The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
John mayer: where the light is Instrument Preamps
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

John mayer: where the light is

I just bought the latest dvd of John mayer: where the light is. Ok first it's a really good show with awsome musicien! but for a live dvd it just sound so great! I got to say that chad franscoviak did suck a good job. They got good gear to capture the sound and it's just so great. You should take a look!
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

I agree - the acoustics sound amazing on the first set...not sure what kind of LDC that is that they have on John's Martin.

I could do without all of the melodyne or whatever they are using though - they really over-do the pitch correction.

Overall, very enjoyable DVD - stunning on Blu-Ray.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choinga View Post
I agree - the acoustics sound amazing on the first set...not sure what kind of LDC that is that they have on John's Martin.

I could do without all of the melodyne or whatever they are using though - they really over-do the pitch correction.

Overall, very enjoyable DVD - stunning on Blu-Ray.
I'm not sure what percentage they mix the neumann and the pickup on the acoustic set (but it certainly sound more natural than any piezo)
They maybe use a lot of pitch correction I will have to do a second listening, but John upgrade his voice and blow in live performance since the trio!
Old 17th August 2008
Here for the gear

On "I don't trust myself (with loving you)", listen to the line "if my past is any sign of your future". How in the world does that get past everyone before it gets released? Blatant auto-tuning like that drives me crazy..
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmusic1981 View Post
On "I don't trust myself (with loving you)", listen to the line "if my past is any sign of your future". How in the world does that get past everyone before it gets released? Blatant auto-tuning like that drives me crazy..
yup - that's a big one. You can tell a lot on the oooo'hs and falsetto stuff as well - especially when you are watching the DVD. There are parts where it's obvious visually he's either moving up or down but audibily they alter the tone to stay even, etc...
Old 17th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmusic1981 View Post
Yeah... I mean... it's not like Mayer is some tin-ear, right? I'm not crazy about him, but it's very clear he's a fine musician with a pleasant enough voice.

Why wouldn't he raise a huge stink when stuff like this gets released?

It's like hanging a big sign around one's neck that says, "I'm a loser who can't sing -- but I think I can put one over on you, the dumb ass music consumer."

I really doubt that's Mayer's attitude -- but that's how it strikes me. And as more and more consumers start tuning in to the distinctive robo-tune tells, and begin to realize just why so many vocalists today sound robotic, they're becoming increasingly cynical about the abilities of the artists they've been supporting.

And just try searching YouTube for "autotune" -- you'll find a number of primers -- with examples -- on how to spot robotuning, so those "dumb ass consumers" are going to get increasingly cynical.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
I'm not sure what percentage they mix the neumann and the pickup on the acoustic set (but it certainly sound more natural than any piezo)
Who knows? I think he uses a Martin Gold+ Natural saddle pickup in that thing, run into an Avalon U5 DI. Some guitars react to saddle pickups better than others. I love making generalized statements about acoustic pickups, but in reality, I shouldn't.
Old 2nd September 2008
Here for the gear

Yes, what a great DVD; production value really really high as has come to be expected from the Mayer camp. The artwork, visuals (the blu-ray has some really favourable reviews for picture quality) and bonus footage make it a great package.

The only thing that bugs me is the pulverising the audio got in mastering: the output level dips drastically when there are comparatively big peaks, e.g. when the drums enter on top of the guitar in the beginning of 'Good Love is On The Way'. Ugh! Outrageously saggy there. Outside of that and the aforementioned pitch-correction abuse it really is a class release.

Seriously slutty stage too, with JM's racked pedal switching system, several mega $$s Dumble heads, Avalon pres and more tasty strats than you can shake a stick at. Oh, and Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino, of course!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search