The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about my recording room
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Head

Question about my recording room

I had a soundproof room built and the room sounds excellent when you're standing inde it listening to most instruments, especially drums. However, I am having a hard time getting that sound on my recordings. The room is rectangular about 10x9 with 8 foot ceiling. It is stud, sheetrock, insulation, soundboard and foam construction. It reests on sand and it is pretty much totally dead. The kick drum in particular sounds excellent in this room. I have tried many different mic combinations and the kit sounds best either totally close miked or with one good mic overhead and a bass drum mic. Being new to this, what issues may I be having with this room which makes it so hard to get a good sound on disc. And if you had a room like this, what mic technique would you try first. My kit is a 4 piece with 2 rides, 2 crashes, a china, and Hihat. Thanks!!!!!
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

Less muffling of the room helps. A bad/dead room could suck the sound out of the drums!
Also size matters! Bigger is better to some degree here.
Are 10 x 9 x 8 foot = 3,03 x 2,73 x 2,42 meters?
If so, than it is far to small (mayby good for vocals, amps)!
For me a drum room should have at least 6x5x4 meters!

Have a look at this thread.
Old 28th February 2003
One with big hooves

That's a pretty small room to squash a drum set into. Since your new to this you'll have to get used to the fact that NOTHING ever sounds the same in the room as it does on tape. You can shoot for almost as good or improved, but identical is just not possible. Try adding a room mic to the kit and see how that sounds.
Old 28th February 2003
Gear Head

A workable solution discovered last night has greatly alleviated my problems. After reading in Keen's book that if you have a small room, then you should close mic, I decided to try that. I am using a d6 on kick a beta 52 on snare angled sort of towards the hihat (this reduced a lot of the nastiness from the snare) a 604 on the two toms and a royer 121 above the kit about 4 feet from the top of the bass drum, positioned vertically to pick up the top of the kit and cyms. It has given me close to what I am looking for, which is a very up front sound, and I will further experiment today. Thanks!!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search