The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm sure this question's been asked before.. Condenser Microphones
Old 5th March 2003
Here for the gear

I'm sure this question's been asked before..

Trying to find a DAW. Choices are Digi 002, Cubase SX or Nuendo.
Any comments on any of these? Looking for something professional where clients can track and take project to mix if need be...
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

I haven't had to deal with transferring my tracks to another studio to mix, so maybe I'm not the most equipped to deal with your question, but I've been using SX since it's premier, and I love it. I used cakewalk/sonar for years, and also have the 001. I don't like pro tools, personally. I respect it's power, but have no interest in using it again. Cubase SX sounds just awesome, is stupid easy to use and has great plug ins from the get go. I haven't used Nuendo, but I'm sure it's great too. I'm the kind of guy who likes to just go for the jugular when I track and not worry too much about anything but getting a great performance. Cubase SX is fast and it hasn't crashed once. The whole 002 set up seems nice. I don't know, check them all out and see what you like to use best. Personally, I'm a cubase guy until something better comes along.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

And for a frame of reference, I'm the kind of guy who'd rather use a 5 year old version of Master Tracks to do any midi sequencing ;-)

And if you're talking about a professional facility where clients can most definitely take their work to any other place, 002 is probably the way to go. Just mentioning pro tools on your website will make you look that much more professional. I'm lucky in that I'm no even considering being a real commercial facility owner any time soon, but if these are your concerns and you don't mind using PT, I'd go with that. It's the industry standard most definitely.
Old 5th March 2003
Here for the gear

Thanks...I was thinking along the same lines but feedback is always appreciated...
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

i would make sure the hardware supports the tools you wanna work with . in the " past " you had a slow computer and some a/ds , d/as . the computer wasnt really able to make some processing . so most people ended up

1) having heeps of d/as and using an analog frontend
2) having lots of dsp capacilitys and mixing in the box
3) having a digital mixer and feed that mixer with " cheaper "
conversion boxes like adat interfaces .

nowadays computers have reached a level in fact of power where its not a big deal doing it all in the box . the market has changed as well so there are now 3 major manufacturers you can choose from :

1) steinberg & pc
2) logic & mac
3) protools & mac/pc

not 1 of them is compatible to the others . you cant exchange sessions . the hardware controlers f.ex will only work for real if you are working with the tools they are made for . f.ex. you buy a control 24 , it wont support logic , even if you have the protools hardware .

steinberg & logic are kindalike the same . they both have great midi features , crazy plugins tons of options for synths and samplers and and and . so that means if you wanna create something i would pick on of those programs .

pro tools for me is a total different workhorse , it has still imho the best editing features for audio . it has all the tools inside you are asking for . compared to the others it looks more simple .
for me its defenately a professional recording solution . same with the plugins available . sure there are some crazy ones , too ... but still they are trying to adapt the classics like comps , eqs , reverbs into protools . a lot of the vst based plugs are just like that ... push one button and the sound will change into something you wouldnt expect . which is a cool option to have as well .

i would love to go pro tools only as well , but its pain that i cant control logic with that expensive setup . i am unable to decide , logic or protools . buttom line , i need both , that why my idea probably would be .

protools hardware , logic & pt software , fast computer and a digital mixer . so i am sure i can do what i want .
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

"Trying to find a DAW. Choices are Digi 002, Cubase SX or Nuendo."

If I had to choose bewteen those three I would definitely choose Logic.

Seriously... SERIOUSLY! The freeze function alone is worth buying Logic. After all the eMapple jokes and AU criticism, its fun to see everyone crapping their pants over Logic 6.

Also, Logic / PT seems to be emerging as the team to beat, so the money won't go down the tubes if you upgrade to PT somewhere along the line.

With that said, I have heard great things about Nuendo.

Avoid MOTU at all costs as they seem to have permanent residence up each other's asses.

Have fun and remember that the technology means crap without talent and great ears.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

I really would like to try logic 6... with the price of those new Macs, I'm super tempted to do that.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Addict

What 5down1up said, but I have to add MOTU/Mac to the list, since I use Digital Performer and like it. MOTU isn't big overseas, so 5down1up may not consider them a major player but they are worth considering. Dunno what tunesmith is talking about, maybe their notoriously unavailable tech support? But I've never had occasion to call them, which is the way I like it.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

MOTU should be prettey nice!
I am a Logic/ProTools Mix+ user and that combination is realy cool.
Very low latency with the Mix+ hardware. Logic 6 + Logic Control is very usable!
You'll get a great midi sequencer + a great DAW (Logic has improfed a lot with ver.6).
If Logic support the 002 you also have faders for Logic and you could use The ProTools Software!
I would go the Digid+Emagic way, but that's just me.

BTW 1 or 2 years ago I could import a Cubase song (not a .arr) into Logic!

Anybody tried Nuendo jet?!?
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by tunesmith
"Trying to find a DAW. Choices are Digi 002, Cubase SX or Nuendo."

If I had to choose bewteen those three I would definitely choose Logic.

Seriously... SERIOUSLY! The freeze function alone is worth buying Logic. After all the eMapple jokes and AU criticism, its fun to see everyone crapping their pants over Logic 6.

Also, Logic / PT seems to be emerging as the team to beat, so the money won't go down the tubes if you upgrade to PT somewhere along the line.

With that said, I have heard great things about Nuendo.

Avoid MOTU at all costs as they seem to have permanent residence up each other's asses.

Have fun and remember that the technology means crap without talent and great ears.
If you are in Europe (Maryland, France maybe?) I'd suggest Logic too. If you are in the states, get the 002. If you need to be able to "take the project to mix", going the PT route will save you a lot of hassle. I still haven't seen any "logic rigs" for rental anywhere, even through places will out them together for you. Motu stuff is bascially the "adat" of daw's IMO. And as far as Nuendo, I have never recieved any 'good' sounding recordings that were done on an Nuendo set up. This could just be the engineering, but so far I'm not impressed.
Old 10th March 2003
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone...I'm sorry to here the negative's on Nuendo. Oh well...I guess I'll have to jump on the PT wagon like everyone else...
Old 13th March 2003
Here for the gear

Woah, there Silver... If Nuendo is good enough for fillipetti, scheiner, parsons and whoever the hell else, it's good enough. Records made with it won 5 grammies. I just don't believe that it sounds worse than alsihad, surely those people would have noticed :-)
Old 13th March 2003
Here for the gear

Why is this choice so hard?

To be honest, I'm an analog guy. I have a 2", and a bunch of outboard. I want to take advantage of the digital domain for editing, kooky plug-ins and all that stuff. I then want to come back out and mix through my console. I'm looking for good quality and a format that allows people to come in do some initial work and take it to another studio for "pro" stuff if need be. That's why I thought Pro Tools might be a good idea. I mean for better or worse it is the standard...

Frankly I'd much rather use Nuendo if it meets the criteria above.....
Old 19th April 2007
Gear Nut

Nutmeg . . .

Love your signature! Just want wanna say though; according to Zappa, Mary, from "canoga park" (stuck to seat 38 on fido 3) used a telefunken U47 quite professionally, although she was a different sort of engineer.
Old 19th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpi View Post
Love your signature! Just want wanna say though; according to Zappa, Mary, from "canoga park" (stuck to seat 38 on fido 3) used a telefunken U47 quite professionally, although she was a different sort of engineer.
do you realize this thread is over 4 years old?
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

talk about a brain fart !!!
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

I wonder what the guy went with
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear
Weird to think it's the same problems 4 years on,.. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search