The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
some things are just obscene.
Old 7th March 2003
There is only one

some things are just obscene.

i was looking at the mercenary used gear list. MXR minilimiters for $750?!? you GOT to be kidding me. MXR rack with 2 autoflangers and 2 autophasers for $3500!!! WTF?!? thats just retarded. next thing you know level-loc's will be $600. have audio engineers who pay those prices gone mad?
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Yeah... I usually window shop at Mercenary, then buy it cheaper elsewhere. You know it's bad when Ebay is cheaper...
Old 7th March 2003
Re: some things are just obscene.

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
iretarded. next thing you know level-loc's will be $600. have audio engineers who pay those prices gone mad?
Hey Alpha,

Maybe I shouldn't tell you what I sold my Level-loc for?

Psst....

($900 dolllars in cash!!!)

The guy didn't even sneeze when I asked him for it. heh

Hey when people gotta have it....
Old 7th March 2003
There is only one

a $50 podium compressor?!? fucking NUTS! actually the dudes an idiot for paying that much. you on the other hand are a genius.
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: some things are just obscene.

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Alpha,

Maybe I shouldn't tell you what I sold my Level-loc for?

Psst....

($900 dolllars in cash!!!)

The guy didn't even sneeze when I asked him for it. heh

Hey when people gotta have it....
Give that dude's email to Fletch...
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Addict

Since my sense of used gear prices are off of carefully picking through ebay, yeah, those prices seem high. Keep in mind, the costs of stocking, advertising, and selling gear in a bricks and mortar shop aren't free; in retail, you need to make either enough of a margin or enough volume to make it worthwhile, and volume is out with used gear; and these could be consignment items where the seller wants a specified amount of money out of the sale price, on top of which costs must be factored in.

Also, it's worth remembering Mercenary is probably good for a checkup that old gear is working okay and wont be DOA, and probably some form of tech support.

Mind you, I'm not one of their "repeat offenders" yet.

Bear
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Nut

He probably loves them , so he sets a high price to keep them for a while....

Amund
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Evrybody is talking about getting a gauge on prices by looking on Ebay. IMO some of the prices on Ebay are pretty high. The real deals are lurking in the mom and pop band instrument/guitar shops.

"Yeah we got this old microphone that says RCA on it. They don't use those anymore right? Hey we got this big tape machine that says Studer on it, we're sellin it for $50. These things are worthless since everybody got minidiscs."
Old 7th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

You know, the Autophasers are way cool - Fletcher loaned me a pair a couple of years back. And if I need to have them for a project, then I'd pay whatever I had to pay, and be happy that I could find them in working order. If I don't need them, then even $500 for the rack would be too much.

That's the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. I still don't think that '70's P Basses are worth $2000, either; 60's P Basses because valuable in the 70's because the 70's Fenders sucked so bad.... I'm apparently in the minority, though - I've seen the silly things sell for more than $2K.
Old 8th March 2003
member no 666

Amund hit the nail on the head... they're owned by the company so they have to be for sale... however, I really don't want to see them leave as they very often find their way into the work I'm doing... so... quandary, how do you offer something for sale that you don't want to sell? A: Make them so expensive that they won't sell... except to someone that knows how cool they are and has the coin to buy them... to quote Dan Alexander... "make me an offer I can't understand"
Old 8th March 2003
There is only one

well, its not ragging you for setting the price so freakin high... i can understand your view on it. hell i spent WAY too much on something i HAD to have a few years back when i could of spent less than half on their "newer" version.

whats funny about mercenary however is i called about information in getting a 2" 16 track a year or so ago... im still thinking about getting one, but i was kinda talked out of it. im still not sure if i want to get one or not. i just want it for basic tracking with mults out to digital. unfortunately, i dont think i can afford to do it RIGHT [i want it to be GREAt.... aria electronics, brand new heads etc...], but carcasses are coming down in price bigtime now, but tape supplies might be drying up.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

I've bought some gear from Fletcher that was priced fairly (he can't give it away).
There were a few pieces where I could have saved $40 or $50 bucks but it was Fletcher who took the time to inform me and I get the feeling that if something goes wrong, he'd step up to the plate and make it right. I think that's worth $50 bucks.....well $40 anyway.

I was shocked to see my Roland 3000 Digtal Delay listed somewhere as vintage and actually selling for about $1400 bucks. Does this mean my Quadra 950 is about to sky rocket?
cheers,
chap
Old 8th March 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
whats funny about mercenary however is i called about information in getting a 2" 16 track a year or so ago... im still thinking about getting one, but i was kinda talked out of it. im still not sure if i want to get one or not. i just want it for basic tracking with mults out to digital. unfortunately, i dont think i can afford to do it RIGHT [i want it to be GREAt.... aria electronics, brand new heads etc...], but carcasses are coming down in price bigtime now, but tape supplies might be drying up.
Fuck that. Get an MM1200 or MCI 2" 16 and have it rebuilt if you have the funds. Funny thing about headstacks, they sound better as they get more worn. The last 10% is the best they'll ever sound, like redlining. I'd love to have Aria electronics on my A80 1/4" but there's no way I can afford that right now. Plus, the stock electronics are fine as-is. Lots of good records have been made with them.

I don't see tape drying up anytime soon. It might become a boutique or 3rd world country thing though. Also, if your using it as a front end for a DAW you can rent the tape to bands and keep using the same reels over and over.

And just for the hell of it, there's a guy in my neck of the woods that has a pair of MM1100 2" 16 tracks for sale for under $3K IIRC. One is working, one is a parts deck. Drop me a line and I'll look up his email address. [email protected]
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear