The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tonelux console
Old 26th September 2005
Lives for gear

My new favorite preamp

Lucky for me, I've known Paul for more than half my life (wait, is that really lucky or sucky?) and got to play with the demo rack of Tonelux stuff. I used the preamps and EQ's to record Chad Smith (drummer for Red Hot Chili Peppers) and was blown away!

The tilt control is the greatest advancement in mic pre technology in years. I'm old fashioned and still use 57's on the snare, top and bottom, but usually like to brighten things up a bit. My favorite top end before this session came from a 1073, but going to +3 on the tilt (it's addicting, watch out) sorted it all out, and gave the sound an incredibly open top end. No other EQ on the snare! Chad loved it, and when I told him about this Tilt thing, he was impressed...

I used the EQ's on my 'weird' mics, and they were exactly as I wanted them to be, and gave me the sound that I wanted. Surgical precision (a la GML) when notching, and sweet broadband boosting to add a little what-have-you.

It was a quick session, so I was not able to A/B to anything other than my memory, but having those MP-1's on the snare made the session extra quick! Instant snare sound is all I can say! I can't wait to get them in an A/B contest against Paul's old stuff, which might find itself on ebay in short order. The ballsy low end, open midrange and the tilt control is gonna be great on everything else that needs to be recorded....

Paul has my order already, and probably won't see that demo rack ever again, though he's gonna have to give me a real PS for that thing! (hint, hint)

(8 MP-1, 4 EQ's, 4 MX-2, 4 FX-2+, CR-2 just to start.... and when the third parties hit....)

I'll post more as I get more time with the gear.

Cheers,

Ryan Hewitt
Old 26th September 2005 | Show parent
Spoken like a true Gear Slut. Thanks for the kind words Ryan, now please call me there are others in LA that want to hear that demo rack!

-gil
Old 27th September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Looking forward to checking it at AES!!
Old 8th October 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
We hope to get ahead of the demand by the October AES so that we have modules in stock for all interested parties. We will be showing a complete modular console solution with automation, and officially announcing as many a 4 third-party companies who will be making their own well-known, well-respected, much-loved products available as modules for the Tonelux system.

I've been waiting with bated breath! Any news on those 4 third-party companies?

Thanks for your time!

Bill.

TODAY at 2 PM at the Javits Center we will announce the companies that will be pleasuring us whith their own TONELUX format modules...

Stay Tuned...
Chandler will be making the Germanium Mic Pre
ELI will be making the Distressor
Daking will be making his Mic Pre and then if possible, his EQ

Not bad... More will be aroound for NAMM....
Old 9th October 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux
and then if possible, his EQ

YAR. make this happen and you will own me.

gregoire
del ubik
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
YAR. make this happen and you will own me.

gregoire
del ubik

I think you already own me, but make the Daking eq happen anyways!
Looke amazing at the AES..

Cold metal..
Lives for gear

Wow. Just wow.

Manufacturers working together to make something ultimately cool for everyone.

The end must be near.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chandler will be making the Germanium Mic Pre
ELI will be making the Distressor
Daking will be making his Mic Pre and then if possible, his EQ

Not bad... More will be aroound for NAMM....

Lives for gear

In case there are any Canucks still paying attention, Saved By Technology is now carrying the Tonelux line. http://www.savedbytechnology.com

**** this is great news!
Lives for gear

This has been a long time coming! Being able to mix and match different manufactures products under the same platform is possitively slutified to the MAX!

Way to go Paul!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtienhaara
In case there are any Canucks still paying attention, Saved By Technology is now carrying the Tonelux line. http://www.savedbytechnology.com

**** this is great news!
And what about ProAudioCanada. Those are the guys that need to be carrying this.

The price should be doubled by the time SBT gets it.........
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
Well my exprience with L&M is that the prices they quote are very close to "on-line" territory. But like anything else, you can get a better price - you just have to ask. Anyhow, I just got off the phone with one of the L&M reps and they'll be visiting booth #436 for sure.
They shouldn't even be allowed in the doors........
Lives for gear

It`d be cool if Cranesong would make Trakkers that fit the format.

I think I could probably make do with Distessors and Trakkers which would allow me to keep it all within the setup.

thumbsup
Lives for gear

Can someone please explain how the whole fader automation thing will work with for example PT.
Will you be able to use the TL faders as a controller for the PT faders as well ?
Old 10th October 2005 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil
Can someone please explain how the whole fader automation thing will work with for example PT.
Will you be able to use the TL faders as a controller for the PT faders as well ?

The signal comes out of a send pre fade. It then goes into the fader audio track and in the module like a real console ( I had a kid listen to my demo and the he said "brilliant! audio going throught the faders..." I went right over and told the story to Rupert, who almost died laughing). The PT or and DAW with HUI or Ethernet runs the faders.

I don't want to sell them because I wouldn't be able to do support, since it would require a lot of assistance with interfacing the faders with a console. Just buy a JL Cooper 3000 expander and replace the motorized faders with ones that have an audio taper element and you are off and running.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

By the way, if you haven't heard,

Chandler is doing the new Germanuim mic pre
Empirical Labs is doing a Distressor
Daking is doing a mic pre, and later, if possible, the EQ.

