The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking for a new mic pre but is it worth it given the mic I have?
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Head

Looking for a new mic pre but is it worth it given the mic I have?

Hi Folks,

I'm being dragged down the upgrade road in the never ending attempt to get a better sounding setup .... and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks to this board, there's a stack of info regarding mic preamp options. I'm still undecided but something like the AMEK CIB or the ISA430/ISA220 is close to the top of my list. I've been thinking about getting more of a "character" preamp but think that I can add an element of that when mixing courtesy of the plugs I have (DUY, Waves, etc). My question and conundrum relate to my main vocal mic - a Rode NTK. To date, I haven't been disappointed with it but I'm wondering whether a new preamp like the one's listed (or any other you think I *must* look at ) will give me the sound I'm looking for with the mic I'm using? Or will it just highlight the fact that I need to get a better mic as well?

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 5th March 2003
member no 666

I recently got to use an NTK... I thought it coupled fairly nicely with a Martech MSS-10 and with the Phoenix DRS-2... as always... YMMV.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Mike,

You could try a VIPRE and get a couple dozen flavors out of your 1 NTK heh
Old 5th March 2003
Re: Looking for a new mic pre but is it worth it given the mic I have?

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
Hi Folks,

will give me the sound I'm looking for with the mic I'm using? Or will it just highlight the fact that I need to get a better mic as well?

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Mike
What is the sound you are looking for?
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Head

I *knew* someone was going to ask that

As always, it's tricky to describe sounds and easy to just say I want it all "to sound better". I'm also aware that much of the perceived quality has a lot to do with the talent ..... or lack of. And of course, my own ability to mix and produce. The old adage of "you can't polish a turd" springs to mind.....

To put it into context, I have been using the pre's on a Digimax and a Focusrite Voicemaster. The results are ok ... but not special and nowhere near the "quality" I'd like to achieve. I'm looking for a real sense of clarity, air, precision and detail that I just don't quite seem to be able to get. I also don't want to feel that I have a front end that lets the rest of my system down.

I'll be recording mostly female vocals with a funky rock-pop vibe and the mixes tend to be pretty busy. I'd also like to have instrument DI for bass and guitars - more of a would like than a must have.

Does that help/answer the question?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 5th March 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
I *knew* someone was going to ask that

Does that help/answer the question?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,

Mike
Hey Mike,

"Does that help/answer the question?"

Honestly not really. Its a tough one to answer both ways with out hearing your vocalist. I think your best bet will be instead of buying a new mic, just rent one till you find something you like than buy that.

Your pre choice will be easier. With the right mic, just about any good mic pre will do. There are tons of choices with DI's. Get the mic thing happening, than check back with it for a pre.

By the way, have you tried the NTK on here yet?
Old 6th March 2003
Here for the gear

preamp

The Phoenix DRS-2 is an amazing preamp. We use ours with a Soundelux U195 (vocals) OKtava MCO12s (overheads and acoustic guitars) along with 57s and D112 on snare and kick. The DRS-2 makes tracks sound fat and clean at the same time . Really a great versatile pre that works well for almost everything.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Head

Thanks for everyone's input.

I've tried her out a few times with the NTK/Digimax combo and the results are ok though we recently decided to drop her due to, how shall I put it, continued problems in the pitching department. Anyone know a decent singer in London looking for a new project?

I digress..... I suspect it'll require a bit of the suck it and see approach. Fortunately, my local audio dealer is pretty good when it comes to borrowing gear for A/B testing. I've recently sold the Digimax so I need to do my homework and get things ready for when we need to start tracking vocals again.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Addict

NTK-pre

I've got a NTV, and I think it's pretty good. It's worked through Hardys, and I'm reallly liking it through the Speck 5.0, but I'm interested in the Martech Flether mentioned, as well as a Pendulum MDP-1 or single channel Fearn. Obviously, the Speck is about half the price of the others I just mentioned, if that helps -E

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search