The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neil Young - After The Goldrush... how'd they do that? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Pell View Post
Grew up in Omemee , Ontario actually ..
Define 'grew up' - his school years and first band(s) were in Winnipeg... think he left there when he was 17 or 18.
Old 1st September 2008
One of the best Neil Young songs I've ever heard was actually not done by Neil Young. Check out Salvador Sanchez, the last song linked to on this page:

Youngblood Brass Band, Van Morrison, The Magnetic Fields : NPR Music

It's by Sun Kil Moon, which is a band of the guy who previously was the main guy in The Red House Painters. It's a great tune with atmosphere out the wazoo.
Old 1st September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777Artin View Post
Just to make things clear, Neil Young is canadian.

He lives in the states for business reasons.
is there a difference? all humans
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
One of the best Neil Young songs I've ever heard was actually not done by Neil Young. Check out Salvador Sanchez, the last song linked to on this page:

Youngblood Brass Band, Van Morrison, The Magnetic Fields : NPR Music

It's by Sun Kil Moon, which is a band of the guy who previously was the main guy in The Red House Painters. It's a great tune with atmosphere out the wazoo.
that's absolutely not a neil young song, although mark is a fan and at times, heavily influenced by neil.
Old 1st September 2008
I didn't mean literally a Neil Young song.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear
NEIL YOUNG ON THE ROCKS

Not what you are looking for.............but still interesting reading.

Red Rocks Live certainly doesn't have the pure magic of the early 70's material, but if you are a Neil Young fan, it is fun to see Neil and Duck Dunn still rocking............in horrendous weather.

Note:
"Neil insists on 2-inch analog tape for all his commercial releases".

Early-mid 70's is The Period, for me.
Take a listen to Ry Cooder's live performances, Little Feat, Jackson Browne, Stephen Stills (particularly Manassas' first album), Bob Seager (and continuing through the 70's)............and many more.

Great material.
Great musicians playing together at the same time and interacting.............the biggie.

And from a technical standpoint, running to tape mattered, too.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Anyone interested in Neil Young should see the recent "Heart of Gold" DVD. One of the best concert videos I've ever seen. Was directed by Jonathan Demme, who also did the excellent "Stop Making Sense" docuconcert film of The Talking Heads.
Old 2nd September 2008
Quote:
who also did the excellent "Stop Making Sense" docuconcert film of The Talking Heads.
An amazingly good documentary, I must say.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Or how about "The Loner" or "Cortez, the Killer"?
"Step aside, Open wide
it's the Loner"

chilling
what a guy. one of a kind.
-J
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere

la la la, la la la

and really,

Tonight's The Night - perfect songs in a perfect order meeting a perfect performance and perfect production at a perfect time in history.

I love after the goldrush, tonights the night, and harvest...but the rest..

I wouldnt care if I never heard any of them again.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

I love almost all Neil Young stuff and even saw the tour and enjoyed his "Tron" stuff.

A guy I know quite well worked for Neil for several years and lived at The Ranch up the hills above the Bay Area.
The guy was Neil's audio boy and general handy man for about two years.
He respected Neil, but he didn't have glowing personal stories and recollections to tell about the experience. It could have been his fault, too.
He describes it as being a huge pain in the ass most of the time.
He did tell me about the cool, green UA 610 based console that Neil had.

Did you know that Neil Young owns Lionel Trains? The electric, toy train company.
He bought the company because they were on hard times and Neil is seriously into electric trains.
Without going into personal details... he and his son were/are into electric trains.
It is a nice touching story.

The guy liked it well enough to stay for two years, so it couldn't have been THAT bad.
I don't want to re-tell stories for someone else, but let's just say the guy's chain was REALLY short.

I'll say no more.
Old 21st June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
I love almost all Neil Young stuff and even saw the tour and enjoyed his "Tron" stuff.

A guy I know quite well worked for Neil for several years and lived at The Ranch up the hills above the Bay Area.
The guy was Neil's audio boy and general handy man for about two years.
He respected Neil, but he didn't have glowing personal stories and recollections to tell about the experience. It could have been his fault, too.
He describes it as being a huge pain in the ass most of the time.
He did tell me about the cool, green UA 610 based console that Neil had.
A good friend of mine has done some tech work there lately and liked it enough to aspire to a more permanent arrangement.

