The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think of the mix on Metallica's new track "The Day That Never Comes" Other Controllers
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
haha

They should have been "Pantene".

War
Being an avid Pantera fan, nothing gives me more pleasure then showing people the first few albums, when they were like this. Some of my friends seriously thought I photoshopped the pics...
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hetfield is still a very decent live vocalist, although I like old "barking" Hetfield and not this new stuff.
i've always thought that hetfield is the crappiest live singer i've ever heard from a big-time band

BUT...even with it sometimes sounding drawn-out and uninspired, and with crappy mixing and mastering, i still find myself liking this album
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Listen for very lazy footwork by Lars, and lots of cheats in general.

Kirk and James still seem to do their best at bringing the most full guitar sounds to the game, even live. Hetfield is still a very decent live vocalist, although I like old "barking" Hetfield and not this new stuff.

Trujillo I would like to see with them, he seems very energetic and we know the guy can play.

War
Listen to the kick really close. It is either the wrong track or lars can not play drums AT ALL. This song made us shut the radio off on a job site when the radio station decided to play it every 30 minutes. It should have been called "The Song That Would Never End". I keep hearing this really strange "pre-ringing" on the snare. It also sounds like a jam session where the guitar player keeps saying "FOLLOW ME, FOLLOW ME!!! and the rest of the band tries its very best to follow. I hate it when a formrely great band comes out w/ material that actually makes you cringe!!!
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

interesting mix's. Seems like there's alot of meat in there, but could be a little over compressed. Every now and again I hear some nice guitar leads/fills in there though.

The day that never comes got some catchy phrases in there. I've never heard any guitar tones like what's in the intro before! Super clean or sheen. It's got that Metallica style of harmony we all love.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict

Admins, please delete this thread!!
Old 5th September 2008
CKK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
So why the f¤%& don't they go back to Denmark to work with Flemming?
Probably the only guy on the planet right now who has the balls to tell the guys their songs stink and their performance isn't even on par with any ol' metallica coverband south of the north pole...

I mean, we all saw this coming; total and utter failure...the idea of having Rick Rubin's ( who in my book is a great producer) hands off production style in stead of Bob "the master of cut and paste" Rocks (who's also a great producer) pampering would be a disaster for a band who's drummer can't play straight 4/4 and make it groove... Anyone who saw "Some kind of monster" knows that dropping Bob is equivalent to running a kindergarten with no supervision; allowing the two most snotty kids on the face of the earth to rule the grounds...

Leaving it to the band to get their **** together and deliver a kick ass album worked like a charm with Red hot chili peppers, Slayer, Dixie Chicks etc... But with a band that's about as inspired and inspiring as drinking warm orange juice... Hmmmm.... Well...

just my 2c

Morten

They should get their rich asses back to a small'ish "dirty" studio like the Sweet Silence in Copenhagen just to get them down on the ground again, not thinking about the catering, playstation, poolboard and overall sterile environment in most todays top studio's. Its rock'n'roll for crying out loud - it needs to be dirty and smelling of sweat, and that vibe might be a little too hard to get in to when no one is spitting on the floor and yelling "tits, fart, cünt, ass" while smoking a fat one and drinking heavily. Todays studio's are just to nice and polished and the staff are too well shaved for rock'n'roll.

Flemming would have done a wonderfull job with these guys - I think he is the only one who can do it.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

i justen listen "you tube" sound quality, so ican´t really judge.
But the snare masks the voice, frequency fighting.
Snare is very loud and sounds like one sample used, listen to the rolls.
Drums are very forward, but its a metallica standard, maybe i should listen loud...
Drum performance is questionable...
the metal guitars are very rock/vintage, could have more bite , also sound hyper compressed, phasy too??
rhythm guitars are ofetn very in the middle, why?
the whole song doesn´t sound like a union to me...

maybe its the you tube version... i hope

this guitar solos doesnt get me, the agressive parts aren´t agressive,
the "fat" parts don´t blow me away, cause, the part before is too loud and sounds more open / clean guitar

I grew up with Metallica and ill never forget this...Love + Peace, but i hoped for more
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
I've never heard any guitar tones like what's in the intro before!
Really?
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict

Well the tune I heard sounds like unforgiven III. All bright clear and digital. I did not really care for the song or the sound of the mix really.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Unforgiven III starts off with a piano and most of the song sounds identical to STP's 90s song Creep.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Metallica got ragged on for years because they were putting out albums that were not raw enough and had no personality.
Now, they put out something w/ some rugged charm to it yet they still get torn apart.
I'm not a Metallica fan and I don't like the new songs but I definitely understand what they were doing and none of it was by mistake. No offense here, but I really don't think most gearsluts "get it". Any time something comes like this comes along, and succeeds, musicians and production guys get offended because it defies what they are struggling so hard to achieve.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKK View Post
They should get their rich asses back to a small'ish "dirty" studio like the Sweet Silence in Copenhagen just to get them down on the ground again,
Its rock'n'roll for crying out loud - it needs to be dirty and smelling of sweat,
Todays studio's are just to nice and polished and the staff are too well shaved for rock'n'roll.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post

Metallica got ragged on for years because they were putting out albums that were not raw enough and had no personality.
Now, they put out something w/ some rugged charm to it yet they still get torn apart.
I'm not a Metallica fan and I don't like the new songs but I definitely understand what they were doing and none of it was by mistake. No offense here, but I really don't think most gearsluts "get it". Any time something comes like this comes along, and succeeds, musicians and production guys get offended because it defies what they are struggling so hard to achieve.

