The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think of the mix on Metallica's new track "The Day That Never Comes" Other Controllers
Old 3rd September 2008
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
So why the f¤%& don't they go back to Denmark to work with Flemming?
Shouldn't we be able to say f*ck at least in metal threads? stike haha

I saw an interview with Kirk a long time ago where he claimed Flemming was maybe a bit too mechanical for their tastes.

Then again, I think the Black Album was a concerted effort to reach the masses, and overall the reason for Bob Rock.

War
Old 3rd September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Shouldn't we be able to say f*ck at least in metal threads? stike haha

I saw an interview with Kirk a long time ago where he claimed Flemming was maybe a bit too mechanical for their tastes.

Then again, I think the Black Album was a concerted effort to reach the masses, and overall the reason for Bob Rock.

War
I can't find that thread that had Flemming's recall sheets (of Metallica), does anyone has a link?
Old 3rd September 2008
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Man, I hate ripping on bands that I once loved, but...

Today I heard the new single for this album, on the radio for the first time and I couldn't believe it.

It sounded like they took every cool idea they ever had in their other "ballads" and just slapped it together. It has the Fade To Black intro (except horribly played and poorly improvised note choices with no "cool factor") It has the clean verse with very bad lyrics and a poor melody. It gets heavy and riff for a bit then goes back to clean, but I can't even remember what they played. Then it has the middle eight which is a cross between a machine gun "One" style riff and fade to black..... ugh.

It's the kind of song I would have written whan I was 15 years old, trying to copy Metallica.

The lost me after the load, re-load thing. Those two albums grew on me and they are very well done. Everything since then has been crap.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

The Production is interesting , but the Guitars could of been more metal and not as rock natural sounding - And again they really need a producer that will help them with their songwriting and arrangments - it is still falling a bit short - the arrangment is a bit boring - the end is cool mind you - they kinda need a bit of a co writer on their stuff - and they should really go back to their roots that would be great !! Ariel
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Addict

I've heard the two singles (the day..., my apocalypse) last week and I'm dissapointed in every way.

not only the sound also the arrangements and everything lacks any kind of definition. they used to have such a big sound in the nineties...
also stylewise... I read somewhere that Rubin asked them to forget about everything they did before and define themselves new and Metallica was amazed by that approach having that in mind all the time during the songwriting and recording... and now?
it sounds like a sloppy mix of everything they've already done better.

too bad...but I'm into different music these days anways.

well, this is just MY impression, my first impression, I'd have to listen the
whole thing.

no need to bash Rubin though, he did some great stuff, and I can imagine working with a big band like Metallica probably leaves the producer less influence then on other projects.
Old 3rd September 2008
Jai guru deva om

I'm sure Rick Rubin didn't have much input on it between his cell phone calls in the hallway...

I keed! I keed!

War
Old 3rd September 2008
Here for the gear

death magnetic

I think the title says it all...

They smashed the VU on the ampex, and then Ted Jensen smashed the VU on the Hedd.

Nice jobb at smashing good stuff boys, way to go!!!

I don't get it...
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

I've preordered the album to be sent to my door and I have listened to the leak and I really like it, Judas Kiss is an outstanding song. Some of Kirk's solos have you wondering why they didn't let James have a go though.
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Nut

Just an FYI.

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - METALLICA Representative Addresses Complaints Over 'The Day' Sound Quality

Not sure if it's true but at least it explains a bit.

I went looking for a refund on itunes the distortion was so bad in spots...
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Addict

Wow.

I don't like Metallica, never really have except for maybe Ride The Lightning, but Mustaine wrote that for them anyway..heh

Now I think they've sunk to a new low. I mean wow. I found that new song VERY poor.

There is raw.. and then there is sloppy and tired.

As for the strangeness in the stereo image, yes it's there. The whole drumkit is mono except for a few parts where it seems to burst into stereo and back to mono. mostly when tom rolls occur. It HAS to be on purpose, I simply can't buy that anyone let that happen by mistake..
Old 4th September 2008
Quote:
There was no bass on And Justice For All...
I always wondered if that was because James & Lars couldn't mix it with the guitar without getting mud, or just to be jerks to Newsted.

Justice really bugged me when it came out because the lack of bass, the loss of the bottom and richness that Newsted brought to the table. I mean, listen to Garage Days from 1987--Jason's bass sounds rippin' and his playing was excellent. The band sounded GREAT and that was all live, rough and with feel (and a couple of minor, forgivable mistakes). They really missed out on using the great talent that Jason Newsted had, never really tapped into that at all.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trujillo I would like to see with them, he seems very energetic and we know the guy can play.
Plus, he's the only guy in Metallica that's excited about being in Metallica.