I can't imagine anyone living where Mr. Young lives "just for business reasons", and certainly not for that long. It's an incredibly beautiful part of the world-- but hey, I'm biased.
Old 21st June 2009
Back in the early 70's Frank San Pedro was a neighbor of mine in Granada Hills, CA, a suburb of LA in the north San Fernando Valley where I grew up.
We would hang out a lot, music and pot were our interests. He was at that time one of the Columbian pot distibutors, he had it coming in 55 gallon plastic trash cans. His house was up in the hills off Zelzah Ave. north of Rinaldi St.

One of his clients was Neil Young. Neil would come over, they would smoke and jam, just like the rest of us.

Frank was a ****ty guitar player but a great connection. Neil realized that too. Neil did the logical thing, he put Frank into Crazyhorse. There he remained.

Most of that dirty lead guitar stuff he did was doing stuff like plugging one Fender Bassman amp into another, via speaker out to instrument in. It created that classic trashy Neil Young sound. Now you know how to get it.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

The conviction of his soul in the music, man. I can't think of anyone else who would have had the balls to write a song like Southern Man, and risk serious repercussions. Sure there's a jab like the Sweet Home Alabama reference, but Neil got off easy because even people who hated being insulted respected his artistic conviction.

One thing I used to hate, and now respect, is the dissonant lead guitar in the framework of Southern Man. I used to be pissed because it wasn't entertaining me, and once I saw it in the context of the glorious raucous chrous harmonies it makes me think that's how injustice sounds musically to Neil, but it's framed under Neils' terms.

And Neils "R"s, no one sings Rs like Neil: Ain't singin' for MillerRRR heh
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

I've been seeing Neil live since his "Rust Never Sleeps" tour...one of the best live acts you'll ever see. When he plays the intimate solo tours, yeah it's riveting and you hang on every word. And when he plays those big jam band shows, it's a sonic party. The tour with Booker T and the MGs was just flat out amazing, and filled with lots of treats like "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay".

Best thing about Neil, to me, is he goes his own way. Of course, that sets a lot of people up with the false hope they can get famous playing anything they want, but what the hell. At least someone is still getting away with it.

Here's that article about recording "Heart of Gold": Classic Tracks: Neil Young's "Heart of Gold"

In fact, that whole series deserves a shout-out. Prepare to be lost for awhile: Mix Classic Tracks-Get a Full List of All Mix Classic Tracks
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
Here's that article about recording "Heart of Gold": Classic Tracks: Neil Young's "Heart of Gold"

HOLD IT, my browser (Opera) says this when I went there:
Quote:
The page you are trying to open has been reported for distributing malicious software. Any software from this page may be harmful. Opera Software strongly discourages visiting this page.
If it's a false-positive that's one thing, but I'm not in the mood to get my system hosed. I'll check it later on my Ubuntu Linux box
Old 21st June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere

la la la, la la la

and really,

Tonight's The Night - perfect songs in a perfect order meeting a perfect performance and perfect production at a perfect time in history.
Dark and darker.

Two of my favorites. But I'm also a fan of the first album (Nitsche production overload and all)...

But Zuma and On the Beach really talk to me, too.

Everytime I hear "Cortez the Killer" I find myself amazingly moved... You look at the words and they're pretty elliptical... but when you hear it, the message of yearning and loss and soul-breaking nostalgia is so thick...

Neil makes music his very own special way. (To paraphrase the late and always lamented Gram Parsons.)
Old 21st June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
HOLD IT, my browser (Opera) says this when I went there:

If it's a false-positive that's one thing, but I'm not in the mood to get my system hosed. I'll check it later on my Ubuntu Linux box
I'm not using Opera right now, but when I look at that page in FireFox (with NoScript activated to allow javascript only from the domain being visited -- ie, no cross-site scripts allowed without my intervention), I see that it is lousy with cross-site script advertising. Not, in itself, a sign of malware, but definitely a potential infection vector for the unwary or gullible.

