The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think of the mix on Metallica's new track "The Day That Never Comes" Other Controllers
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Nut

Sounds like it was mixed in PTLE with plugins, seriously. There is some huge latency on that kick and too much 4K.

Odd.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
Because successful production is choosing the correct manner to approach a record based on the artist. A band like The White Stripes *SHOULD* be produced 'raw.' On the other hand, a band like Metallica--especially when returning to their heavier roots--needs to sound a lot more polished and tight.

That's just my opinion though.
Fair enough. I'm not a Metallica fan, so hearing somethiung like this was pretty refreshing for me. I can definitely understand how other folks who enjoyed this band back in the day are put off by this new one.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
OK. Just take off the T-Shirt and listen to it now.

I believe you when you say if you'd made anything that good you'd show it off.

I see you're inflicted with the same disease a lot of forum posters are, selective reading. I said if it were me and I were making the CLAIM that my engineering works was better I would at least attempt to back that claim up. NOT, that if I made anything that good I would show it off. I'm not one to make claims that my work is better than anyone else's, and I certainly don't go around showing off my work, unless a client asks to hear previous work I've done as a reference.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
I see you're inflicted with the same disease a lot of forum posters are, selective reading. I said if it were me and I were making the CLAIM that my engineering works was better I would at least attempt to back that claim up. NOT, that if I made anything that good I would show it off. I'm not one to make claims that my work is better than anyone else's, and I certainly don't go around showing off my work, unless a client asks to hear previous work I've done as a reference.
You mean "afflicted".

I never claimed my work was better. Who in their right mind would claim to make better records than Metallica?
I just said I didn't like it and think it sounds ****.

PM me if you want a personalised **** off
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
I'm not trying to argue, but I'm curious to hear what you'd have done different if you had a band like Metallica back in 91. I was in grade school back then, so I guess I just liked the tunes... maybe I can't get past those initial impressions to see how it actually sounds bad?

What it is about that album that made it sound bad to you? I think it sounds great. However, I think Pantera recordings sound bad. I guess a lot of people would call me names for that right?

Anywho, just my opinions man. Just curious what your reasons are for saying that. heh
Hehe, serves me right I suppose.

The Black album is the best sounding record they made, for sure. It was released around the same time as the GNR record which surpassed it on every level.

The reasons I think it sounds like a demo:
Very thin sounds in general. Lots of DI acoustic guitars with chorus. Terrible mixes. Really loud gated snare drums.

And this is their best sounding record.
It may not of sounded like a demo 20 years ago but put it up against any other popular record of the time and it starts to fail as a recording.

Obviously YMMV LOL
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean "afflicted".
Here we go...

BTW, your spelled 'personalized' wrong....
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
Here we go...

BTW, your spelled 'personalized' wrong....
Ha!

Don't start something you can't finish. The proper way to spell personalised is "personalised".
We only let you lot get away with putting random Z's here and there because we can't nuke you without your permission.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
We only let you lot get away with putting random Z's here and there is because we can't nuke you without your permission.
And don't you forget it!! heh

(just having fun)
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
And don't you forget it!! heh

(just having fun)
Hehe.

Me too of courzz.
Old 6th September 2008
Quote:
Fair enough. I'm not a Metallica fan, so hearing somethiung like this was pretty refreshing for me. I can definitely understand how other folks who enjoyed this band back in the day are put off by this new one.
Yeah, but I'm more put off by the lack of forward progress (at least St. Anger attempted that) than what they did. This is their first record that they aren't honestly trying anything we haven't seen before.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

I just heard the new Metallica album front to back. I'm hoping the mixing and mastering on the final CD are different than what I am hearing. But I will say this, don't judge the album off the first two songs.

There is a healthy dose of Hetfield's right hand all over the album. It's actually some of the coolest sounding fast guitar parts that I have heard in a while.

This is not my favorite Metallica album, but I still think it's going to rank in a "good" category.

The autotune on his voice in "Unforgiven III" was disappointing. I already like this album better than anything since the Black Album. I will be buying it.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, but I'm more put off by the lack of forward progress (at least St. Anger attempted that) than what they did. This is their first record that they aren't honestly trying anything we haven't seen before.
sometimes you have to take step sideways before you can take another step forward.

however, i don't think it matters w/metallica because they always seem to step in sh*t.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Addict

Oddly enough, for far-gone early 90's 'Merican heavy rock gods, I really kinda enjoyed the leaked 'Chinese Democracy' tracks I've heard. It's not 'Pet Sounds', but it isn't terrible either.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean "afflicted".

I never claimed my work was better. Who in their right mind would claim to make better records than Metallica?
I just said I didn't like it and think it sounds ****.

PM me if you want a personalised **** off

You're right, afflicted, so I have poor grammar. I would also like to apologize if I misunderstood your post, sounded to me like you were saying you could show us plenty of better recordings that you had done.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, but I'm more put off by the lack of forward progress (at least St. Anger attempted that) than what they did.
I must have missed something...how was "St Anger" even an attempt at forward progress?

In any case, it all comes back to the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing...although it does seem that most people want Metallica to move backwards, not forwards...
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Nut

I kinda like it!