Well said, the thread has wandered from the mix quality of the first single (based on youtube mostly it seems ). As i have said previously, the new album does actually kick ass somewhat. I'm not a huge metallica fan but they are somewhat back to their best here. Shame about the solos though. Waaaaaaaaay too sloppy.
Old 5th September 2008
Quote:
Metallica got ragged on for years because they were putting out albums that were not raw enough and had no personality. Now, they put out something w/ some rugged charm to it yet they still get torn apart.
I guess they picked the wrong thing to be raw, and an inappropriate rugged charm.

You mention we shouldn't bash something they "struggled" on--a band with the experience that Metallica have shouldn't really have to struggle to release an album unless it's unbelievably great.

Just my thoughts.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
You mention we shouldn't bash something they "struggled" on--.
No, you must've misunderstood.
It doesn't sound like they struggled with this at all. They just banged it out and left the mistakes. Lars said that Rick made them do it that way. They wrote everything top-to-bottom and then came in to record it, as if it was gig. Rick intended to take away the building prosess that tends to polish up a record.

I said that guys like professional engineers and musicians get pissed about albums like this or bands like White Stripes because it's sloppy, yet highly successful.
When a pro engineer/producer/mixer is making a living by struggling to perfect everything and along comes somone who just lays it down like they were in the garage w/ a 4-track, and gets adored for it, there is often some envy there.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Where does everyone get their info about these sessions? I have none, so I'm just really curious how Rubin would work with a band who has been hand-held by a guy like Rock for 10 years (or whatever).

No matter what anyone says about the song or performance... the drums kill it for me. I dunno what happened there, but when I have to turn the song down just because the broken snare drum hurts my poor ears then I think it's kinda bad.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Nut

I like the album... a lot!!! I'm loving to hear some fast guitar riffs played again by James.
Ride the lightning is still my favorite one... But I dig Death Magnetic.
SBlue
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Nut

I both like and dislike the album.

+ Some stuff are really cool and inspiring.
+ It's fast and it's thrash!
- The mix is crap. Very boring. Guitar sounds ok, drums sounds terrible. But worst of all - the whole mix is DISTORTED! It sounds crap. Lars and Rick, digital distortion on snare is NOT beautiful!
- Guitars out of tune. That's... NOT... ok! (listen to clean rhythm guitar on TDTNC, I still can't believe that this went through mastering)

Broken, Beat & Scarred has some cool riffs and a cool chorus.
All Nightmare Long is brutal! But it's a little bit messy and too long (like many other songs).
Cyanide has a nice chorus.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Go here to hear 6 new tunes streaming in a more high res format than YouTube. Not sure what some of you guys are hearing by what I am reading but it sounds pretty clean on the site... for what it is. To me it lacks some bottom end for my taste given the genre of music but I am not sure what everyone is grinding on over this release. It beats the last Metallica release by leaps and bounds.

Metallica.com
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

I'm one of the few (around here at least) who kind of likes it. It may be just because, after "St Anger", just about anything would be a welcome releif, but I think this is a bit of a return to form for them. It almost sounds to me like it would fit in between "Justice" (relatively dry sound, longer song structures, time and feel changes etc) and the Black album (a little looser, drums a bit more fatter, more melodic) somewhere. And it sounds kind of like I expected it to sound when I heard Rubin was involved (and, honestly, kind of how I'd hoped the last one would sound when I heard they were going for a more stripped-down approach). I don't like it as much as "Justice" (which is probably still my favorite album of theirs) and I haven't heard the whole thing but I still have high hopes for it. Also, the fact remains that they're more than 20 years older than they were when they did "Justice".

Quote:
I think the new track they released shows a great example of how an artist can have a great song and vision, and in the production, it can all be ruined. How disappointing and what a travesty. The mix on this thing is pathetic and totally uninspired.
First off, I'm not sure how you can complain about the production and sonics of this after "St Anger"...sure, this may not be what you were hoping for but it's not nearly as bad...

If this really were a great song, then the mix wouldn't really matter as much. It helps, but a great song will shine through a relatively static mix.

