The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studiomaster Boards....thick meaty tone Mixers (Analog)
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
This thread reminds me that EVERYTHING gets popular again.

heh
Old 27th October 2008
Here for the gear

service manual studiomaster

Hello
I've seen you have some documents of studiomaster
and i 'm saying you have the schematics of the studiomaster
Classic mixdown 32-8-2 with VU meter or something with the relation of
this console
I need the schematics to repair this console
Thanks
Fernando from Paris
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

They were based on TLO72s....
That says "noisey," "low head room" and a "slow slew rate."

They ALL sucked!

Back in '85 when my home rig had a TASCAM 520 I did a live record using a StudioMaster 32 channel console..
I so hated that console and it was brand new.
Just a piece of trash.
I missed my TSCAM 520!

I was also practically GIVEN.... (yes, I said GIVEN) a remote truck that had a Studiomaster in it. It is a long, long story.....
I was paying $1800 per day for a truck that had a Soundcraft TS-24 and I really wanted the "FREE" truck to work out.
After a few shows I was GLAD and HAPPY to pay the $1800 for the truck with the TS-24!
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

I just bought a 1979 Studiomaster 12-2 for $100. It sounds great. Definitely better than the later ones.

We can't get a "real" console for reasons of cost, space, and cooling. So our best option for improving our sound is to replace our 1991 Studiomaster with a 1979 16-8-2 Studiomaster.

I can deal with the limitations including the short faders, but I have one question--do the bus outputs operate at +4 dBu so they can drive the inputs of a professional multi-track recorder??? Unbalanced is OK, as long as it's +4.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
This is an early one, maybe the one refered to by the Soffit cell inmate heh:

I had an even older pre-Studiomaster 12x2 under the name Recording Studio Design.
Low end my friend...

Attachment 96089
I have one exactly like the one in the picture somewhere in storage and have no idea if it works at all. It was given to me and I never used it. I should dig it out and see if it works.
Old 13th February 2010
Here for the gear

Hey guys..

Who knows anything technical about old SM 12-2?
Studiomaster 12-2 - Studiomaster 12:2 - an oldie but goldie board you can pick up for peanuts in your free-ad's - sweep

Are the direct outputs balanced? Are the Pre's Discreet or chip based? What are the voltage rails like? IE are they + or- 15 volts? Any chance to get schematics for this one?

Any experiences how it sounds? Especially pres?
Old 13th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopsi View Post
Hey guys..

Who knows anything technical about old SM 12-2?
Studiomaster 12-2 - Studiomaster 12:2 - an oldie but goldie board you can pick up for peanuts in your free-ad's - sweep

Are the direct outputs balanced? Are the Pre's Discreet or chip based? What are the voltage rails like? IE are they + or- 15 volts? Any chance to get schematics for this one?

Any experiences how it sounds? Especially pres?
The board in the picture is one of the ultra crappy Ross built models. Not the same board that was discussed as being desirable.
Old 14th February 2010
Here for the gear

That's all what I wanted to know. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopsi View Post
That's all what I wanted to know. Thanks.
i actually had a 16 or 20 channel one that looked somewhat like that....weird monitor section i could never figure out. i think it was a 16X16X2. awesome board. had it for two years and mixed many recordings on it. sold it to a friend and am going to his place to track in march. i'll try to take a pic of it.

on the noisy side for acoustic stuff but man really good sound. thick with a decent eq for mid and top additions...

Mike
Old 14th February 2010
Lives for gear

I dispute that they are ultra crappy. In fact they have a really interesting sound and what prompted me to start this thread. The later ones with thinner script and rubber pots are really bad, but these are cool.
Old 25th May 2010
Here for the gear

Hi,
it seems there were many different experiences on these boards.
I was offered the Studiomaster Pro Line 16-4-8 like seen on the picture below for about 250$.
Anybody have any experience with this one?I need it as homestudio desk, mainly to mix down tracks and get a handle for the hardware.
Didnt find any negative recommendments on this one, but the general studiomaster issues mentioned in this thread made me gettin doubts....

thanks
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

for $250 you can't go wrong. Check it out, if you don't like it, dump it.
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Head

Found a "8 into 4" locally..anyone have any insight about these?
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mace View Post
Hi,
it seems there were many different experiences on these boards.
I was offered the Studiomaster Pro Line 16-4-8 like seen on the picture below for about 250$.
Anybody have any experience with this one?I need it as homestudio desk, mainly to mix down tracks and get a handle for the hardware.
Didnt find any negative recommendments on this one, but the general studiomaster issues mentioned in this thread made me gettin doubts....

thanks
That one's a Ross... avoid. OTOH, it's only $250, so if money isn't tight it could be an OK toy. It isn't one of the good one though, and I do remember them taking a HUGE quality hit when Ross took over......
Old 27th May 2010
Here for the gear

ok thanks for the reply.
I talked to the current owner and he admited that there are some problems with two channels.i will still give it a thought....

