The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Keyboard/ guitar/ bass DI
Old 23rd February 2003
Here for the gear

Keyboard/ guitar/ bass DI

Hi,

I am new around here. From where I come from, it is almost impossible to try out gear so i would like to hear your opinions on this.

I just sold my console and I need something to drive my keyboard sound modules/ samplers before going into the DAW.
I currently have a 2 channel John Hardy M-1 but it does not have a DI. So I am looking at the following DIs:

Groove Tubes DITTO
Avalon U5
Or any other DIs/ with some gain

Would appreciate any input on this. Or do u think I should sell off my beloved M-1 and get the newer preamps w/DIs. The cost is around the same I guess.

Thank you.

Ian
Old 23rd February 2003
Lives for gear

I have the Avalon U5. It's great for those instruments. I think it would be a great choice for your needs.

Good luck.
Old 23rd February 2003
Gear Maniac

I'd have to agree about the U5. It's a great di. Tried and true on keys, bass, guitars.
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

I think it also depends on the kind of sound you are looking for. I just bought a couple DITTO's and I love them. But the Avalon's might be less colored sounding if that is what you are looking for.

I did substitute the tubes in my DITTO's based on the recommendation of the GT guy that designed it. For a less obviously colored tone I now have GT7025 tubes in them instead of the factory tubes. Sounds beautiful. The factory tubes sound excellent on guitar and bass though. It's nice to be able to modify the sound of a DI by popping in different tubes.

I also use a stereo passive DI made by Jensen Transformers, their ISOMAX model.

Since you already have a nice preamp, you might want to just get a few different DI's, as that will give you a lot of tonal flexibility.
Old 1st March 2003
Here for the gear

Thanks for your input. I have decided to get both the DITTO and the U5 so that I can compare them. I have a feeling I will keep both. Thanks anyway.

Ian
Old 2nd March 2003
The DITTO rocks...unless you don't like the DI on the Vipre.
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Keyboard/ guitar/ bass DI

Quote:
Originally posted by zenmusician
Hi,

I am new around here. From where I come from, it is almost impossible to try out gear so i would like to hear your opinions on this.

I just sold my console and I need something to drive my keyboard sound modules/ samplers before going into the DAW.
I currently have a 2 channel John Hardy M-1 but it does not have a DI. So I am looking at the following DIs:

Groove Tubes DITTO
Avalon U5
Or any other DIs/ with some gain

Would appreciate any input on this. Or do u think I should sell off my beloved M-1 and get the newer preamps w/DIs. The cost is around the same I guess.

Thank you.

Ian

I would check out the Little Labs stuff as well. Their Multi-Z DI has been a favorite of mine for a long time, and they have a new product called the Red Eye that may be just the thing to use in conjunction with your Hardy (don't sell the beloved Hardy!)

Cheers,
john
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

I had been using my GT Vipre for tracking bass guitars, I figured - hey this is a Vipre, it's gotta sound the best , but the other day I tracked my Fender Jazz through an API 3124+, and got even better results. I guess it's better to listen with your ears than your eyes.
Old 3rd March 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Meriphew
I had been using my GT Vipre for tracking bass guitars, I figured - hey this is a Vipre, it's gotta sound the best , but the other day I tracked my Fender Jazz through an API 3124+, and got even better results. I guess it's better to listen with your ears than your eyes.
That's true, but it's very subjective also. I tried the same thing, still got better results with the Vipre and the DITTO. Much smoother, the API's need a little help IMO (like a FATSO) to soften the edges a bit.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
That's true, but it's very subjective also. I tried the same thing, still got better results with the Vipre and the DITTO. Much smoother, the API's need a little help IMO (like a FATSO) to soften the edges a bit.
I agree, it is very subjective Nathan - type of music, type of instrumentation, density of music etc. etc. will all play a role in which pre/di sounds best on which instrument in each given scenario.
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Nut

Lately for DI (esp. synths & basses)
I've been using the RNP,
into a FATSO,
into an Avalon 747...

This chain may not top the U5, etc., etc.
but I've been getting great sounds,
and the musos are happy...
rollz rollz rollz rollz rollz
Rock and Roll,
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Guru

I have the Pendulum MDP-1. It is a great tube mic pre but is also simply wonderful as a DI. The DI selects between instrument and line level making it nice for keyboards or just looping a track out and in of your DAW for some extra color.

Bass players have used terms like "responsive" to describe it. 'It growls when I want it to growl' said one.

I don't own any of the units mentioned above so I can't really offer a direct comparison- just to say the Pendulum is worth checking out.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by joeq
I have the Pendulum MDP-1. It is a great tube mic pre but is also simply wonderful as a DI.
I have one also and couldn't agree more... killer unit!!!
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

The Pendulum was my first choice, but I just couldn't afford to spend that kind of bread. After more use, I still love my DITTO's, especially with the 7025 tubes.
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Nut

You must check out the Little Labs DI, my IBP has the same Di as the MultiZ
and it sounds absolutely KILLER, it smoked the Avalon U5 on some bass tracks the other day....

Amund

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search