The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what do you think of the Trident 70 series
Old 8th July 2002
Lives for gear

what do you think of the Trident 70 series

hi all,

I'm about to upgrade my project studio. I'm using a ProTools HD2, 192I/O. Being a drummer, i do a fair amount of drum tracking at my studio. I currently use the Precision8 mic pre and even though it sounds very good, i'm looking for some pre's with a bit more colors and possibly some sort of small console to sum the PT stuff as i heard many people raving about this way of mixing but never tried it myself.
Anyways, so far i have my heart set on the Dakings pre/eq. The Eqs sound very musical and the pre's are FAST and in your face !!
I'm also contemplating the possibility of getting a console and was looking at the Trident 70 series. Since there is no way for me to test drive the console, i almost have to buy it blind. Anyways, can anyone here care to comment about this particular console ?? the asking price was
$ 12 500.00....is this a good deal ???
Thanks a million.
Old 8th July 2002
Gear Nut

I had a Trident 70 for a few years and I can tell you that they sound great. It is basically a scaled down version of the Trident 80. The mic pres and eq's sound very nice. They have a clear, crispy sound that is very musical. Old Tridents need a lot of maintainence so be sure you buy some spare modules and that you keep the various switches, pan pots, and caps on hand.

My Trident had an upgraded output buss that used an API circiut with Jensen 990 op amps and transformers. It was not much money for the mod and is worth doing. I had mine done at Sonic Circus and I believe that the mod was sold as a kit by Inward Connections.

At that price, be sure that the console is fully loaded because it is difficult to find spare modules.

My only complaint is that the Trident 70 cannot be fitted with Uptown automation because the faders don't fit.
Old 9th July 2002
Lives for gear

My only concern is that i'm getting this board through a dealer in the US and i live in Montreal, Canada. They told me the board has been recapped and asking $ 12000 ( but i'm sure it's negotiable ).
BTW, why did you get rid of your Trident ??
Old 9th July 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by vudoo
My only concern is that i'm getting this board through a dealer in the US and i live in Montreal, Canada. They told me the board has been recapped and asking $ 12000 ( but i'm sure it's negotiable ).
BTW, why did you get rid of your Trident ??
I would look for one for less. They are not that valuable. I have seen them for $8k or $9k.

I got rid of mine because I got out of the studio business. I am a freelance engineer now.
Old 17th July 2002
Gear Addict

anyone have the website for inward connections?

ml
Old 17th July 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by muddy
anyone have the website for inward connections?

ml
Their new line is sold through Boutique Audio, I think, so it would be www.boutiqueaudio.com . But if you're trying to get hold of Steve Firlotte, e-mail me and I'll hunt up his e-mail address.
Old 18th July 2002
Gear Addict

hey dave. i didn't notice this api "summing amp kit" at boutique's website. is this why i'd want steve's email? is he the kit dood? on the same topic, i did notice someone else selling api summing amp/cards for what looked to be reasonable $. i just recently purchased a speck electronics m-72 console cheaply from a mate, & was considering this mod for it. doable? good idea? reasonable $-wise to have done on site (too difficult to do myself)? similarly, would it be worth investigating having some more of the mic pre slots (has 2 of vince's original jensen equipped pre's, of which he no longer makes) fitted; in other words, as a more cost effective solution to outbord pre's (at the moment, at least)? do you think the osa api 312's, or neve copy card/kits (which would be at the upper range. in price, short of just whackin' 'em in a lunchbox)) are an alternative? lastly, do ya think it'd be worth investigatin' transformer balancing the individual eq strips on each channel, say as & when i could afford to? anyone in manhattan you'd recommend talkin' to? sorry for the 20 questions; i'm learning. thanx,

ml
Old 19th July 2002
Gear Nut

You should talk to Dave at Sonic Circus. He is the one who talked me into having the mod done. He should remember who did it and could probably get the stuff for it.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkynuts View Post
Brave man !

Seriously though ,very kind of you to offer your services to fellow slutz gratis thumbsup
Sorry to go OT, but "gratis"... I thought this was an exclusive swedish word? Gratis = free. I've heard it being used in english a couple of times as of late. Why?
Old 19th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by durre View Post
Sorry to go OT, but "gratis"... I thought this was an exclusive swedish word? Gratis = free.

gratis is latin, the world's longest living dead language. thumbsup

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 19th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Alvin View Post
I would look for one for less. They are not that valuable. I have seen them for $8k or $9k.

agreed, even $8k seems on the high side. then again, i remember when people had trouble moving them for $3k.

to the o.p., i love all trident desks, they each have an abundance of character and i vastly prefer any of the mid-level 80's/90's desks to mixing itb.

gregoire
del
ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search