The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pink Floyd: Animals
Old 29th March 2005
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Hiwatt's Avatar
 

Pink Floyd: Animals

So I have been diggin this album alot lately. I read it was recorded at their own studio, Britania Row circa 1976/77... Anyone know what kind of gear they had? Any other notable albums to come out of Britania Row?
Old 29th March 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
SnakeCained's Avatar
 

Off the top of my head (I have info somewhere) I think they had just moved there and used an MCI desk and Tape machine. This was not popular and was replaced with a Neve which lasted some time. I'll try to find the other stuff...

This album rocks! I have been a PF fan since teens, and this is the one I come basck to over and over (although W.Y.W.H has a particular fondness in my heart) I would love to hear the mythical surround version and also would be happy to remaster this if Mr Guthrie is too busy!!!

Interesting from a historical perspective as this was the Floyd's response to punk.
Old 29th March 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

I beleive the new TapeOP has a article on pink floyds recording, though, at the moment, i forget the specifics. (5 AM Here...:()
Old 29th March 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Is this the place?

http://www.britanniarowstudios.co.uk/

I recently scored mint vinyl of Animals and Meddle (a personal fave of mine). Really cool.
Old 29th March 2005
  #5
Animals is an incredible disc!!

I'd love to know more about the recording of that one... The new TapeOP has an article on Gilmour's personal studio. It's a beautiful house boat on a lake that's been converted to a studio (sparing no expenses). It's not advertised, but they do record other "friend of a friend's" bands in there while he's away. Pretty sweet...a floating studio.
Old 29th March 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Ruphus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCained

Interesting from a historical perspective as this was the Floyd's response to punk.
Even more interesting for me to get pointed out that punk was mainstreaming already in 1977. Though I´d still think that it was in its diapers at that time. ( Yeah, I think to remember first reports about it around the same time or so.)
I would think that punk music was in the early eighties when you could call it a trend. Something strong enough to make PF react. Wasn´t it, am I mixing up things here?

Besides, the supposed timing I have no problem with believing that PF could have reacted to trends. I remember too well their unfortunate confession to disco stuff with their Brick-In-A-Wall thingy, which ended their string of impressive and unique creation in my ears.

Not the first great act who thought they should adapt to some fashionable crap going on around them and lost their originality and quality with that.

Just my 2cents.

Ruphus
Old 29th March 2005
  #7
Lives for gear
 
StuartMac's Avatar
 

The British punk movement exploded in 1976, and was pretty much dead by 1978. It then spawned some absolutely fantastic music (The Clash "London Calling", PiL, many others) and some horrendous crap performed by many who'd missed the point in the first place (the repellent Oi! movement for a start).

What is now being released and referred to by the MTV, VH1 generation as "punk" is almost the antithesis of what the movement was all about in the 1st place
Old 29th March 2005
  #8
I was introduced to punk by bands like Minor Threat, Rollins- era Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, DRI...

Man, listening to that stuff made me feel like there was a revolution waiting to bust out. An overthrow...

This new "punk" is sort of... sissycore... cellphone/PS2 core

Anyways...Animals is awesome. As is The Wall imho. And a ton of bands were infected by disco. You have disco hybrid hits from that era from the Stones, J Geils Band, The Grateful Dead...Steve Miller...even the Clash.
Old 29th March 2005
  #9
Lives for gear
 
blackcatdigi's Avatar
Animals is absolutely my favorite Floyd. I'd also love to hear any recording notes, as this production is stellar.

Did A. Parsons do this one, as well?
Old 29th March 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanders
I was introduced to punk by bands like Minor Threat, Rollins- era Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, DRI...

Man, listening to that stuff made me feel like there was a revolution waiting to bust out. An overthrow...

This new "punk" is sort of... sissycore... cellphone/PS2 core

Funny, the bands you listed (all of whom I liked and still like + JFA, TSOL, Die Kruezen, Discharge...) were second gen punk bands; to me the first gen were Buzzcocks, Damned, Pistols, The Jam, Ramones, Voidoids. I also like Rancid, NOFX, OpIvy, the Casualties, etc... But I like Floyd too. And Hank Williams Sr. And Bill Evans.

The categorization of music always results in a dead end to me, anyway. Where can you really go with it? If an album or a band moves you, then it's good.
Old 29th March 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
Besides, the supposed timing I have no problem with believing that PF could have reacted to trends. I remember too well their unfortunate confession to disco stuff with their Brick-In-A-Wall thingy, which ended their string of impressive and unique creation in my ears.
Not the first great act who thought they should adapt to some fashionable crap going on around them and lost their originality and quality with that.
Hey Ruphus!

I've heard PF accused of a lot, but not being disco! Where is this confession? You're not thinking of the Scissor Sisters are you?heh

There were the famous 'I Hate Pink Floyd' t-shirts sported by punks that seemed to signal the begining of the end for them. I'm sure this was as much to do with personality clashes within the band though as much as anything punk threw up.

