The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need your opinion concerning my studio sound quality
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

I need your opinion concerning my studio sound quality

I've been "rough" mixing this song for a possible signing, but my main question is directed toward "sound quality", and not the song, which you may or may not like, but that's ok. It's an mp3 file / 320 kbps. Not the best for evaluation, but the SD file's too large for download.

I need to know weather the mix is too bright, too heavy in the lower end, which would help me with future rough mixes. One thing that helped quite a bit was purchasing Benchmark's DAC1. Again, my question is directed toward sound quality.

If you have a moment, please download the song entitled "Ordinary Girl".
I'd appreciate your opinion.

http://homepage.mac.com/dlmusic/

Thanks
Imagine
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

I'm far from an expert on this kind of music, so maybe my ears aren't as well tuned as they should be for critiquing this kind of thing- but I think this sounds very good. Not my kind of thing, but since we're just talking about the sound, I'd say it definitely is pleasing to listen to. I have a lot of respect for someone who can make this sort of generic pop sound interesting- with the wrong producer, this song would have been absolutely abismal. I feel like you've really made it sound extremely presentable. I hear a lot of high end, but that's pretty standard. It's not unpleasing high- just detail. Again, take my opinion with a pinch of salt, but I like it =) I'm not a fan of the vocal effect, but everything else is great.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Imagine,
nice job....music is not my cup of tea...but since you asked..listening on my computer speakers it does seem a hair bright overall...the Kick thwack might be a bit loud,Bass a bit low perhaps?.......

Overall really nice production/arrangement and mixing job....
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

If you are having trouble downloading, try this link.

http://homepage.mac.com/dlpro/

Thanks
Imagine
Old 5th March 2003
Schnert
Yo Imagine,

Sounds good over here! I'd probably lower/make that hi-hat thing less bright though (and a drummer would probably prefer if you removed it on the tom breaks rollz )
Old 5th March 2003
Here for the gear

yeah, nice stuff. it's bright, but i don't think it's too far off the current trend.

my only nit-pick is that it seems to be "squashed" a little too much. i got that feeling like my brain was being squeezed by my eardrums. that might not mean squat to you, but when i hear it in my own stuff, it means i've gone a little too far with the multi-band/limiter.

-scott
Old 6th March 2003
There is only one

i think it sounds great. it is bright but its not overbearing.
Old 6th March 2003
A&R cats are all deaf from too many gigs and NS10's in their offices so bright material suits them. Sounds fine on my laptop speakers.. Good job.

No offence meant at all but is that 'virtual guitar" plug in playing the accoustics? (its amazing BTW, keyboard only guys need to check it out!)

They sound so controlled and tight I was just wondering!

Anyhow your production sounds good enough for any Major lable board room IMHO.

Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

yes, I'll second the whole bright bit. I do quite a bit of stuff I do is intended for the whole publisher and a&r people...and almost all of their systems in their offices are darker sounding because their sitting in corners on bookshelfs or against walls and their EQed or not EQed a bit goofy. The only time they will bother adjusting the EQ is when they are playing one of their OWN songs that they wrote... In general, I EQ a bit of the mush out around 150-250 hz as well as putting the top end zing, but your mix sounds great for the purpose it's created for.
I create seperate mixes (mostly just different compression and EQ over the mix buss. In my room they can take your head off...
and then another "normal" mix for reference in the future and for the artist/songwriter.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

you are in the right direction overall. ditto on the bright thing, it's a bit too much for me. nice production and balance. i like the dynamic switch on the vocals in the chorus area.

however, i'd like a more natural vocal sound, and perhaps a bit louder vocal for this style. i always think sing along quality and teenage girlies getting into the vocal are key. the guitars are the center stage right now, which is rock style. i'd go with the vox out front more pop style. and again on the vocals, i think the effect on the vocals makes them sound less intimate, and i'd go for more intimate. were i you, i'd check vanessa carlton or michelle branch and go for their vocal balance in the mix for maximum effect. less obvious processing, but more in your ear whisper type quality will be the winner on this i'm sure. the performance is fine, let the vocal connect more iwth the listener.

otherwise good production and clearly this is a workable mix. the above comments reflect my sensibilities for this as a pop mix. hth.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your suggestion and time. It was a real challenge mixing in a non-treated room. That's my next investment. I'm a writer/ producer, so mixing isn't my forte, but by having a half decent room, I'd save a lot of time, and headache's.

I'll be posting mix 2 tonight, and I've removed the "phone" effect which was on the lead vocal, and lowered the hi frequencies. I think it's close...

Thanks again for your time.
Imagine
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

great mix......only, i think you should check the vocal level at the beginning (too loud).....also, to me the track is lacking a hair of body.....maybe a half db of boost (on the instrumental) around 280hz would do it (Q:1)

For this sort of thing, i don't think it's too bright. I think the phone effect works (makes the vox good hearable) but needs tweaking (more highs, less low midrange)

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear