The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Will we ever see a 3rd party PT HD Interface?
Old 22nd February 2003
Lives for gear

Will we ever see a 3rd party PT HD Interface?

Has anyone heard any rumors or whispers of one of the better converter companies reverse engineering the Pro Tools interface? The 192 is much better than the 888, but still, a Prism would be nice!
Old 22nd February 2003
There is only one

according to the ad's.... prism does have the interface now, or soon
Old 22nd February 2003
Alpha is right.

"Now" I think is the answer.

Jules
Old 22nd February 2003
Lives for gear

Amen! I wonder if that means DB tech (now Avery) is following suit?
Old 22nd February 2003
Old 24th February 2003
Lives for gear

it works...& sounds great!!!!!!!!
Old 25th February 2003
I use my Prisms on a Mix +

I am dying to record with them at 96k!

Old 28th February 2003
Lives for gear

i will try to post a pic soon taken @ Crescent Moon
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

warning

Just a note to Prism users. Digi does not ,apparently ,consider Prism a threat. They do consider Apogee a threat. Having a/b'ed Trak2 vs. Prism, I chose the Trak2. THIS IS NOT the point. Choose what you like. That said, all Digi has to do is put a slight code change in the 'Harware Setup' window and Prism users will be forced, like the rest of us, to purchase the 'Digi Dongle 192 Extortion Box'. While it's not tragic, it sure is a pain in the ass. On the other hand, it does allow me to use my Apogees, Manley's and Troisis's and System6000 via AES and clock the whole bit to word.
My guess is that if enough people use the reverse engineered Prism, Digi will clamp down and change that window. Start saving a few coins or you'll have some down days waiting for a patch.
cheers,
chap
ps- the Prism sounded great etc....
Old 7th March 2003
Gear Nut

Re: warning

Quote:
Originally posted by chap
That said, all Digi has to do is put a slight code change in the 'Harware Setup' window and Prism users will be forced, like the rest of us, to purchase the 'Digi Dongle 192 Extortion Box'.
I wonder if there are any Prism users with the Digi interface out there that have installed PT6.0 yet... did it break?
Old 7th March 2003
"Just a note to Prism users. Digi does not ,apparently ,consider Prism a threat. They do consider Apogee a threat"

Hmmm..

Thats an odd statement IMHO Chap. Digi simply dont like ANY 3rd party interfaces, they just want to be selling theirs, bottom line.

Jules
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

clarification

Hey Jules,
You sir, are correct. Digi is a greedy bastard (right or wrong). Ultimately, with the proliferation of great 3rd party converters like Prism and Apogee etc...Digi may realize it has made a mistake.
My point is that Prism is a reverse engineered product with a smaller user base than Apogee.
They are manufactured outside of the US making it more difficult for Digi to litigate.
I wish Apogee would reverse engineer their products too. They did, after all, have a legal agreement with Digi. I'm afraid that Digi would go after them.
They are located fairly close and have a long history. Digi could easily out litigate Apogee from a purely financial stance. Apogee (contrary to popular notion) is a small company that has chosen to move on. I wish they had the resources
to fight the big, bad wolf. In the mean time props to Prism for it's brass balls and fine converters.

The warning about the hardware window is true although I don't think it's worth it for Digi to re write code unless Prism begins to sell thousands of units in the US. Do you hear any saber rattling from Digi over there?
Hope you are well,
JC

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search