When you can't decide whether to take the F40, the Testarossa, the Lamborghini or the McClaren to the studio it takes it's toll... believe me.
Old 29th March 2005
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Ruphus's Avatar
 

Hi Carl,

Nice to see you around!

No, not thinking of Scissor Sisters.
To me PF´s release of The Wall very clearly appeared as a contribution to the plastic fraction. Distinctively different to all of PF´s former works and as it appeared to me aimed to the disco consuming kids.
It BY FAR does not have the creative and pulling class of their outstanding albums before that. It´s also infantile compared to the maturity before.

I was really surprised how public wellcomed that thing without realizing the different genre.
Caution, OT ahead ->

But public also didn´t realize the difference between the original recordings and the pompously presented remakes. While to me all the sparkling sonics of the remakes can´t hold up to the originality and verve of the ol´venyls. ( Which is not meant as a specific cutup on PF. Their performance on the remakes was really great. Yet it seems that the performance quality of a freshly born project hardly can be repeated just so vitaly and organic / self-conveying many years afterwards.) The old records really have a whole other quality to themselves. When you really listen, you can´t mis out on that.

But the crowd did.

--
Chorus: "Teacher, teacher ..."

Guess I´m a weird PF fan. heh

Ruphus

PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah
When you can't decide whether to take the F40, the Testarossa, the Lamborghini or the McClaren to the studio it takes it's toll... believe me.
I do.
Old 29th March 2005
  #13
Gear Addict
My favorite floyd album! Way ahead of its time as far as mixing goes. Listen to it with headphones and it will blow your mind. I bet there are quad mixes of that one somewhere.
Old 29th March 2005
  #14
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Join us over here http://www.ric323.com/pf-forum/index.php

This is where I hang out, a lot. Anything you want to know about Floyd, just ask. You will get the answer. Some of the folks here hare even hung out with selected band members.

The Wall was Roger's baby, and other than a few cuts which are among their best, it is not the best Floyd effort.

Animals could be arguably be the best Floyd album, but DSOTM still gets the edge i.m.o. It is a moment in time that will still be amazing 100 years from now.


----

Rob

And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around...
Old 29th March 2005
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Ruphus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
DSOTM still gets the edge i.m.o. It is a moment in time that will still be amazing 100 years from now.


----

Rob

And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around...
Bingo!

Ruphus
Old 29th March 2005
  #16
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartMac
The British punk movement exploded in 1976, and was pretty much dead by 1978. It then spawned some absolutely fantastic music (The Clash "London Calling", PiL, many others) and some horrendous crap performed by many who'd missed the point in the first place (the repellent Oi! movement for a start).

What is now being released and referred to by the MTV, VH1 generation as "punk" is almost the antithesis of what the movement was all about in the 1st place
spot on!
Old 29th March 2005
  #17
C/G
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 

What about Meddle? That one still kicks my ass. As far as Animals goes it is one of my favs by Floyd, but you still can not argue the timeless sound and relevance of Dark Side.
Old 29th March 2005
  #18
Lives for gear
 
joaquin's Avatar
 

originally posted by Ruphus:
Quote:
To me PF´s release of The Wall very clearly appeared as a contribution to the plastic fraction. Distinctively different to all of PF´s former works and as it appeared to me aimed to the disco consuming kids.
WHAT!!... tutt
The Wall is one of the most important contributions to Popular music and Icon for generations to came. The whole artistry with wich it was build, from songwriting, to arranging, to mixing, to...That was ART!!

though...Animals is, one of my favorites
Old 29th March 2005
  #19
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
Not sure if it was the first MCI purchased by Pink Floyd...but they purchased a custom console from Criteria.Initally installed in studio B.. This was an oddly designed split affair which was constructed in such a way to permit the left hand input side to be removed and operated independently for remote recording...when docked with the right hand section...made a compete console.I was told it went to Britannia Row.
Old 29th March 2005
  #20
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanders
Animals is an incredible disc!!

I'd love to know more about the recording of that one... The new TapeOP has an article on Gilmour's personal studio. It's a beautiful house boat on a lake that's been converted to a studio (sparing no expenses). It's not advertised, but they do record other "friend of a friend's" bands in there while he's away. Pretty sweet...a floating studio.
Get David Gilmour's DVD. You get to see all about the boat. And a lot more. And the band sounds awesome.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....D=139019&fp=F#
Old 29th March 2005
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
Bingo!

Ruphus
Yo Disco Ruphus!

OK, we agree on Dark Side then, fantastic album... one of those that I hear differently everytime too. thumbsup

But The Wall=Disco? We'll have to agree to disagree there!
I do agree that it's lacking 'something' but it reminds me very much of my childhood, and then rediscovering it along with my discovery of pot.

I too like weirdness, but you've got to admit there are some good moments on The Wall(?). Certainly no Dark Side though.

While we're mentioning Dark Side, there are 2 different desks that I have come across in the last 10 years that claim to have 'THE' Dark Side Neve... Anyone else know anything about this??