Aaaaaaand, maybe therein lies the problem.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

I think Lars mixed the disc through headphones on his laptop.
Old 4th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Plus, he's the only guy in Metallica that's excited about being in Metallica.
He's also the only guy in the band that's probably not worth a few hundred million dollars.
Old 4th September 2008
Jai guru deva om

Hell yeah, Garage Days is something to toss in when you want to get jacked on what is really the final great hoorah for that band (Jason did sound great, good tone, good playing, it really fit). Justice was a new direction, but at least it was real thrash. They haven't played real metal since, it's more like AC/DC style "jock rock" by comparison (which is fine but isn't Metallica).

War
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

holy snare drum batman !!!

i just cannot OFFICIALLY judge the new metallica song unless i am able to take a ride at 3 am, going 85 mph on dark country roads, hopped up on mountain dew in my 1987 camaro...blasting it from my $120 alpine cassette player into the "kickers" i picked up at walmart's car stereo section.......just as i first listened to them.

unfortunately...i don't drink mountain dew anymore.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

I wouldn't mind the song if it wasn't for the drums. Not what's being played, because whatever it's Lars choice what to play in his own band and that type of drumming doesn't bother me. But when the first snare hits it's so distorted and loud... scared me this morning cause I forgot it was coming.

But yea, I still listen to this song at least once a day because I do actually like it. I'm a sucker for a chorus that gets stuck in my head, and this one does for me. It's just a shame it sounds soooo bad. Like someone put a 57 on a torn speaker turned up too loud and re-recorded it like that.

I'm very curious to hear the CD. I can't imagine it sounding close to this badly recorded.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened View Post

They are the mightiest of all metal gods, and can be challenged by none... They are the band that sent thrash into the mainstream, and practically changed the perception of great metal as we know it. They have no equal. They are, of course, Metallica.

Blackened
That is hilarious....

Everyone knows that the mightiest of all metal gods and the leader of the four horsemen of the apocolypse is Lemmy!!
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

You may think it's hilarious, but he's right..

Heard the album several times now, some people are going to be pleasantly surprised if you think they sound like acdc!
Old 4th September 2008
Jai guru deva om

Eh, I guess I don't mean they sound "like" AC/DC but it's more in the hard rock vein. They're closer in category to them now than say...Pantera (and other bands ultimately inspired by the original Metallica lineup and sound).

War
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76 View Post
For my taste...the snare is a little too loud in the mix
I feel like it's more than a little too loud, it's also too dry IMO.
I'm also surprised about the sloppy playing...
I only listened to it on youtube though and only listened to the first minute or so.
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Trujillo I would like to see with them, he seems very energetic and we know the guy can play.

War
IMHO he's the highlight of the band nowadays.

PS: I turned it off after I heard the line 'love is a four letter word'. What is this, f^&king Pat Benatar? And the mixture of the overly loud, dry snare and the clakkity-clak AJFA bass drum sound was really, really ugly.

For new product from real metal gods, I'd suggest listening to Judas Priest's 'Nostradamas', maybe in 10-minute bursts, anyway.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Eh, I guess I don't mean they sound "like" AC/DC but it's more in the hard rock vein. They're closer in category to them now than say...Pantera (and other bands ultimately inspired by the original Metallica lineup and sound).

War
Oh the irony, given that Pantera started out as a cod, poodle perm, cock rock band then changed their image and music when they saw the way the wind was blowing...
Old 4th September 2008
Jai guru deva om

haha

They should have been "Pantene".

War
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

WTF!
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
I feel like it's more than a little too loud, it's also too dry IMO.
I'm also surprised about the sloppy playing...
I only listened to it on youtube though and only listened to the first minute or so.
The drum performance is very sloppy!
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Addict

Why bothering telling us what you think? The taste is like your ass they say
Everyone have different opinions. I think treads like this is ridiculous..
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

Metallica, Lol, Couldn't be bothered to see them at Reading Festival this year, coz? they blow, just sounds like a load of drivel to my ears, just a lame sound in general.

Couldn't care less about their new album.
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Addict

metallica are done

I had some hope for mr. rubin doin his magic on these guys - but after listening to the two songs I am thinking they are lost causes. totally uninspired pseudo 1986 thrash-jam sessions - no fire at all.

worst thing is that I believe james and lars know it and are not behind it. they do what they need to do, fullfil contracts, act like rockstars and play some music. kirk doesn't notice anyway and trujillo just is the kid that landed the deal of his life. sure its fun playing bass for grandpa hetfield and ulrich

there is so much new and exctiting trash out there that brings back that 86' vibe and is above and beyond what metallica are nowadays. just listen to municipal waste, meltdown, gama bomb and all that stuff. la is full of thrash kids that look and sound like they discovered some secret flux-capacitator that lars und james can only dream about.

*rant off!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search