2 more companies to be announced at Winter NAMM
Lives for gear

Quote:
( I had a kid listen to my demo and the he said "brilliant! audio going throught the faders..." I went right over and tole the story to Rupert, who almost died laughing).
If I was that kid & I was reading this, I don't know if I'd laugh or cry (or both).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
If I was that kid & I was reading this, I don't know if I'd laugh or cry (or both).
Good point! I hope he's not a gearslut yet!
Gear Addict

Quote:
You bastards! dfegad

Quote:
This is the next wave of engineers... Many of these guys have never seen a studio up close, so they have no clue. Of course, none of us ever asked a stupid question!... At least I never did becaue I still know everything... I aquired that feature when I was 16...

Guys, it's 1965 all over again, with different technology.
TRW
Lives for gear

So its safe to say that you're OEM'ing your MMC control and USB/Ethernet interfaces from JL Cooper then?

I gotta say its a shame you won't support the faders to end-users of other consoles, I fully understand the issue but there are other summing solutions with TRS-like plugs for external faders all ready to be plugged in, no support issues there....not like hacking an SSL/MCI module etc.

I checked out JL Cooper and the fader extenders are $1800 so for two of them thats $3600 plus 16 audio taper fader replacements like P&G3000 @$100 each, is approx $5000 give or take a few hundred. This would use 16ch midi to automate the faders, plus a bunch of buttons that would now be defunct and the JL Cooper boxes would need to be torn apart/modified to fit audio fader I/O.

So is it fair to say that your system (16ch) runs about $4000+??

-Tom
Moving faders and servo control is not easy or cheap. I went with JL because they know everything about the formats, and the system looked like it had 10000 steps.

The cost is going to be pretty much the same, but real faders and such is a sizable step and it is not cheap. I don't have enough hours in the day to do custom fader mods that have such a close margin anyway.

I don't want to withold the technology because I don't want to do it, so that is why I explained how to do it. If someone makes a fader box that works like I described, I'll buy it from them!...

Great faders though...and even Rupert said he was proud of me...
TRW
Lives for gear

Yeah I admit after looking through the JL stuff, I could see why you chose them, definitely a high-end solution with lots of interface options.

Good move! May I be so bold as to ask what faders you are using in the Tonelux gear, Alps, TKD or P&G3000 or 8000?

They are all so NOT cheap its untrue, but they are quality. I hope the system works out for you. Have you noticed any noise trouble with the control systems so close the analogue faders?

Thanks for sharing your system and ideas.

Cheers Tom
Old 15th October 2005 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW
Yeah I admit after looking through the JL stuff, I could see why you chose them, definitely a high-end solution with lots of interface options.

Good move! May I be so bold as to ask what faders you are using in the Tonelux gear, Alps, TKD or P&G3000 or 8000?

They are all so NOT cheap its untrue, but they are quality. I hope the system works out for you. Have you noticed any noise trouble with the control systems so close the analogue faders?

Thanks for sharing your system and ideas.

Cheers Tom
The expensive TKDs that I had at the show, which felt like a manual fader, no drag, cost about $175 each. It has a coreless motor.

Motorized faders can cost as little as $25, but they have a standard motor, which has few stators and feels kind of "lumpy" when you move them. Also, because controller is interpolating points within the HUI protocal, you need a light touch fader for the quality. If you saw the faders at the show, a 25 second fade in was so smooth that a human couldn't have moved them that slowly.

I am testing several right now, and I can say that so far, P&G is out of the running. Way too much drag and unreliable. I didn't think I would ever say that, but it's true.

By the way, PT uses the HUI protocall, but the system will run on faster interfaces such as USB, 10/100 ethernet, RS232 and RS422 interfaces.

The reliability was perfect. 100% all the time.

No noise issue.

In fact, Peter Schmidt called me yesterday just to let me know how happy he was (again). He is booked every day through the end of November, and is booking through the end of February. He said that "It is the console of little noise---No, it is the console of NO noise, because there is absolutely no noise coming out of it"
Old 15th October 2005 | Show parent
TRW
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info again Paul, surprised about the P&G.

Sounds like a sweet system! IIRC the JL tracking system has a 10-bit resolution so the amount of steps (and fader choice) give you the smoothness ye?

I noticed the other control protocols available, just had a thought (as non-logical as it may be)....what if the Ethernet interface could use the faders to set gains on your remote MP-1?

Nice hands on approach for pres situated in the tracking room..maybe.

Anyway good luck with it. Not that you'll need it!

-Tom
Old 16th October 2005 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Paul can you explain how the bus asign modules are implemented. What feeds them etc.?
Gear Addict

well paul in around three months
i will be buying one of these from you probably 24 channel
would it be possible to leave you my number to discuss this with me when you have the free time?

this will be my first console purchase...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldswirlo
Paul can you explain how the bus asign modules are implemented. What feeds them etc.?

The bus module is a balanced input with a level and panner/pan sw, and 8 busses. It uses any 8 of the Vrack busses, and you need 8 of the +'s because they have the summing amps in them.

The cool part is that you don't need one for every channel, as you can get 8 and just patch into them. They can also be used as a mix minus or IFB.

The faders from P&G are decaying. It is sad.

And about the system in 3 months, go to the site and email me what you need and we can talk about it.

Groovy
📝 Reply