The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shopping new LCD monitors....dual 17" or 18" and extension cables?
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

Shopping new LCD monitors....dual 17" or 18" and extension cables?

Hey all, I just dropped the order for a new dual 867 (actually an old one that'll boot into 9) and now I'm looking for monitors.
the Apple 17" studio looks cool but I'd like to be able to have more angle adjustment....so I'm leaning towards the NEC 1850 e LCD 18".

Found those for 584.00 ea., a couple hundred less than the Apple monitors.

Any other suggestions/brands appreciated.

(if the pic quality on the Apple is that much better I'm not opposed to going that way.....opinions?)

Also ,we need to get about 15 feet from the CPU (in gear closet) to the desk.
My understanding is the pic will suffer after that point but there are boxes that will allow (Geffen, for lots o $$) long cable runs.
we could get by with 15'. Anyone using extensions on a similar rig?
thanks.
Old 25th February 2003
Gear Addict

The Samsung Syncmaster 191T is an amazing buy. You can get it for $799 and it is 19 inches. The picture is as good or better than the Apple LCD's. Crystal clear and so brilliant I keep the brightness less than half way up. Also, the outside ege is very thin (less than an inch) so you can squeeze dual monitors really close together for a neat effect.

Oh and they look really cool too.
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ckevperry
The Samsung Syncmaster 191T is an amazing buy. You can get it for $799 and it is 19 inches. The picture is as good or better than the Apple LCD's. Crystal clear and so brilliant I keep the brightness less than half way up. Also, the outside ege is very thin (less than an inch) so you can squeeze dual monitors really close together for a neat effect.

Oh and they look really cool too.
Thanks, do you use long cables by any chance? I assume you have to convert to vga (your on a mac?)
craig
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Addict

No long cables....Another great feature it has VGA and DVI inputs. I have two computers connected to it and can switch between the two with the push of one button.
Old 26th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

I've successfully run 10m VGA extensions - just make sure you use good quality video cable (VDC in the UK)... I've had trouble with cheaper "computer store" no-name stuff. Dr. Bott do a cheap DVI->VGA adaptor for the second port on your G4 (an ADC->VGA one comes with it).

If you're connecting digitally, Dr. Bott also do ADC extensions for the Apple displays. Never tried long runs with DVI. The obvious general rule is to keep the cables as short as possible. I'm guessing you'll also need extensions for your keyboard & mouse - just use active USB extenders (again, fine upto around 10m) or string a powered hub between two passive cables.
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Maniac

cajonezzz ...

Just went through this .. upgrade and monitor. Decided to get the Viewsonic VX900, also $799. Spending as many hours as I do in front of the damn thing I was sold by the 500:1 contrast ratioheh Apple's is 350:1 and about the max on any other screen. I figured any thing I could do to avoid the eyeburn basketball effect was worth a shot. While not quite as sleek as the Samsung (which is pretty cool), it's got speakers that are always good for that crappy little sound. A & D of coarse .. tight like drum .. and it's got a tv tuner option that I might get .. so I can spend ALL my waking hours in front of it .. grggt

check it out ...
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vx900.htm
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

i just got two hp 18.1 inch lcd displays. they look great, have every kind of input, and here is the main rub...they have the smallest bezel of any monitors i shopped. i use two of them pushed together...the usual mix window and arrange window config. anyhow, the two bezels together are about the size of any one regular bezel, so it really helps ensure that the picture between the two has the least interruption. as close to one big ass lcd as you can get. around 600 each.
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

I run 4 of the NEC 18". Most of the very newest generation look very good. The main thing, IMO, is to make sure that you get both VGA and DVI inputs for the flexibility. DVI looks slightly cleaner ,but VGA can run 50'+ with good cables and still lok great.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by pounce
i just got two hp 18.1 inch lcd displays. they look great, have every kind of input, and here is the main rub...they have the smallest bezel of any monitors i shopped. i use two of them pushed together...the usual mix window and arrange window config. anyhow, the two bezels together are about the size of any one regular bezel, so it really helps ensure that the picture between the two has the least interruption. as close to one big ass lcd as you can get. around 600 each.
Thanks for the info. do you have a model number? remember what you payed?
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
I run 4 of the NEC 18". Most of the very newest generation look very good. The main thing, IMO, is to make sure that you get both VGA and DVI inputs for the flexibility. DVI looks slightly cleaner ,but VGA can run 50'+ with good cables and still lok great.

Regards,
Brian T
Brian, are your monitors the 1850 e's? Are you using the DVI ins or converting to vga?
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Maniac

I am using a Dr.Bott ADC extender and it works fine.

Check http://www.drbott.com/
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Nut

Craig,

I have a NEC 1850e (black) and a svga 10' or 12' extension cable unused. I live in escondido if you're interested email me

[email protected]
Old 26th February 2003
Gear Maniac

I'm delighted with my new Apple 20" cinema display at 1680 X 1050.
Old 27th February 2003
Can you have mix & edit windows opened on the Apple 20"?
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

does anyone know if the Apple monitors are VESA compliant.....for mounting on arms. 4 hole pattern on back? I haven't been able to find any ino on the apple site. Maybe someone could look a the back of theirs?

I'm still undecided as to what to buy ..the Nec seems to be the value at 529.oo a piece for the 1855nx black. But not having seen them in person.
Can someone please push me over the edge on this?
thanks
Old 12th March 2003
Here for the gear

I have a new pair of acer 722's..with rebate they were like $540.00 Canadian! IE about $350.00 each. I was using a pair of apple 15's. The acers are just fine, i am very pleased; i would have liked a fancier pair but I got both of these for less than the price of any single monitor mentioned about. Hard to argu with that for me!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search