And if it didn't sound so f'ing harsh (wth, totally clipped or something?) I think the mix wouldn't be so bad.
Old 6th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
I must have missed something...how was "St Anger" even an attempt at forward progress?
The concept behind St. Anger was a rebellion against form, structure and technique (both studio and musical). To capture the raw essence of violent anger. In many ways it was a deconstructionist, postmodern concept for doing an album.

It backfired on them, but at least there was some thinking going on, some attempt to be different.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMarvel View Post
It's not 'Pet Sounds',
Thx for clearing that up. heh

I also liked the Chinese Democracy stuff... though I'm not sure whatever happened w/ it. There was a single on the radio about a year ago then...
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
The concept behind St. Anger was a rebellion against form, structure and technique (both studio and musical). To capture the raw essence of violent anger. In many ways it was a deconstructionist, postmodern concept for doing an album.

It backfired on them, but at least there was some thinking going on, some attempt to be different.
That sounds good in theory, but when I watch Some Kind of Monster (making of St. Anger ), I just see a bunch of confused guys that are trying to figure out how to compete with what the younger bands were doing on the radio. They totally lost confidence in themselves. Plus, there's something that's just not that authentic about multi-millionaires singing about rage and pain after they get back from group-hug therapy.
Old 7th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Plus, there's something that's just not that authentic about multi-millionaires singing about rage and pain after they get back from group-hug therapy.
There hasn't been much authentic about them since 1995 anyways....
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille View Post
- Guitars out of tune. That's... NOT... ok! (listen to clean rhythm guitar on TDTNC, I still can't believe that this went through mastering)

First thing I noticed...

I'm not a Metallica fan at all - maybe I'd think it was cool if I was still 15 - but the album's a mess...appalling production/engineering job and very dull, pompous songs about nothing.
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

I just want to know when all these engineers became so lame at recording drums that they have to replace them!!! These snare rolls sound like ****..like a frickin sample with no velocity !
Old 8th September 2008
Here for the gear

weird, because I just listened to the song and was thinking about making a thread about how ****ty the mix was..then I saw this one. Glad to see that I'm not a lone.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

what ive heard so far, i like it a LOT !

if those records suck, i would be pleased to hear what you guys are working on
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

This thread is funny.
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think you might have overlooked what they were trying to do. The snare, the kick, sloppy guitars, the lack of automation, etc are intentional. The already stated that they wanted it to sound rough. They're trying to build some credibility once again by not sounding polished and sterile like most albums these days.
I think that it's the only thing they have done right in the past 15 years. I like to hear things that are rough and it gives a more authentic feel which Metallica desperately needs.
However, I still don't care for them.
Problem is, they need to be able to play better to pull something like this off. The fact that the drums are sticking out in the mix just shows more readily that Lars needs to practice more.
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
weird, because I just listened to the song and was thinking about making a thread about how ****ty the mix was..then I saw this one. Glad to see that I'm not a lone.
Interestingly, I just emailed a bunch of my musician friends about how terrible this mix is. When I thought about it a bit longer.. I knew I didn't need to start a thread about it on here and I knew there would already be one.
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

Metallica got ragged on for years because they were putting out albums that were not raw enough and had no personality.
Now, they put out something w/ some rugged charm to it yet they still get torn apart.
I'm not a Metallica fan and I don't like the new songs but I definitely understand what they were doing and none of it was by mistake. No offense here, but I really don't think most gearsluts "get it". Any time something comes like this comes along, and succeeds, musicians and production guys get offended because it defies what they are struggling so hard to achieve.
Not to flag on you, but the problem isn't about our misinterpretation of what their (Metallica's) intentions are in this album - we know they want to sound raw like the old days. The problem is that rawness doesn't = sloppiness and haphazardness. There is effort and intention in making a raw album just as there is with a polished one. This Metallica song and mix though doesn't show any of this. Believe me when I tell you that most of the Metal and Rock I like is raw.. and none of it is this poorly executed. To me this is amateur hour like something I'd expect from a learning engineer and band.
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I have had the leaked album for a few days now (I am buying it and would have bought it the day it came out regardless of the quality) and have to say I really like it!

It's no MOP or AJFA but anybody seriously expecting it to be the same as what they did 20 years ago is an idiot.

The sloppy guitar solos is what irks me the most, actually even the melodic content of the solos annoys me, almost all of them plain suck.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayphish View Post
Not to flag on you, but the problem isn't about our misinterpretation of what their (Metallica's) intentions are in this album - we know they want to sound raw like the old days. The problem is that rawness doesn't = sloppiness and haphazardness. There is effort and intention in making a raw album just as there is with a polished one. This Metallica song and mix though doesn't show any of this. Believe me when I tell you that most of the Metal and Rock I like is raw.. and none of it is this poorly executed. To me this is amateur hour like something I'd expect from a learning engineer and band.
Sloppy playing is very humanizing and appeals to some people.
Remember in the mid 90's when Korn, Deftones, and all these new-metal bands came out? The performance on most of those albums was attrocious but the kids LOVED it because it was far more honest than the polished swill that had been around for so long.

I'm not saying that you're supposed to like it. Nobody on a board called "gearslutz" is supposed to like it. But's it's silly for all these guys to act as if, somehow, all these things slipped past the band, producer, mixer, mastering house, and all the various people involved in the making of a album from a HUGE band like this. They knew what they were doing and many people are loving them for it. You may not like it, but it isn't wrong and Metallica isn't stupid (just whiny).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search