The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you watch American Idol or Star Search?
Old 1st March 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Do you watch American Idol or Star Search?

And even listen?

I'm surprised by how popular these shows have become.
Hardly watched any of last year's "Amercian Idol", saw a bit more
this year. Kinda like watching a traffic accident in some ways,
except there isn't a cop to say "Nothing to hear folks, just move
along".

Anyway, how representative are these shows compared to your
experiences working with wannabe singers?

Amazing how so many singers think they sound better than they
really do. A few sounded very talented to me, however, they force their voices too much usually.

Chris

P.S. Gladys Knight won on Ted Mack's Amateur Hour as a kid, so
sometimes positive things happen.
Old 1st March 2003
It was a HUGE hit in the UK, they exported the "honest" judge Simon Cowel to the US show (he was HATED in the UK, but it made good TV) I am certain someone rejected fron the US version is going to shoot him... He is soooooo rude!

Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
It was a HUGE hit in the UK, they exported the "honest" judge Simon Cowel to the US show (he was HATED in the UK, but it made good TV) I am certain someone rejected fron the US version is going to shoot him... He is soooooo rude!
From what I've seen of American Idol, it seems that Cowel is really playing on that cruel vibe, a lot more so than he did on the UK one anyway.....

I've been disgusted by it since the first "Hearsay" one and I have a particular reason for it.
I signed a deal with Polydor in '97 with Paul Adams who was one of the original judges on Popstars. There was one scene where Paul proceeded to shed tears because they all (the panel) rejected a young wannabe popstar (..a talentless fuckwit, in other words). This really pissed me off because Paul had dropped my band in '99 and, apart from a decent cash settlement, all I got from him was a letter, no tears... This was 5 musicians dreams going down the pan (at the time) who had worked their asses off for their art, not to be throwaway idols.

In came around quite nicely 18 months ago though. I was at a gig of a band I'd been producing and there was an A&R/industry storm that had risen over them. So, to cut a long story short, Paul Adams turned up at the gig because he/Polydor was very interested in signing the band. Apart from me getting to have my say to his face, the band really took the piss out of him for the Popstars show and refused to take him seriously. Needless to say, the band went with a different major.....
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear