The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you guys plan your patchbays
Old 24th February 2003
How do you guys plan your patchbays

Ok, here is the thing:
I got 2 1/4" 48 point patchbays those models that need soldering on the back.
Now I'm using a Tascam 2524 console to track most of the instruments on my studio. I usually use 10 ch of pre amps to track drums and everything else goes direct into the converters (scratch tracks).
I'll get rid of the board very soon and get a Sytek 4ch, a RNP and probably something else to make 8 ch of nice preamps.
Now my question, should I make all the soldering on my PB now, using the 2524 and then re-do it later when I get rid of it? How do you guys plan the "upgrades" and aditions in your studios/patchbays?
I don't know if I made myself clear about the question....
Ok, when I sell the board, I'll get the sytek, I'll add the sytek to the pb and only later I'll get the RNP. Should I leave the space on the PB to the RNP next to the sytek? Or should I add it later in some empty space on the PB?
Ahhhh sorry! Too much stuff into my mind right now
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

I would wire it for the console right now and re-do it for the stand-alone pres later. If they need similar cable lengths, you should be able to just change the connector ends that need it without pulling the bays.
If the bulk of your connections are to/ from converters, try to set-up as many half-normals as you can manage to cut down on patches. Mic pre 1-10 to A/D 1-10 so you only need to patch for compressors, EQs, etc.
For future expansion, I wire leads from unused patch points into the outboard rack so I won't have to pull the bay to do an install. I'm on 1/4" long-frame soldered at the rear PBs as well, plenty of room to work! HTH
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

If I were you, I would solder wires to the bay that are long enough to reach your current console, and are long enough to reach you future preamp rack. Plus a few extra feet.

That way all I'd have to do is unplug the cables from the desk and plug em into the replacement stuff.

I wouldn't run my mics (before amplification) through the bay though. I'd make a small snake leading into the control room or have a 1ru breakout panel in the rack to plug the mics directly into.

Make sure to label all your cables at the connector with the bay jack number/letter. I bought this great tape from markertek for cable labling.

Everyone should check it out because it's perfect for the job.

Tyton Cable Labels

Seriously they're the best.
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
If
I wouldn't run my mics (before amplification) through the bay though.
Faeflora why wouldn't you run the mic through the patchbay?
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by studjo
Faeflora why wouldn't you run the mic through the patchbay?
Running mic level signal for long distances is considered a bad idea because your S/N will go bonkers, you'll get frequency attenuation. S/N is really why.

I try to keep my setup as "high fi" (literal meaning not colloquial) as possible. I don't like to comprimise my sound. I want the only limitation in my recordings to be the source audio.

You can build a good breakout panel for cheapo from markertek. I was going to do this, but I just made a 3 foot labled snake for my pre inputs and hid it behind my rack.
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

So I'm happy the way it is in my studio. I have 8 mic-lines on my patch. It doesn't matter whether I make a discrete break-out box with mic lines or go just to my patch. It's the same distance physically.
Of course, I switch phantom power on when I'm done with patching

Every other mic line is normalled to the desk input. I have a little variety this way, which I like.

Thanks for the info - Jo
Old 25th February 2003
One with big hooves

I have 16 mic lines on my bays. Now here's the interesting part, 8 of those are normalled to console mic inputs. The other 8 aren't normalled to anything. If I have a mic in channel 1 and that mic then patched to an outboard pre it's also feeding the pre on the desk. Now, since the desk pres are transformerless IC based deals and all my outboard pres are transformer input am I loading things down?

I hadn't really thought about it before but it dawned on me the other night. Almost every studio I've been in has mic patching on a TT bay and it's almost always normalled to the console mic inputs.
Old 26th February 2003
well, I got 1/4" bays... I have done PB w/ mic lines on it, but only TT ones...
for me it's no big deal, I'll just turn the phantom power of when patching
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear