The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Radar into Protools HD
Old 8th April 2005
Lives for gear

yup, jet engine like!!!!
Old 8th April 2005
Lives for gear

If those converters sound half as good as they are hyped to be then iz could make a bundle selling them in groups of 8 or 16. Package them with an analog summing box (or not) and shove em out the door. But I can't help but think as time goes on that there will be fewer people who need a whole digital emulation of a tape recorder as a stand-alone thing separate from a mixer or editor.

-R
Old 8th April 2005
Lives for gear

you're right and IMO iZ is slowly dying in the process. When you ask that question they say, "hey, pretend that you're buying converters and get a hard disk recorder for free".
Old 8th April 2005
Lives for gear

I don't know if they are dying or not, if you're an HD 3 user wth accell(Misspelled)
How much would it cost to get 24 anolog inputs plus the top converters, of Lavry quality for 24 inputs , plus Mac g5.plus digi sync box.

If you say more then $18000. then I guess you have your answer.
RADAR will never have the editing capabilities of Pro tools ,but I don't think IZ is concerned with that.

If you want 24 to 48 tracks of a kick ass right out the box stand alone system then RADAR 24or48 wth Nyquist converters is the shizzle, hmmm .

But to each his own. I do understand( in the box) concept of pro tools and I also like the sound of both applications or the combination of both, but thats just me!!
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syki
I can let the Radar sit there and act like a converter and go direct to Pro tools.
how is this done? AES/EBU card? and can you not use the drive or does it have to be on for Radar to work? been thinking of 16X, Prism, etc., but if this works it could be the cheapest way top get good converters for PT. thanks.
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

In my case, I'm using a Tascam If-Tad converter box. My Radar is equipped with Tdif on the rear panel. (Configuration is in 3x group of eights)

I'm only using Pro Tools digi 002 rack so I only need the fisrt 8 outs of my Radar to go to the IF-TAD , then Light pipe out (8 at a time) to my Digi 002 rack.

Works like a charm ....and no ,I dont have to record to Radar to use the converters to pipe through to protools. Just patch in to a chanel on radar and activate the record button for that chanel. Don't have to press play on the Radar.

I hope this helpsthumbsup
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

IZ is having a sale check it out!

Email [email protected], or call Dale Anaka @ 1.800.776.1356
Old 14th March 2006
Radar setup question

I´ve tracked to Radars and i just love them! I run logic 7.2 with a 2 firefaces and a Neotek Elan.Would tracking in radar and editing in logic be possible in an easy way?
Cherrs! / Toby
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

this could help you out http://www.recordingtheworld.com/ass...s/UFC%2024.pdf
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

I'm using a RADAR24 with the ADAT lightpipe card as the front end to my Cubendo system. Here's how I do it:

Outboard mic preamps >> RADAR Analog inputs >>RADAR lightpipe out >> MOTU 2408 mkII digital in (24 i/o) >> capture realtime in Cubendo.

The RADAR is fully powered on (drives spinning) and in record ready mode. The RADAR's analog outs provide 24 channels, latency free monitoring (through console) while tracking. Works great for me.

Here's the only catch....the radar can only input 1 signal at a time (switchable analog or digital) per channel and has no cuemixing functions.....so this means that when you play back from your DAW, you cannot use the radar D/A without switching the channel inputs to digital. This is the one advantage that my MOTU HD192 system had, the ability to mult signals to the analog outputs.

My workaround was (in true gearslut fashion....) to buy a Lavry blue D/A for DAW playback and just come out with a stereo pair. At first it bothered me, but I've since become used to it.

Anyways, the RADAR makes a great sounding front end to a DAW and just happens to double as a rock solid location recorder for my remote gigs. I just did a small (36 chair) symphony recording with the RADAR and it was absolutely amazing. I've NEVER felt so confident using a computer for a location recorder. I'll NEVER take a laptop for that job again. Bang for the AD/DA buck, I don't think there's anything that can touch it. I got mine (a RADAR 24/48classic) on ebay for $3600 with the lightpipe card installed. After adding a session controller, 48 channel meterbridge, rolling stand, 48 channels of dsub snakes, an LCD monitor and a software update, I was still well under 8 grand. PTHD can't touch that.