beside that i have another offer of the 16channel version of an Soundtracs FME-series mixer for the pretty same price.
goin to check it out on saturday and would be happy if somebody could give me feedback on this one before i go there!...i know its offtopic so i also accept PM .

didnt get much information on this one in the net,through it seems kinda rare...but from the ones i read it seems its a pretty nice desk.

here an video of the 24 channel version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwoZ0ZbGKx8

didnt get any information on routing possibilities, so would be nice if somebody could fill this gap!

sorry for offtopic and thanks for replies

mace
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Maniac

i used to have one of those, or a similar one... sounded better than a mackie, but was a bit noisier, kind of a chunky sound compared to the mackie's icepick in your ear sound. otoh, like they said, this isn't hi-fi, you don't want to use it for classical work i'm not going to comment any more on the sound since i've never really used anything you guys would respect but purely features.
i did some work on mine, and if you want to try that, there's a lot of room inside and the channels are each on their own cards, so that's somewhat convenient. from what i have heard the designs are OK, but the implementation leaves something to be desired... it's full of 0 ohm carbon film resistors (thought about rewiring these... didn't get to it) which probably explains some of the noise.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Avoid that one. I had one and it was nothing but trouble. I bought it cheaply on the off chance it was good, but nit wasn't in fact it was the opposite of the "thick, meaty tone" I mention at the start of this thread.

You better off with one of the "Diamond" series. Seriously. They are PA boards but the 3 band eq is cool.
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear
I got a studio master 8 into 4 with vu meters.
I've used it for parts and made a nice summing box. It was noisey and had alot of lows but thick sounding.. heh I/ve been thinking about selling it. I suppose if you found one in real good shape it wouldn't sound too bad.
Old 29th May 2010
Here for the gear

I've got a Studiomaster Mixdown like the one shown above, but it's got the added 4 channels to it. I picked it up for $200 and I really dig it. It gives everything a really warm sound when I track to Pro Tools. heh
Old 25th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
This is an early one, maybe the one refered to by the Soffit cell inmate heh:

I had an even older pre-Studiomaster 12x2 under the name Recording Studio Design.
Low end my friend...

Attachment 96089
Just ran a my stems through this same board (think it's a circa 78 - the one with the 4 big VU meters in the top right hand corner)...I feel like I just got socked over the head by a sack of broadbeans...This thing sounds every bit the real deal: Wide, Thick, Rich, Vintage and just plain leave the in the box mix in the dust! Best £200 I ever spent!

Last edited by earthcorp; 25th September 2010 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 26th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Wow, I hadn't thought about those in years. They were some of the earlier recording boards sold in music stores as I recall. This is a bit random, and I'm not implying anything, but I seem to recall guitar great Steve Morse of the Dixie Dregs once referring to the brand as "Studio Disaster".
Old 26th September 2010
Lives for gear

looks like I already posted on this thread a couple of years ago about my VU meter based 24-into-4.

With a couple of additional years now of reflection, listening back on some of the mixes I did with it (and I still haven't fired it back up lately to try some signals through it), I will say that the original 16-into-4 (24-into-4 etc) wasn't exactly what I would call elusive-wide, meaty, magic, etc. But it worked very well for me when it was new and when it was all I had. If others are now calling it something magical, I'd be inclined to say there's something really wrong with current stuff used to compare.

anyway, I'll share this about my model since I do remember this. Studiomaster was still headquartered in the UK or wherever in 1981-82 when the VU type Studiomasters like mine were around, and their distribution place for here at the west coast was right next door in Yorba Linda or something.

I went over there a few times as that is where I bought the add-on bolt-on modules you could by in 1981-82 for those. The guys at the STudimaster place were always very helpful, and did make a great detailed discussion to me of the high-slew speed chips there were now (then) using that made my console and others of that year ideal for recording. I do have all this written down somewhere when they were telling me which new opamps etc they were using. It just didn't mean a lot to me at the time.

They mentioned they were about to go 1000% at grabbing a chunk of the studio biz (whatever that meant) that was popular what with all the home Tascam etc multitracks that were out there.

Not sure what happened to the company after that as I sortof lost track of them and and wasn't really paying attention to what they did in later 82 onward.

