The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tips for classic rock band
Old 18th August 2008
Deleted User
Tips for classic rock band

im recording a band that plays classic rock influenced music. Does anybody have any micing tips or anything for record the drums and guitar?
Old 18th August 2008
Use minimal micing on the drums, maybe just room/overhead mics and maybe kick and snare mics. I'd recommend pulling the guitar mics back farther than you might for a modern sound as well. Use the space and the distant micing to achieve more depth and less separation, which can go a long way towards acheiving a recording with a more classic vibe.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'll state the absolutely obvious and say use 'real' instruments...
zero soft synths etc...

Use real tube amps... and classic guitars...
Martin and Gibson Acoustics, classic drum sizes and setups, mic the bass amp instead of DI'ing... or run both, etc..

I think part of the struggle of putting together a classic rock-ish album these days is that many of those albums were made in a single room at a single studio.. sometimes with many of the tracks played live... it's tough to get that ambience/vibe while solo tracking out every single instrument...
If possible.. do it without a click, get a few of the guys in a room... mic everything up and hit record. Then establish a 'process' from there...

those are my quick thoughts anyways.. good luck!!
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere View Post
I'll state the absolutely obvious and say use 'real' instruments...
zero soft synths etc...

Use real tube amps... and classic guitars...
Martin and Gibson Acoustics, classic drum sizes and setups, mic the bass amp instead of DI'ing... or run both, etc..

I think part of the struggle of putting together a classic rock-ish album these days is that many of those albums were made in a single room at a single studio.. sometimes with many of the tracks played live... it's tough to get that ambience/vibe while solo tracking out every single instrument...
If possible.. do it without a click, get a few of the guys in a room... mic everything up and hit record. Then establish a 'process' from there...

those are my quick thoughts anyways.. good luck!!
Yeah....just like he saidthumbsup
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Head

signal chains

get a stack of allman borhters, lynard skynard, and black oak arkansas records and try to replicate some of the sounds from those legendary southern rock bands.

i had the pleasure of engineering a local southern rock band, and we used alot of ribbon's and LDC's set to fig of 8 for the room sound. That record turned out pretty good. Last i heard it got a nod from the grammy board. I can't confirm or deny it though.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

As A La Mere says...Its all about the sources. They are everything. Gibson, Fender, Marshall, Orange, HiWatt, Martin, Ludwig, Hammond etc etc. Get those things right and you're laughing.

Quite rightly it has been suggested that you use minimal micing because thats the way those records were done but be careful...often bands want to play classic rock but have a modern sound. I'd track it with as many mics as you feel you need to achieve a modern sound and then you can remove them in the mix.
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Addict

I agree with the last post. Track the drums with toms mic'ed.

Here's what I'd recommend.

Use dynamics on the toms (Audio Technica D series are great) for a classic rock sound.

I made the mistake of not tracking toms a couple of times and really regretted it.

Pay a lot of attention to getting the room mics really sounding great as this may well end up being the biggest overall influence on your drum sound.

The hardest thing about getting a good rock drum sound is actually finding someone who can play it. The drummer needs to hit the skins HARD and the metal softer. A lot of drummers do the exact opposite and you end up with a clanging mess of cymbals and whimpy snare hits..

Gats- Use proper all valve amps( ie expensive) and don't just close mic the cabs. use a mic a few feet back to pick up some room sound. This can be mixed in to taste. Watch for phase though.
For a tight classic rock sound, try smaller combo amps. These tend to be easier to work with.

Turn the amps up loud.

Bass- Stingray, P-bass or J-bass. The genuine article only (if possible. Does make a big difference). These are the three basses used most in modern recorded music and have a great sound that will sit well in a mix if played well.

Mic the cab and DI as well. Spend time getting the sound you want through the mic and don't think about fixing it in the mix. Same goes for guitars.

Also, import a reference mix of a rock track you like into your session. Use it as a guide to help you get started. Nothing wrong with learning from the greats.

This is all pretty basic stuff that you may already know but I hope some of it is useful.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere View Post

Didn't Capricorn Studio have an API console back in the day? I know lots of the Allman Bro's was tracked through APIs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search