(That said, such XSS-driven advertising is quite common on media sites, which are always scrambling to get advertisers -- not turn them away. But that has meant that some large sites have been responsible for distributing malware outside their awareness. In fact, a number of large sites from Yahoo to The Economist Online to AllMusic -- and a lot of others -- were 'caught' serving trojan worms from their own advertising servers a year or two ago. They cleaned it up -- but not before countless machines were likely zombied and added to the botnets.)
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Hmm...I despise adware, but I haven't experienced any issues with that site (using Firefox). But I can say that all those Classic Tracks articles are excellent.
Old 21st June 2009
kdp
Lives for gear

Never cared for his writing,voice or guitar playing.........his recordings sound ok.....
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I've always found it interesting that Neil Young and The Band, two of the definitive American roots rock groups/artists, are from Canada, eh.
Levon helm was from the states.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejoe View Post
Indeed he was, from pretty much the birth-place of rock'n'roll from what I gather. My favourite Levon fact is that he chose to work on an oil-rig instead of touring with Dylan after he went electric. What a guy!

Anyway, back to Mr Young. Has anyone had a look at the archive box set yet? I've heard rumours about it for years, saw a trailer last year that turned out to be a bit premature, but it would appear to now be available. £180 at my local HMV!! Pretty steep, but the trailer had footage of the recording session for Harvest.

Last edited by talkshowman; 21st June 2009 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: typo - mea culpa
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

i have not seen the dvd set, but that 5-minute trailer looks great. neil in a junkyard wearing a hard hat and drinking a beer, circa 1979 and talking about old cars? count me in!
Old 22nd June 2009
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Oh yea...

But Harvest. Harvest is where it's at for me.

That's the great thing about Neil Young though, everybody's got a favourite.

A maid... A man needs a maid....

Classic.

R.
I'm with your brother. That LP made me pickup guitar, seriously. When I learned how to play Needle and the Damage Done, and Old Man, I thought I died and went to heaven. JT's on there, a young Ronstadt and it just sounds so warm and rich. It's a penultimate 70's album I think and if the OP is just discovering Neil Young,he has to go out and buy that album!

I read that Dylan was a huge fan of a Man Needs A Maid and might have even said it was his fave song at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejoe View Post
Ya. Robbie Robertson and I think a couple of the other guys are Canucks though

Neil was born up here and my best bud used to live 4 doors away from his dad, Scott Young, but for all intents and purposes, Neil is a yank
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

I think its largely the gear ...U87 and analog tape. Plus tube amps and old guitars.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla_studios View Post
A good friend of mine has done some tech work there lately and liked it enough to aspire to a more permanent arrangement.

I can't imagine anyone living where Mr. Young lives "just for business reasons", and certainly not for that long. It's an incredibly beautiful part of the world-- but hey, I'm biased.
The guy I know liked it well enough to stay for two years, so it couldn't have been THAT bad.
I don't want to re-tell stories for someone else, but let's just say the guy's chain was REALLY short.

I'll say no more.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post

I read that Dylan was a huge fan of a Man Needs A Maid and might have even said it was his fave song at one point.
Dylan and Young are very good friends. They once worked out a deal where Dylan borrowed Neil's tour bus for a stretch. Waiting for Dylan in the back was a surprise: Hank Williams' old Martin acoustic guitar, with a note from Neil that he could go ahead and play it for awhile...which he most certainly did.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
(To paraphrase the late and always lamented Gram Parsons.)

Now theres a name.

no-one can hold a candle to either of those guys...save two...

Ryan Adams and Wilco.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

hey hey my my..
i still blast my street by turning on an amp on stun ,
sometimes, and playing along with rockin in the free world n cinammon girl.
notice in Cgirl how clever n simple the lead was ??
it was the tone and sound picture that was clever.
and a lead break i feel some youngsters could learn from today instead of
"look at me i can do a zillion hammer ons a second"..lol.
john stewarts brilliant song gold is another example of a simple lean effective
lead. just my opinion of course.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not using Opera right now, but when I look at that page in FireFox (with NoScript activated to allow javascript only from the domain being visited -- ie, no cross-site scripts allowed without my intervention), I see that it is lousy with cross-site script advertising. Not, in itself, a sign of malware, but definitely a potential infection vector for the unwary or gullible.

(That said, such XSS-driven advertising is quite common on media sites, which are always scrambling to get advertisers -- not turn them away. But that has meant that some large sites have been responsible for distributing malware outside their awareness. In fact, a number of large sites from Yahoo to The Economist Online to AllMusic -- and a lot of others -- were 'caught' serving trojan worms from their own advertising servers a year or two ago. They cleaned it up -- but not before countless machines were likely zombied and added to the botnets.)
Thank you kindly for the info theblue1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search