The last place was Great Linford Manor, btw, which has since sadly closed it's doors I believe...
Old 29th March 2005
  #22
Lives for gear
 
cdog's Avatar
There is incredible guitar and synth work on Animals... a near perfect album IMO.
Old 29th March 2005
  #23
Lives for gear
 
cdog's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah

While we're mentioning Dark Side, there are 2 different desks that I have come across in the last 10 years that claim to have 'THE' Dark Side Neve... Anyone else know anything about this??

The last place was Great Linford Manor, btw, which has since sadly closed it's doors I believe...
DSOTM was recorded on an EMI TG console.
Old 29th March 2005
  #24
modmusic
Guest
Really weird that I haven't heard this album in years and a prog rock band left it behind in the studio. I played it over and over several times in the last week. I though that Dogs really takes the cake as far as a really well written piece. It definitely evokes serious emotion. That being said however, I though that the sound of the album was pretty bad. Very muffly and wooly sounding. The toms sounded like wet cardboard. The stereo image was small etc... Sometimes I don't like hearing older albums on my nice studio monitors cause it really kills the magic. Its like listening to the Beatles on my setup you can hear too much seperation. Some of the magic goes away when not played through a lower fi setup. Or some of the glue that is. Anyway, I really love Animals and it is my all time favorite PF album. I just won't listen to it on my JBL's anymore. There are somethings that sound even more awesome on the LSR's though. Rush has an even better sound especially Moving Pictures. Especially since my control room was made over and improved. I can hear reverb tails I never knew where there. Very cool.

pat
mms
Old 29th March 2005
  #25
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah

OK, we agree on Dark Side then, fantastic album... one of those that I hear differently everytime too. thumbsup
It just happens that I listened to DSOTM last night. (On SACD). I could never tire of this record. And on SACD (2 channel) it sounds so incredible. Sounds like the vinyl but without the added noise. The SACD makes the CD sound like a cartoon version of the real thing.

One thing that strikes me as odd, though. After Time (right after the clock bells) there is always that pre-printed sound where the keyboards come crashing in. It is gone on the SACD. How is it gone? Wouldn't that have been on the master tape?
Old 29th March 2005
  #26
Captain
 
Mike Shipley's Avatar
 

I was lucky enough to be a "fly on the wall" for a lot of the recording of "Animals" at Brit Row because I knew Brian Humphries.....the engineer on the record and it was very interesting to be around . Tho at that point they were very cynical in the studio and I just sat quietly in the corner as they worked .trying to stay out of the way and take it all in.
The best stuff for me was watching Dave Gilmour play..unbelievable.
Peace Shipshape
Old 29th March 2005
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Jose Mrochek's Avatar
 

"the wall" the album, if you look at it from the concept lyrically.. to the story to how it all unites together in music, not to talk about the super arrangements and melodys.. man, that's got to be the hardest to make album anyone has ever made.. it may not me as "raw" as the other ones, but plastic... woohoo ruphus you had to much coffee today.
Old 29th March 2005
  #28
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmusic
That being said however, I though that the sound of the album was pretty bad. Very muffly and wooly sounding.
Last year I got a brand new (sealed) copy of this album and I sure disagree. The dynamics and acoustic guitar are stunning. Are you listening to it on vinyl?
Old 29th March 2005
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Ruphus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah
it reminds me very much of my childhood, and then rediscovering it along with my discovery of pot.

...
You crack me up, Carl!

Ok, admitted even The Wall ain´t some too easy piece that could have been fudged together so easily e.g. by one of these mercenaries who deliver the crap for madonnas and all the boy group fakey-shaky trash and whatnot.

But still, compared to their great songs, or even just to Gilmour´s solo album(s) [ I know and have only one, which is f**** great though ] The Wall is a Woolworth edition. And since that thing they havn´t produced anything good anymore. ( Ok, they couldn´t anyway, as they don´t cope well anymore long since.)

I can understand your personal relation to it though. We can´t judge music objectively day in day out all the time. Parts of it gets firmly associated with certain moments of personal life and can´t be perceived "objectively" anymore.

That way I came to like the one or other banal piece, or ...
Hey can you think of that I didn´t like Supertramp, Police, or Dire Straits or the song Hotel California when they came out simply because it was played so much everywhere that you just couldn´t escape it?

Well, deep inside I knew that it was great stuff, but I just couldn´t appreciate it right away and had to make my peace with it years after the individual boom was over.

Remember that crappy disco piece "Life Is Life"? What embarrassing stuff! But I had an incredible disco night together with my brother while it was played again and again, and since then it has gotten its special value to me, despite of it being so cheap. It reminds me of him.

Sometimes it happens that way.

Ruphus
Old 29th March 2005
  #30
Lives for gear
 
joaquin's Avatar
 

Hey Shipshape!! Please tell us more...anything that you recall will be most appreciated!!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
SoZo / High End
90
Messiah / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
22
joaquin / The Good News Channel
8
Sounds Great / So Much Gear, So Little Time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump