The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording drums with Apogee Duet...which mics and where? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Recording drums with Apogee Duet...which mics and where?

the title says it all.
lets say u had two channels of apogee duet to record a drumset...what type of mics would you use and where would you place them?

mono overhead and inside (or outside) kick drum?
two room mics?

LDC? SDC? ribbons?

my current mics include Neumann tlm49, Oktava mk-012 pair, shure beta 52, cad m177s.
i'm open to suggestions.

thanks in advance.
Old 2nd September 2008

Generally, I like overheads in stereo, equadistant from the snare.

For a lot of styles, that won't give you enough bottom-thump on your kick drum. If you can get by with a thinner kick sound or can go and add in samples (or record a midi track from a trigger) then I'd go with your mk012 pair....

-tINY

Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
thanks fellas
nice link..i'll check that out.
ive since found a couple other threads on gearslutz about micing drums with two mics.
there's something fun about trying to get good sounds with a lot less.
the beatles did it..
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

I never have problems with a mono overhead sound. Leaves lots of room for other mix elements!

If it were me i'd have one very full sounding mic as the overhead (LDC perhaps or a ribbon) something that could never sound thin. You can always add a bit of top later but you need as much body as possible to the toms. I wouldn't have this mic too high because there's no way to fill in the toms later so make sure everything sounds full enough.

The 2nd mic I would again probably use an LDC but definitely something that can be in figure 8. I would put it in figure 8 and place it halfway between the kick batter head and the bottom of the snare. I would angle it to get optimum low end from both. You could point more direct up at the snare to get more beef from it or more direct horizontal to the kick to get more beef there.

I did a whole album with a mic like this and it actually worked fantastic for kick with some snare reinforcement. I used an AT4050 in figure 8 and this mic did a great job for a fairly hifi snare sound.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

I'd either have just 2 overheads.

1 overhead and kick mic

1 overhead and snare mic

stereo omni room mics placed very close to the floor for less cymbals and more kick.

Or a mono overhead and a mono room mic close to the floor.

Or use 2 sm57's as really close to the kits mikes
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

With proper mic selection the Recorderman technique (mentioned previously) will provide a solid, deep bass drum, and snare is very good.

I like lakeshorefatty's idea of using a fig-8 for bass/snare along with a mono overhead.
Old 23rd February 2009
Gear Nut

[bump]

So, if one was trying to do just a 3 piece kit, it'd be a lot simpler, I'd assume?

Any suggestions on how to mic a 3 piece using a 2-channel Duet and an SM58 and an MXL 990? Or do I need to get some more mics?

--jon
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

I'd fire away with the Oktava pair and look for a balanced sound, starting with a Glyn johns kind of setup.
Old 23rd February 2009
Gear Nut

I think anyone that hasn't seen this could benefit from a perusal; apologies if it's been posted here before. I know it's outside the parameters of the question, but if I needed stereo drums, I'd use this and a LCR mic mixer, so I needn't bypass the Duet's mic preamps. For mono, I'd place a LDC above the drummers head adjusting the height as necessary, and a second LDC four to six feet in front of the kit, again adjusting height for balance.
Old 23rd February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsays View Post

Any suggestions on how to mic a 3 piece using a 2-channel Duet and an SM58 and an MXL 990? Or do I need to get some more mics?

--jon
Suggestions?
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Nut

bump
Old 10th June 2009
Lives for gear

If this is what you have, make the best of it, make the arrangement of the song appropriate to the "instrument" you have. Stick one in the bass drum shell, place the other getting snare/hats, make the drummer work it out with snare rolls, hat fills, I bet he could hit the cymbals and they`d still be too loud.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search