The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rack spacing and heat...leave some room? Audio Interfaces
Old 4th April 2015
  #31
Lives for gear
 
hasbeen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy View Post
Why are there a lot of studios that don't leave space between the units? (also tubes, and transformer-based)
I always wonder the same thing. I have mostly tube gear and always leave space but see pictures of studios that are crammed with rack gear.

I imagine they are properly cooled, but even in vintage studio pics I see the same thing.

One thing I know about a lot of the older gear is that the tubes were never enclosed with a lid. Take for instance an Altec 1567a. All of the tubes are mounted on the rear and exposed to fresh air and the unit itself is somewhat short. I have a rack of this type of gear with no spacing between units as there seems to be plenty of circulation of air.
Old 4th April 2015
  #32
Gear Addict
 
BeHappy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdenton View Post
Uhhhh...'cause people do a lot of stupid stuff?

In reality, some of it probably is, in reality, just eye candy.

In come cases, only one or two units in a given rack bay are powered up at the same time.

Your higher-end studios probably also have HVAC systems engineered to deal with higher temperatures from equipment via directed airflow or some other means...
In your opinion can I put in a 4 units case a Manley Core (tube) and a Igs ne72 (transformer class A) or could I hurt the preamps?
Old 4th April 2015
  #33
Gear Addict
 
BeHappy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I always wonder the same thing. I have mostly tube gear and always leave space but see pictures of studios that are crammed with rack gear.

I imagine they are properly cooled, but even in vintage studio pics I see the same thing.

One thing I know about a lot of the older gear is that the tubes were never enclosed with a lid. Take for instance an Altec 1567a. All of the tubes are mounted on the rear and exposed to fresh air and the unit itself is somewhat short. I have a rack of this type of gear with no spacing between units as there seems to be plenty of circulation of air.
In your opinion can I put in a 4 units case a Manley Core (tube) and a Igs ne72 (transformer class A) or could I hurt the preamps?
Old 4th April 2015
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy View Post
In your opinion can I put in a 4 units case a Manley Core (tube) and a Igs ne72 (transformer class A) or could I hurt the preamps?
Nothing more than a gut feeling as I haven't really studied the gear you mention, but I would not put anything more than the Core (or other 2 RU tube gear) in a 4 RU case.

Probably someone with a thermodynamics background will (rightly) correct me, but there are two factors in air cooling...one is air movement, the other is the medium to which heat will be transferred, in this case air.

And I would be concerned at the small amount of air in a 4 RU case.

If you had a fan behind the rack case or if it were in a conditioned area with a stable and relatively low ambient temperature that would be one thing, but in an unstated environment I wouldn't want to rely purely on convection cooling.

But again, perhaps someone schooled in thermodynamics can contribute more to the discussion...
Old 4th April 2015
  #35
Gear Addict
 
BeHappy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdenton View Post
Nothing more than a gut feeling as I haven't really studied the gear you mention, but I would not put anything more than the Core (or other 2 RU tube gear) in a 4 RU case.

Probably someone with a thermodynamics background will (rightly) correct me, but there are two factors in air cooling...one is air movement, the other is the medium to which heat will be transferred, in this case air.

And I would be concerned at the small amount of air in a 4 RU case.

If you had a fan behind the rack case or if it were in a conditioned area with a stable and relatively low ambient temperature that would be one thing, but in an unstated environment I wouldn't want to rely purely on convection cooling.

But again, perhaps someone schooled in thermodynamics can contribute more to the discussion...
Thanks for the reply! Anyway the Core is always shown closed in a 2U case... In fact I found the Manley gear never get hot. Also the Voxbox is always closed up and down...
Attached Thumbnails
Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_6557_0.jpg  
Old 4th April 2015
  #36
Lives for gear
 

How about the thought that everything acts as a heatsink for everything else? If you have one piece of gear that generates a lot of heat and three units above it that don't, the bottom piece will be cooler for being able to conduct heat away. If it was in an open space the heat would largely stay in that unit.

Chris
Old 4th April 2015
  #37
Lives for gear
 
skythemusic's Avatar
I am about to wire up my new studio (finally!). I plan on running most of the tube gear up top, leaving a full space between finicky digital gear and things that get hot and these 1/3 spacers top and bottom of moderately hot gear (Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?10x 19 inch 1 3 Space Blank Rack Panel Vented "Slim Slot" Ten Units | eBay). I tested all my units beforehand for heat and do have a custom hvac system which changes all the air every 3 minutes. I think it really depends on the specific piece. Some gear has no vent and doesn't really generate much heat. To me those are fine to put together with no spacing as space is always at a premium as a studio expands and who wants to keep re-racking.
Old 4th April 2015
  #38
Gear Addict
 
BeHappy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
I am about to wire up my new studio (finally!). I plan on running most of the tube gear up top, leaving a full space between finicky digital gear and things that get hot and these 1/3 spacers top and bottom of moderately hot gear (Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?10x 19 inch 1 3 Space Blank Rack Panel Vented "Slim Slot" Ten Units | eBay). I tested all my units beforehand for heat and do have a custom hvac system which changes all the air every 3 minutes. I think it really depends on the specific piece. Some gear has no vent and doesn't really generate much heat. To me those are fine to put together with no spacing as space is always at a premium as a studio expands and who wants to keep re-racking.
My Manley after two hours is just a little little little bit warm. Probably there is a reason if no one leave space to this gear?
Attached Thumbnails
Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_1876_0.jpg   Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_1775_1.jpg   Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_7466_0.jpg   Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_67_1.jpg   Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_7614_0.jpg  

Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_3480_1.jpg   Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_262_0.jpg   Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_4213_1.jpg   Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_7339_0.jpg   Rack spacing and heat...leave some room?-image_8361_1.jpg  

Old 4th April 2015
  #39
Lives for gear
 

I have a Manley Massive Passive racked below a Vox Box, but I left a rack space above and below each one, and I never use the blank panel spacers. I think those blank spacers are supposed to make things look tidy, but looks aren't really my concern. I am more consumed with proper cooling. In that same rack I have a couple solid state TC Electronics boxes, but with several rack spaces between them and the Manley gear.

The main thing is that this particular rack is directly below a large air conditioning output. I also have a small fan behind the gear, in the rack, in case I ever feel the need to cool it all further.

Among the tube gear I have used, the worst offender for heat has been both of my Avalon 737s. The power supply runs very hot, the tubes run hot, and I have to take great care with cooling them. I have killed one power supply, though it was also one of the first 200 made back in the 90's.

I'd rather spend more money on racks and cooling than repairing and replacing gear.
Old 4th April 2015
  #40
Lives for gear
 
hasbeen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy View Post
In your opinion can I put in a 4 units case a Manley Core (tube) and a Igs ne72 (transformer class A) or could I hurt the preamps?
I would contact Manley directly and ask them. But, the core has the tubes enclosed with a lid like I mentioned previously so I personally would leave space on top for ventilation.
Old 5th April 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 
edvdr76's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradzick View Post
My rack goes:

Furman
003R
ADDA with mic pres
Stereo compressor

A friend told me I should leave some room in the rack to allow heat dissipation and spread out the units. True?
I usually only leave space between the tube gear..... I do however keep the AC going whenever I'm in the studio, which keeps all my gear at a pretty cool temperature.
Old 5th April 2015
  #42
Lives for gear
 
edvdr76's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy View Post
My Manley after two hours is just a little little little bit warm. Probably there is a reason if no one leave space to this gear?
Oh my God you have a beautiful setup!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
pearldrum944 / So much gear, so little time
24
Okatvius / Mastering forum
12
mrsteaks / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
36

Forum Jump
Forum Jump