Quote:
While I find "And Justice For All..." to be a kind of too perfect and mechanical / dry / compressed sound, their playing is top notch and required no beat detective or anything else.
I think I may disagree there. I'd have liked it if it were a little less perfect myself, but even though they didn't have beat detective, they pretty much did the same thing as they "assembled" the drum parts. The drums were played just a few measures at a time, and things were spliced together...at times they'd even measure the tape to make sure that the timing was as precise as possible...they got the results they were looking for, but they came as close to programming the drum parts as they could without actually doing so. Lars did play everything on the album, but it wasn't a performance.

This isn't just internet rumor-type stuff, either...they were very open about how they recorded the ablum in magazine interviews at the time. I'm sure I still have some of those magazines.

Quote:
I mean, we all saw this coming; total and utter failure...the idea of having Rick Rubin's ( who in my book is a great producer) hands off production style in stead of Bob "the master of cut and paste" Rocks (who's also a great producer) pampering would be a disaster for a band who's drummer can't play straight 4/4 and make it groove... Anyone who saw "Some kind of monster" knows that dropping Bob is equivalent to running a kindergarten with no supervision; allowing the two most snotty kids on the face of the earth to rule the grounds...
Again, after the Bob Rock-produced fiasco "St Anger" I figured Rubin would be a change and offer a raw (in comparison to the Black album and Load variations), but not intentionally crappy-sounding, album and it sounds like that's what's happened.

Quote:
Yeah, they're kind of in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't"-type situation...
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

....word.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Wow. Metallica completely SUCK at making good sounding records.

They haven't made 1 record that doesn't sound like a demo in 30 years.

Not a fan, so tell me if I'm wrong. "Enter Sandman" is not a valid entry, BTW.
Old 5th September 2008
Quote:
Lars said that Rick made them do it that way.
As usual they are passing the buck....

Quote:
I said that guys like professional engineers and musicians get pissed about albums like this or bands like White Stripes because it's sloppy, yet highly successful.
Because successful production is choosing the correct manner to approach a record based on the artist. A band like The White Stripes *SHOULD* be produced 'raw.' On the other hand, a band like Metallica--especially when returning to their heavier roots--needs to sound a lot more polished and tight.

That's just my opinion though.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
They haven't made 1 record that doesn't sound like a demo in 30 years.
Weird quote... the black album might not be ur cup o tea, but it does not sound like a demo. If you have some better recordings please post...?? I know I sure don't have anything nearly as good.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Nut

My heavens - this mix does sound a bit odd!

Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
Weird quote... the black album might not be ur cup o tea, but it does not sound like a demo. If you have some better recordings please post...?? I know I sure don't have anything nearly as good.
Like I said I'm not a fan. Is the black album the one now called "Metallica" from 1991?
Sounded **** to me back then and sounds worse now. But it's not my thing so, yes I could show you plenty of better recordings, from my point of view.

Am I going to? **** no.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like I said I'm not a fan. Is the black album the one now called "Metallica" from 1991?
Sounded **** to me back then and sounds worse now. But it's not my thing so, yes I could show you plenty of better recordings, from my point of view.

Am I going to? **** no.

You said they've never made an album that didn't sound like a demo. The "Black Album", as it's referred to by a majority of fans, whether your cup o tea or not, most certainly does not sound like a demo. If you really feel that way then I hope you aren't an engineer. You don't have to like the music, you don't even have to like the mix engineers work but the "Black Album" doesn't sound anything like a demo.

Wonder why you wouldn't show off some of your recordings that are sonically better than anything from the black album? If it were me and I was making the claim that my engineering work was better than that of the black album then I would be more than happy to back up those claims.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Am I going to? **** no.
I'm not trying to argue, but I'm curious to hear what you'd have done different if you had a band like Metallica back in 91. I was in grade school back then, so I guess I just liked the tunes... maybe I can't get past those initial impressions to see how it actually sounds bad?

What it is about that album that made it sound bad to you? I think it sounds great. However, I think Pantera recordings sound bad. I guess a lot of people would call me names for that right?

Anywho, just my opinions man. Just curious what your reasons are for saying that. heh
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblue View Post
I like the album... a lot!!! I'm loving to hear some fast guitar riffs played again by James.
Ride the lightning is still my favorite one... But I dig Death Magnetic.
SBlue
Lars! Wassup bro?

It's a joke. Relax.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
You said they've never made an album that didn't sound like a demo. The "Black Album", as it's referred to by a majority of fans, whether your cup o tea or not, most certainly does not sound like a demo. If you really feel that way then I hope you aren't an engineer. You don't have to like the music, you don't even have to like the mix engineers work but the "Black Album" doesn't sound anything like a demo.

Wonder why you wouldn't show off some of your recordings that are sonically better than anything from the black album? If it were me and I was making the claim that my engineering work was better than that of the black album then I would be more than happy to back up those claims.
OK. Just take off the T-Shirt and listen to it now.

I believe you when you say if you'd made anything that good you'd show it off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search