The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 series pres with line inputs Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 28th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseJim View Post
Adam,

Thanks. That's a supremely helpful reply.

I have run our Roland drum kit (barf if you must) through the TG2 and it sounds quite good. I was wondering if the API would be excellent: I know APIs reputation of mic'd drums but I didn't know if the sampled drum sounds of a drum kit would benefit going into the API DI or DW Fearn into the API mic pre. It sounds like it's worth a shot to say the least.

Next month converter upgrade, month after that more preamps and the DW box, then.....
No barfing needed, just sample good drum sounds and load them into the sampler! Or use them as MIDI triggers with another sampler. Thats what I do, and its WAY more fun. Anyway, the 512c [or 3124+] will be cleaner, faster, than the TG-2, but never the less, punchy as hell, so the API sound is absolutely worth a shot to try with certain stuff. I LOVE what the TG-2 does for this kind of application, but its better to use the DW Fearn LP-1 [Line PAD] so as to HIT the TG-2 mic amps into more saturation, so you can completely change the tone with more density and color rather than using the DI, which still sounds good, but more limiting with line voltage. The VT-3 before the TG-2 just might make you fall over and die, and make those V-Drums-V-DEATH DRUMS!!!!
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
A line pad built into an XLR barrel wil work just fine for balanced line sources into any pre you want.

Two 4k7 ohm resistors in series with the +ve and -ve signals with a 1k1 ohm bridging resistor.

Have the 4k7 facing the source (line out) with the 1k1 bridge at the pre side.
Much better than buying expensive off the shelf solutions, plus you can play with the values to try different impedances a bit.

However 4k7 and 1k1 work well.

Use 1% metal film and hand match the 4k7 resistors with an ohmeter to within a few ohms to achieve 0.00000xxxx% tolerance and hence preserve your CMRR...

-T
So I ground pin 1 to the case of the barrel. I didn't have access to a 4k7 resistor so I used a 560 ohm (resistor) between pins 2 and 3. Then I soldered a 560 ohm resistor to pin 3 and soldered that to a 150k ohm which itself was soldered to pin 2. I did this on the line side instead of the pre side. Will there be a difference if I change the 150k to the pre side? The ohm meter read about 43 ohms. Does this sound right? Can you send me a link on how to calculate the resistance for this type of application? Thanks a bunch.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
DW Fearn LP-1 [Line PAD] so as to HIT the TG-2 mic amps into more saturation, so you can completely change the tone with more density and color rather than using the DI, which still sounds good, but more limiting with line voltage.

The VT-3 before the TG-2 just might make you fall over and die, and
Gimme the LP-1. Trigger pulled.

VT-3.....I will refrain and sticket to budget.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search