So ... what do we all think. Should I just keep mine in storage for it to appreciate some more? Are these old VU babies gonna be $10,000 each on ebay in a couple a years ? ya think?
Old 14th October 2010
Gear Addict

We just got our first "real" modular console, an old Wheatstone, but the EQ is bell only. I'll be patching in the 1979 Studiomaster channels when I want that Studiomaster gentle hi shelf. I expect it will sound pretty good.
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Head

guys is this the real deal??

as far the first tests went it sounds very meaty and nice!
Old 31st October 2010
Here for the gear

OLD studiomasters

Hey, a somewhat living thread!
Years ago I was broke and wanted a small mixer with big mixer features and found a 79 vintage 4 channel side car and fixed it up. Didn't know much tech, really. Replaced the 741s with 5532s (ran some wires from the 2nd channel of each to the holes for the missing IC). Put in some summing amps (5532). Loved it. Dead quiet (for a while) and was amazed one night when I SLOWLY moved my hand back and forth in front of my condenser mic and saw my monitor woofers tracking perfectly. This was a very early model with a square box (not wedge-shaped) and no bus switches.
It eventually went goofy/noisey and I shelved it.
More recently I wanted to dig it out and see if I could get a good channel to track to digital with. I and learned a lot and had also found a schematic on line. Pretty sure the power supply I made was feeding way too much voltage...
Anyway, buy the time I had reworked it a second time, the cheap board were pretty much done and the pots seemed shot (kinda cheap plastic-shaft jobs).
Last year Ebayed a couple of 4-ch sidecars from what turned out to be the next gen version (I had never seen the main board for the first one I bought).
These are very similar, but in a wedge shaped box, TL071 OP AMPS, Clip LED's, all-metal pots, center-off toggles for the buss select, slip-on loom connection. And a roughly 50% reduction in impedances around the head amp IC. The pot spacing was slightly different, too, so no drop-in replacement.
I hooked it up to some battery power as soon as I got it, tapped into the end of a channel, and thought: UGH. Unusably noisy, and just generally dissappointing.
Reworked with OPA134s, Elna Silmic, and fancy Nichicon bipolars (and a few other tweaks) the mojo is back. The strips are quiet enough, and after adding a bit more gain from the head amp IC, offer lots of signal. Replace the the Phantom blocking caps with a UTC A-20 transformer, though, and the sound steps up to a whole new category. And dead silent.
I love these things, but I pity anyone who wants to buy one to use as is. Updated, they're kickers. Great learning opportunity, and miles of room inside to work and add stuff.
Roger
Old 31st October 2010
Here for the gear

1980? 16/4

Original Ebay pictures. I bought only the 8-channel side car.
I think I loaded the pictures okay...
Attached Thumbnails
Studiomaster Boards....thick meaty tone-16-4.jpg   Studiomaster Boards....thick meaty tone-16-4-all.jpg  
Old 27th November 2010
Here for the gear

More old Studiomaster lore

Hi, I'm Roger and I have a problem...
Few weeks ago I picked up a 8 into 4 Rack--mount. I thought these might be the same strip design as the slightly older ones. They're not. I think they have more in common with the Series II. They keep the same preamp (nice) but implement the eq difererntly. The bands are the same, and they tried to keep the same eq points, but it uses only 2 op-amp stages to the older one's 4. It sounds Okay, but I'm not sure I like it quite as much. I haven't had the chance to really hear them side by side yet, though.
Impedances are lower through out. that could be good. The parts count is way down, and it has a separate hi-z input.
Seems mine was stored hot someplace. Many of the pots were locked up. Most of the caps showed what looked like burn marks under on the board under them--in fact it's just where the oil has actually leaked out and darkened the board. I'd never seen that before. Worst thing, I think, is that they etched away so much copper.... There are only little tiny pads under everything. Most of the pots have broken loose just from my handling them. Okay, the solvent bath might have done that, too.
But, like i said, I have a problem. I'll finish the overhaul, and it will be nice when it's done. Don't bother pointing out it's not economical.
BTW the the single biggest improvement comes from adding star-ground wires for each channel strip. Kills all kinds of noise and cross-talk.
Old 1st December 2010
pan
Lives for gear

Studiomaster Giveaway

Hello!

I just ripped a 16-4-2 (Big VU style) and have torn it apart for switches and the VUs.
I might rack one or two pairs of the strips and have 8 or ten as a gift (you pay postage) for interested connaisseurs

These strips have two half-parametric bands (30(!)-300Hz and 400 - 7k) plus a highshelf EQ.

You need a +-15V PSU, an output linedriver and some knowledge about tracing a cirquit...
PM me, if you are interested in a pair.
Location is Hamburg Germany.
Old 1st February 2011
Gear Head

Which ones are PRE ROSS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
That one's a Ross... avoid. OTOH, it's only $250, so if money isn't tight it could be an OK toy. It isn't one of the good one though, and I do remember them taking a HUGE quality hit when Ross took over......

Ive heard this many times before. "Avoid the ones after Ross" WELL, what exactly do the ones PRE ROSS look like?!?! Some pictures of pre and post Ross would be nice.

I DO think most Studiomasters have a thick fat tone... However, things seem to get very smeary after everything is mixed together. Maybe the summing bus is sucky??? Maybe some mods would help out?
Old 1st February 2011
pan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadore View Post
WELL, what exactly do the ones PRE ROSS look like?!?! Some pictures of pre and post Ross would be nice.
Right in this thread...

PRE:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5949313-post56.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/3519836-post25.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5434809-post41.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search