The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Mixing Headphones?? Studio Headphones
Old 1st October 2008
Lives for gear

Recently I bought the Beyer DT-880 Pro based upon favorable review on the GS board. I'm really surprised by the gap in the mids on this phone. Dramatically laking in mids, even after a generous break-in. I doubt they'll be of any use. The Senn 650 were bought at the same time. Much better than the DT-880, but still hi-fi'ish. Sort of disappointed in both the DT-880 and the 650 at the moment, even when driven by a Grace m902. I'd been working on AKG 271 and 270 models, and I was hoping for a big improvement with the Beyer and Senn phones, but I'm not at all convinced I achieved that.

John-
Old 1st October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I'm happy to see my competition frying their ears permanently, using too much reverb and screwing up the mid-side balance mixing in headphones! This will be an easy business to conquer.

Please, MIX IN HEADPHONES! Ahh hhaaaaa haaaaa!!!!!! heh
Fun, but I wouldn't agree that you use too much reverb using headphones, but rather too little. Because you can hear deeper into the mix and hear the reverb better. Without question. And frying the ears? You don't have to monitor very loudly necessarily... But mid-side? Oh yes, I agree.

Back to topic. Another one for Sennheiser HD600. Nice and older so they come cheaply too. I don't have a recommendation for amp, since I don't have any yet sadly. Sound good strait out of the RME too.
Old 1st October 2008
Beyerdynamic DT880's! They're the most comfortable headphones ever, and once they're properly burned-in, they sound better than any other headphones I've ever used... I mix on them exclusively!
Old 1st October 2008
Lives for gear

I don't know about "Best"... but i have settled quite many years ago on akg's K240studio phones... so for me they are great reference phones... i know exactly how they sound and/or translate in my monitors... plus they are very confortable for long sessions... i love eqing (actually eq checking)with them

i don't even mind the leak on tracking sessions either... and the new models with the removable cords are nice.
Old 1st October 2008
Lives for gear

I'd second sen hd600s. Never have too many nasty surprises if i have to mix on em. Give em a fair while to break in though - mine were almost brutally bright out of the box but are far more neutral now -though they are still bright sounding cans to me. Anyone else experience a big change after break in?

I'd also repeat the point that it's really easy for the level to creep up way past a safe point when working on cans - gotta be careful!
Old 15th December 2008
Here for the gear

is no-one going to mention the beyer dt250 or dt150. i believe they use the dt250 in studios alot and the 150 at the bbc. people at headfi are always saying how underappreciated these models are.

i would be interested to know what you miss when mixing with headphones compared to monitors if anyone can say more about that.

personally ive been using ultrasone pro-750's (after a long burn in which considerably smoothed out the harsh highs and big bass). i dont notice a scooped mid listening to them (although i havent anything to compare them with), but when you put the pl750 mixed music on ordinary hi-fi speakers some of the mid heavy synth parts are too loud and out of place but sounded fine on the headphones. :(
Old 15th December 2008
Gear Addict

Sony MDR 7509s. Both me and a friend of mine have these headphones (same model). I have used mine extensively and listen to music outside of the studio on them, his have seen far less use.

The two pairs sound completely different. Mine sound much more open with more detailed highs and a greater sense of dimension to what you are listening to. In comparison his sound flat and dull.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear
This is an important thread.
Aside from gear arguments Grado RS-1 are one of few best you can do critical listening on but at nearly £800? Nope.

I mix on 1030A's and NS10's and when I have to use headphones it's always been HD-25's.
I can mix on these as i've had them for 13 years BUT I am more and more convinced that it was a little indoctrination by the audio institute who sold them at the time. Not a problem as you mix to what you know and HD25's they are very, very good but the more I chat to long term users, the more i've discovered that all of my old engineer colleagues (classes of 2000-2004) have developed a tourettes-twitch from constantly adjusting the cable in the left ear of HD25's, which is not great for having faith in mixing decisions and I suspect this is either a headphone age thing or a design flaw (one flaw of which you can physically SEE). I love the audio quality of Sennie's though.

I am looking at changing and would appreciate some good leads on mid priced (up to £300) phones for mixing.
Don't really need any more discussion on why its bad to mix in headphones or hearing damage, (Stay ON Target!) but would love your opinions on what to listen to when I actually FIND a shop still standing in London.
Thanks Peeps!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBird View Post

I am looking at changing and would appreciate some good leads on mid priced (up to £300) phones for mixing.
I purchased the HD650 and there is no turning back. At first I was apprehensive about mixing with phones because of all the negative comments. The HD650's are outstanding. Sure I need to tweak when re-listening through my monitors (Dynaudio BM5a's), but we are talking minimal tweaking. On some occasions, the mixes are spot on with just the headphones! I guess the main thing is, just as with monitors, your ears need to get used to the headphones. I have tried other headphones, and I can certainly see why there are negative comments about mixing with them. but for me, the HD650's get the job done.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBird View Post
This is an important thread.
Aside from gear arguments Grado RS-1 are one of few best you can do critical listening on but at nearly £800? Nope.
Really?

I always found Grado coloured.

They have that "Grado sound" that many hi-fi people like, but I would not say is good for critical editing and mastering.

I would put the Sennheiser HD800 at the top and the HD700 2nd.

After that, I would put the HD650, HD600 and AKG K701 & K702 pretty equal in 3rd place.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

I got me a pair of AKG K702 few weeks ago and I am sastisfied. I had a Senn HD280 and a Beyer DT770 but they are closed headphone and I wanted a pair of open one.
The K702 really need a breaking period (put them on CHOM FM for 5 days). They are best known for their midrange clarity and I find it to be true, but also the bass range is very articulate. On familiar materiel I can hear the bass drum like I never did.
Old 12th February 2013
How about for less than $150? :-)

ATH-M50s?
HD215?
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Head

yeah I'm looking for something around $200. I've had the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros for a couple of years now, which I bought to replace my 15? year old akg 240's. They are great as tracking phones, but I don't get why everybody loves them for critical listening, they sound unpleasantly midrangey to me.

Now I'm not saying ye olde k240's were perfect, but they sure sounded unhypey, even if they were not the most detailed. I could listen to them for hours with no problem. So I ordered some k240 mkII's a couple of days ago figuring they'd be in the same ballpark. Erg. No. They actually sound lumpier and boxier to me than my old 240's.

(I guess ideally I need a store with a bunch of them on display or order like 5 different ones and return whatever I don't like.)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search