.

I saw Metallice when I was 13 in Austin at the Frank Erwin Center. It was the Master Of Puppets tour opening for Ozzy (Ultimate Sin/Jake E Lee). Cliff Burton on bass. It was so cool it blew my mind. They sounded amazing back then. I remember when I hear Ride The Lightning...I had never heard anything like that before at all.
Old 13th September 2008
Jai guru deva om

My friend bought this today and we're listening to it in the studio now.

It's better than I expected at least, I will admit that.

I think my biggest complaint overall is Hetfield's vocals, he's still doing that "Of Wolf and Man" stuff that just doesn't fit a thrash style.

They're ripping themselves off all over the record, but overall it's better than I expected.

And yes, Ride the Lightning era that stuff was mind blowing in 1984!

War
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

This new metallica stuff is laugh out loud bad.

Lars can't hit the drums, tune the drums nor play in time!

This band utterly lacks the feel for Heavy music and they have gotten too old. They should just retire like the old accountants they are and just keep tabs on their portfolio of shares and that their real estate investments are up to snuff.

They can't play Thin Lizzy covers, they can't play Mettalica covers. What the hell do they do?

Fire Lars! No doubt he came up with the bullsh1t ideas like Death Magnetic... what utter ponses. Grow some balls!

Peace and love,
cortisol
Old 14th September 2008
Gear Addict

just watched the video on you tube and heard the song for the first time.
hell, it's the pits!
this is the worst drumsound and drumming i've heard in a long time. actually most rehearsal room demos i get around here sound better than this.
when the drums first set in i thought this was a joke à la 'Eric Clapton Shreds', it's so bad. i still can't believe they're serious.

the song itself is a pathetic try to sound like a mixture between old FREE or BAD COMPANY stuff and Deep Purple's CHILD IN TIME. the guitar player even nicks some of Richie Blackmore's licks. unfortunately his skills aren't sufficient to even do that.

it's a shame. i would never ever, ever spent a cent on such a record.

tom

analoghaus :: studio label verlag - home
Old 14th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
back in the day they had a vibe... then they cut their hair together and made cheesy pop-rock songs, then they made the worst heavy rock/lite metal album they could possibly make, now they are a caricature of their good and bad days, and package accordingly.
Exactly. They're a waste of time now.
Old 8th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened View Post

As most of you may probably remember I am the guy that hates most sound engineers, and today I think it has all come to a head. Now Rick Rubin is at the top of my **** list for destroying one of my favorite bands of all time...
I don't have time to read all 5 pages of this thread, so I apologize if this is a redundant opinion, but Rick Rubin didn't play any part of Metallica being "destroyed"....they did that one their own with everything they've released since Metallica was released in '91 long before (as you know) Rubin's involvement with the group. Maybe I'm adapting the ideals of a grumpy old man, but the question should be asked:

"Do people over the age of 18 care what they do these days?"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search