And I didn't have to give a freakin' dime to digidesign....

jUst my 24 bits....

-Z-
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

I use a RADAR 24 192 S-Nyquist sitting idle as converters/wordclock into PTHD via AES/EBU, works/sounds absolutley killer. RADAR is stable as a rock.
Old 14th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi
Flora, you still seem to be kind of 'missing it'...

HD is software with some processing power on the DSP cards. IT HAS NO SOUND in that sense.

It can sound just like / as good / better / worse than Radar, depending on the OTHER components used, and whether you use it for mixing.

Consider this: My HD sounds as good or better than my Nyquist Radar. So does Drew's...

That's what I alays thought and still kind of believe, but I just upgraded to HD and it sounds different. With TDM I connecting to Radar via an ADAT bridge. With HD, I'm using the same ADAT bridge to connect to Rardar and I'm 99% sure that audio I recorded with the TDM system sounds different when played back through the gear.
Old 14th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco
I'm using a RADAR24 with the ADAT lightpipe card as the front end to my Cubendo system. Here's how I do it:

Outboard mic preamps >> RADAR Analog inputs >>RADAR lightpipe out >> MOTU 2408 mkII digital in (24 i/o) >> capture realtime in Cubendo.

The RADAR is fully powered on (drives spinning) and in record ready mode. The RADAR's analog outs provide 24 channels, latency free monitoring (through console) while tracking. Works great for me.

Here's the only catch....the radar can only input 1 signal at a time (switchable analog or digital) per channel and has no cuemixing functions.....so this means that when you play back from your DAW, you cannot use the radar D/A without switching the channel inputs to digital. This is the one advantage that my MOTU HD192 system had, the ability to mult signals to the analog outputs.

My workaround was (in true gearslut fashion....) to buy a Lavry blue D/A for DAW playback and just come out with a stereo pair. At first it bothered me, but I've since become used to it.

Anyways, the RADAR makes a great sounding front end to a DAW and just happens to double as a rock solid location recorder for my remote gigs. I just did a small (36 chair) symphony recording with the RADAR and it was absolutely amazing. I've NEVER felt so confident using a computer for a location recorder. I'll NEVER take a laptop for that job again. Bang for the AD/DA buck, I don't think there's anything that can touch it. I got mine (a RADAR 24/48classic) on ebay for $3600 with the lightpipe card installed. After adding a session controller, 48 channel meterbridge, rolling stand, 48 channels of dsub snakes, an LCD monitor and a software update, I was still well under 8 grand. PTHD can't touch that.

And I didn't have to give a freakin' dime to digidesign....

jUst my 24 bits....

-Z-

Even though each Radar channel can only have either a digital or analog input source, you don't have to set all the channels to the same input source.

For instance, when mixing, I prefer to use the Raar converters to get back into the digital domain. I set 1-22 for a digital source and 23&24 for an analog source. I use a 192 for additioanl outputs since in need more than 22, but I use them for the less important sounds.
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

No worries mate!( In my best Geico Gecko accent )
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey
Even though each Radar channel can only have either a digital or analog input source, you don't have to set all the channels to the same input source.

For instance, when mixing, I prefer to use the Raar converters to get back into the digital domain. I set 1-22 for a digital source and 23&24 for an analog source. I use a 192 for additioanl outputs since in need more than 22, but I use them for the less important sounds.
I do something similar while mixing, but the problem I have is while tracking. I use a soundcraft ghost 32 for monitoring and all tracks get a discrete channel for creating multi HP mixes/ fx in cans etc. It would be nice to have the DAW outputs use the same discrete channel assignments when playing back and overdubbing. That way I would not have to create another mix (inside DAW) for playback. Not a huge deal, but I do miss that functionality.

-Z-
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey
That's what I alays thought and still kind of believe, but I just upgraded to HD and it sounds different. With TDM I connecting to Radar via an ADAT bridge. With HD, I'm using the same ADAT bridge to connect to Rardar and I'm 99% sure that audio I recorded with the TDM system sounds different when played back through the gear.
You kind of lost me with this post Mike...

Are you saying old sessions recorded on TDM sound different than HD, or HD sounds different with the Adat Bridge, or what?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search