The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Millenia HV3 / Great River MP-2NV / Crane Song Flamingo
Old 21st April 2005
Lives for gear

Millenia HV3 / Great River MP-2NV / Crane Song Flamingo / Grace Design 201

Hi, I'm about about to make a major decision re. preamps, and are looking for comments from people who have compared at least two of these four preamps. I have the 3dAudio CD's, but I'm sure there are people in here with a lot more experience with these units than listening to these CD's can provide....!
Thanks in advance.
Old 21st April 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio
but I'm sure there are people in here with a lot more experience with these units than listening to these CD's can provide....!
Yes... there are people here with experience with all of these pre's... the one thing they'll tell you is that they are all different.

Get all 3 in your building, work with them in various applications, pick the one that best suits your requirements at the moment, prioritize the ones you'll be getting next, then return the unused portion for a refund and start saving to acquire the next pre on your list.

...or at least that's why my experience would have me do... your mileage may vary.

Peace.
Old 21st April 2005
Lives for gear

You are of course right, but for various reasons it's very difficult to get hold of all these for testing at the same time where I live, so I's still appreciate comments from others...
Old 21st April 2005
Gear Maniac

Well none of em are going to have any effect on your song, your pitch your timing etc.
I think they will all be similar in the big picture of things.
If you're going to spend $2000 on a pre I hope that you have a mic that cost atleast $4000-.As far as sound quality goes, Mics and mic technique make much more of a difference that any of those 3 pres will make.
A great mic with a mackie pre will be better than a Neuman149 with any of the above pres.
If you want to look at the small narrow scheme of things. The crane song in clean mode and the millenia will sound similar. The Great River has a slight transformer coloring that you cant get rid of and i hear a slight dulling of the high end. I guess thats supposed to be warmth.
Old 21st April 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan
Well none of em are going to have any effect on your song, your pitch your timing etc.
If you're going to spend $2000 on a pre I hope that you have a mic that cost atleast $4000-.As far as sound quality goes, Mics and mic technique make much more of a difference that any of those 3 pres will make.
A great mic with a mackie pre will be better than a Neuman149 with any of the above pres.
If you want to look at the small narrow scheme of things. The crane song in clean mode and the millenia will sound similar. The Great River has a slight transformer coloring that you cant get rid of and i hear a slight dulling of the high end. I guess thats supposed to be warmth.
i don't think that's quite right. you do not need a 4k mic to justify 2 pres for 2k.

good A/D and pres w/ some 57s (or m300s or LOTS of stuff under 4k per mic) has produced LOTS of cool sounds....

a 4k mic into a mackie/digi 001 would probably still sound pretty weak.

am i wrong?
Old 21st April 2005
Lives for gear
Art Johan,
I completely, 100% disagree. With a mediocre pre, every mic sounds poor. With an excellent pre, even inexpensive mics sound passably good (and great mics sound stunning).

Also, $4K for a great mic is ridiculous. I mean, how much does a KM184 or AT4033 cost to mic an acoustic guitar?
Old 21st April 2005
urumita

I love my 57s, 604s and my PL80 through my HV3D8s with the DC input.
I have better mics. too and they sound great; tube, dynamic and ribbons into the DC input, mics that need phantom into the regular input, you can have 130V inputs too if you want. I would recommend the phase reverse option 50 bucks a channel for a few channels. I have phase invert patch cables.
I can't attest for the other 2. Maybe someday.
Old 21st April 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
So by that logic if Shure decided to charge 4 grand for an SM57 it would immediately become more worthy of use to you?
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

I use the Great River and the Flamingo and love them both.
For vocals, a SLAM wins every time but both the GR and Flamingo are excellent mic pres.

The GR has more of a 'sound', maybe fatter? it's all subjective.
The Flamingo is slightly cleaner, sounds great on overheads and acoustics.
The GR is better for ribbons. It's great for electric guitars too.
I don't think you can go wrong with either. Get both.
peace,
chap
Old 22nd April 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hmmm...

I never knew how good a $90 SM57 could sound until I bought a good preamp. The difference between a really good pre and a crappy one is immediately noticed with any microphone.

And your analogy seems to suggest that an M149 is not a great mic, which again is false. It isn't my favorite and it isn't right for everything, but for really accurate clear sound, it is definitely a very good microphone.
Old 22nd April 2005
Lives for gear

My Beta 58 sounds really good with the HV-3D. A good pre it´s a good pre
Old 25th April 2005
Lives for gear

So far I've ordered a Grace Design and a Great River.
Are there nobody in here that has compared any of these with Crane Song Flamingo? Based on some listening and reading, I'm really interested in this pre as well, but I'm still interested in comments from people who have been comparing them...
Old 2nd May 2005
Do a word search for Flamingohere.

You'll find lots of my comments. I won't bother collecting and pasting them here.
Old 2nd May 2005
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio
So far I've ordered a Grace Design and a Great River.
Are there nobody in here that has compared any of these with Crane Song Flamingo? Based on some listening and reading, I'm really interested in this pre as well, but I'm still interested in comments from people who have been comparing them...
A number of us have - I've used all of those (plus the Grace Designs) on various sessions. But it's gonna be up to you to decide what works best for you. As it happens, in the end I bought a Great River NV. That worked best for me. If I were doing more remote work, I'd definitely jump on the 8 channel Grace. It's very nice, and the 8 channel units make for a fairly good value. The Flaminge is an excellent preamp, and seemed to be quite clean to me (perhaps that was just in comparison to the other preamps I was playing with that day, or more likely, Dave Hill has better hearing than I do - the different settings sounded awfully similar to me). The Millennia is also a lovely pice of work - if I owned B&K's, I'd have to have the HV3 with the 130 volt option.

But none of this will really help you - you'll need to try 'em all yourself, just like you've started to do.
Old 2nd May 2005
Lives for gear

One mic pre that's pretty incredible and in this price range is the Inward Pre. Also the Martech MM10. But if I were to select from your list, I'd go with the Flamingo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search