The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha O1X DSP Audio Systems
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Yamaha O1X

Via mLan:

Audio interface +
Midi interface +
DAW control surface +
DSP Processing +

= O1X

Is this what we've been waiting for: the perfect Powerbook partner, DAW companion, remote recording all-in-one, tracking-room remote control, no-latency monitoring, Logic-friendly, "Mobile I/O" made by a real-live company?

-MattiMattMatt
Old 7th March 2003
Can anyone list a typical portable set up/

Powercore fierwire?
DAW software
Laptop
What interface? (perhaps just the desk?)
Powered speakers?

Thanks
Old 7th March 2003
Jules,

I currently take out a 1GHz Tibook running Logic 6 interfaced with a 6 space rack that holds an RME Digiface, two Presonus DigimaxLT 8-channel pre's w/Lightpipe out, two RNC's, a Lucid DA9624, and a Lucid GenX6-96. A bag og of mics, a few stands and a milkcrate full of cables and I'm all set to go!
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Or, with this new stuff:

Logic on a Powerbook
Yamaha 01X (over firewire)
Headphones

options:

Powercore Firewire
fancy A/D - Mic pre, e.g. Trak2
powered speakers

However, information on the 01X is a bit sketchy, e.g. Audio I/O.

http://messe.harmony-central.com/Mus...ha/PR/01X.html
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Don't you just love the big music shows?

It's what being a gearslut is all about!

As the blood rushes from my head to other areas, the money rushes from my credit card to other retailers....

I gotta get me one of these Yamaha 01x's. This just makes perfect sense. All they need to do is get people making great drivers for all software. Now if UAudio/Mackie produce a stand alone UAD-1 on firewire (smaller box please, and bus powered) I will be really excited. Do you think TC need a full 1RU box to fit the firewire powercore, or is it just for mounting ease? I don't mind paying a little extra for extended rack ears to fit a less-than-1RU unit into a rack, especially when the gear is supposed to be portable. I'll sell the Mbox (maybe) and take this to mix my acoustic shows, track each show directly to my iBook, and mix on it when I get home. Hopefully it will let me track the effects to a seperate track so I get dry and processed tracks, and hopefully it will let me rig up a monitor send to run my own IEM's.

I travel with my Icebook, my Mbox, and my Oxygen8 with Logic on the front end. What mics/headphones I carry depends on whether I am recording myself, or other people. Fits in backpack.
Old 6th May 2003
Mindreader

so has this been used by anyone yet??

http://www.yamahasynth.com/pro/01x/intr1.html
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Its not shipping yet. It will be available around September.
Old 12th May 2003
Gear Nut

Have worked with a G4/800(i think... clients not mine...) power book, 2 x MOTU 896 and the glyph twin 828alike firewire drive.

Simple effective and good results.

WILL be looking very closely at the 01X.....
seems Ideal.....
Spoke to Nick Howse at Yamaha Uk about this general idea sometime back.... (as a tangent to technical discussions re USB interfaces) but he didnt tell me the down and dirty details, as I gather there have been a number of changes to the overall package in the development process.

Given the speed of technological advance, mLan has great potential, we all thought it did way back when, but only now are we actually starting to see any really useful product......

More power to my visa card say I!!!

Max...... Lustfully dribbling again...
Old 25th May 2003
Here for the gear

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, came here looking for a problemsolving thread.
Didn't find it so far, but this seems closely related.

I have an 01v with an mLAN card in it (sold my ADAT card)

In osX the iBook needs to be master (which sux because then the rest of my stuff needs to sync to the iBook and if it needs to be resetted, well... clear i think)

If i record audio it is approx.2octaves to low but, duration is correct. Big chunks of pitched down audio. Weird....

os9 software (control panel and patchbay) work only once in a while, usually until i start using them with peak or any other app, then they give SYS or CRT errors or something awkward.
Sync drops on the most terrible moments.

I hope someone can give me some useful advice, since I'm getting a bit desperate.
All i wanted was a good multichannel interface for my iBook

Thx, PolyCorn
Old 25th May 2003
Gear Nut

Hi.
I dont have experience of the mLan card in the 01V... BUT
Your description of the symptoms sounds like a sample rate issue.
If you play back a 96Khz file at 44.1 It will sound about an octave and a quarter too low and welll WEIRD...(aprroximately , based on the fact that you are reducing the playback speed by just over half, you will also pitch down by the same factor.... and halving the frequency means dropping it an octave)

Also, If there is this sort of issue, its almost a given that the clocks are NOT synchronised correctly.

I would have expected the duration to have doublked as well, but it may be that it is because its playing the regions , which you have probably created to fit the arrangement, and therefore, the file is only played for the duration of the region..... But i would have thought you'd have noticed that...

Hope this is of some use ....
You dont tell us what application you're using.... so I can't be more specific about where to look for incorrect settings.

Where abouts are you based/????
Some of us do real time support for a living........
Maybe someone might offer to help out if they know you're just down the road....

Best of Luck, best regards
Max
Old 25th May 2003
Here for the gear

samplerate's wrong alright, but where...

Thank you for your fast reply

I used peak 3.2 in osx to record a stereo-stream and then already the problem occurs.

When I playback the recorded audio, i hear it as if it were pitched down, though the timing still works.
Sounds like pitching down with a window-size of 1/5th of a second or so.

This is when using CoreAudio for recording.

When I try it with HAL the input is extremely soft, and when cranked up sounds like 1bit resolution.

I play the files on HAL, CoreAudio and it makes no difference if I use the build in thing.

In Peak there's a dropdown menu in the "CoreAudio..." pop-up for selecting sync, but it only allows internal. I tried samplerate AUTO and 44100. No difference.

I live in the Hague, in The Netherlands, Europe, but budget doesn't allow for prof problemsolvers i'm afraid. Any other help would be most welcome though.

I also posted this item in the Computers and SoftwareTools section.

Greetz, PolyCorn
Old 25th May 2003
Here for the gear

....and

forgot to say:
when i play files that are recorded correctly, playback through mLAN (coreAudio) is fine. (though still mac=master, 01v is slave)
Old 25th May 2003
Here for the gear

I put a recording online so anyone who's willing to help out can give it a try.

it's small, ten seconds, but gives a good idea of what's going on. This was the Asian Dub Foundation before they were mLAN-ed.......

http://home.planet.nl/~sipke071/mlan-recording.aif
Old 11th June 2003
Here for the gear

worx now somehow

just to finish the mLan story. It works now in osX. I installed DECK 3.5, and suddenly all problems with peak were gone. (?!?)

After I uninstalled Deck all still was well.

Used the setup live twice now. Trust it..

Thanks to those who tried helping me out

grtz polycorn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search