The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone ever used an Audient 8028?
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear
Anyone ever used an Audient 8028?

I'm considering an analog console around the 20-30,000 dollar region. Being in Europe, I am considering the Audient, Trident or D&R. I'm particularly interested in the Audient, as I have worked on a number of David Dearden's DDA consoles in the past and have always found that reliability is high on his list of priorities. I would love to hear any opinions from users.

DW
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear
Sorry, typo... that should read Audient 8024.

DW
Old 20th February 2003
Gear Guru

In that price range you should also consider a Neotek Elan. They are making them is Chicago again. It's a much more pro-type console than a Audient. They are fully modular and can have an integrated patchbay as well as ELCO multi-pin (120) connectors. Neotek Look here!
Old 20th February 2003
One with big hooves

I've never seen or used an Audient but they look interesting. Let us know what you find out. The only thing to consider with a Trident is that the consoles are at least 10 years old at this point and some parts are hard to find but are at least available. You might want to look into a Tri-Tech or MTA console rather then an old Trident.
Old 21st February 2003
Gear Addict

A local dealer had an Audient desk in the showroom. I didn't have a chance to listen to anything through it, but the knobs all felt like loose teeth. In addition, as Drumsound brought up, the channels are in groups of eight. I'd hate to lose a 1/3 of my desk for one bad channel.

- jon
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cymatics
A local dealer had an Audient desk in the showroom. I didn't have a chance to listen to anything through it, but the knobs all felt like loose teeth. In addition, as Drumsound brought up, the channels are in groups of eight. I'd hate to lose a 1/3 of my desk for one bad channel.

- jon
Actually, they are in groups of 12!

There is good and bad about this...the bad you already covered, the good is:
> Much less harnesses/connectors and the chance for bad contacts, oxidation, etc.
> Shorter signal path
> Cheaper to build (this is not always bad...as they can put $$ in better places than a more expensive design of a modular board).

I talked to David Dearden @ AES, a real gentleman. One of the problems regarding opinions is that there are not that many of these boards here in the U.S....Maybe a handful. There are many more in Europe. This board is built in England and from what I'm told, just about all the outsourcing was kept within England/Europe. Not than I'm implying this is a "British" as in "sounding" board.

The knobs do feel cheap...the board looks great but it certainly has some trim that lacks that well machined feel and look. From what I heard, this board will give a clean un-hyped sound. If you want color, you will have to add w/outboard. Although a clean/clear and smooth sound can be very colorful too!

It does have some real pro aspects:
--FULLY Balanced in/out. Even the inserts (Separate TRS jacks for the send and return).
--Insert in/out switches on the channel strips
--24 buss.
--Fader automation is pretty cheap (for an analog board). Something like $10k for 36 faders.
--IT’s BIG. Looks very impressive.

You should ask about this board on rec.audio.pro and maybe some other forums as there are so few of them out there.

Actually, do a search on the musicplayer forum. See if this link works for you:

http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=search_tng;d=results;record=2452692-021527-HT7K

Also, I remember a few other guys that had some good experiences regarding the audient on the www.recording.org pro talk forum last year. I'm not sure about accessing this forum anymore as I have never really went back there after the big shakedown last year. Not sure if you can do a search without registering or paying??

Hope this helps.

Fleaman
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

I want to add that while Neoteks and Tridents are in that price range, you will have to give up some (many?) features and possibly some reliability. Here in the U.S., the last I heard was you could get a 36 ch Audient for about $24k (not automated of course).

Fleaman
Old 21st February 2003
Gear Maniac

Audient

1rst off: my opinion might be a bit biased (?), because I sell the damn things, but here goes:

- The knobs feel more cheap than they are. Beneath the faceplate there is another layer of metal to which the pots are connected. And the knobs and faders are really smooth. Faders are ALPS K-series I believe.

- You can open the bottom like on a DDA and take out a fader for service.

- They do sound great.

- On board stereo buss compressor

- Patchbay on board as option, as well as (MF) automation

- EDAC on multitrack i/o also available

All I'm saying is, check them out before writing them off because of the way the knobs feel.

Dig.
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

Ooops, that musicgearnetwork link didn't work. You will have to go to their search page http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/cgi-...cgi?ubb=search And type in "Audient".

Fleaman
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear
Thanks for all the comments. I'm waiting to hear from Audient to arrange some time in a studio with an 8024. I reckon I can live with the lack of modular channels. I have a small DDA QMR 12 for the last 10 years and have found it very reliable. Only big job was fader replacement and all eq in/out buttons.
I would like to get some info on Neotek but their site has not been working for over a week now. Does'nt say a lot for a company!
I'll let you know how everything works out.

DW
Old 27th February 2003
rll
Gear Maniac

We just installed a brand new Neotek Elan, and oh my gosh are we ever happy. Mike Stoica, who bought out Martin Sound, and brought Neotek back to Chicago put the board together did a fantastic job. We've only had it several days, but went over it with a fine tooth comb and found the specs to be everything they were cracked up to be, and the sound is just plain wonderful. We took a long look at the Audient, and while it may be a very good board, the Neotek is defintely worth checking into. To say we're psyched doesn't even begin to tell the story. As far as their web site is concerned, I know they've been very busy, but i was told they'll have an update very soon.

rll
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

My 0,00002 euros

Neotek is way cool. The micpre is plain wonderful and the eq is one of the best of its kind. The routing isn't very clear and the headroom is sometimes a problem if you like to drive it hard (it's not a british desk - All this is from my experience with an Neotek Elite II, but I heard the Elan is quite similar.

I didn't buy one because of the uncertainty of support 2 years ago and it's been more expensive than my actual desk. I bought a D&R Orion wiht VCA auto and built in patchbay fully modular...
The best desk for me at this time. It's not as big as the Neotek so it fits better into the room and it doesn't color the sound like a Neotek. It's really a clean desk with a powerful eq. The headroom is more than enough for me. And the best of all you get support in Switzerland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out their website it has lots of info. You can buy spare parts from consols from 15 years agoyuktyy .
D&R desks are probably the most underrated desks in Europe. You see I really love it and I don't work for the company

Good luck Jo
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Guru

If the Neotek site is down just give Mike Stoika a call. He was really helpful to me when I was buying a used console. And for tech support John has been very helpful. He helped me figure out a small problem. He spent about a half hour on the phone with me. I have not spent a dime with the Neotek company as of yet. I bought used and they have still been very helpful.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear
Thanks Tony, I have been in touch with Mike and he is sending me some info - but honestly, I am dubious about dealing with a company that do not have a European dealer. Not only that, they will not even be at AES. Now I know analog console manufacturers are going through a very difficult time, but still, it seems like bad company policy not to even share a stand at AES. :eek:
I am not going to rush the purchase decision as I'm still trying to get the control room dimensions right.
Thanks to Jon for the D&R thumbs up. I will not scratch them off my list yet.

Thanks,

DW
Old 3rd March 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Beech
Thanks Tony, I have been in touch with Mike and he is sending me some info - but honestly, I am dubious about dealing with a company that do not have a European dealer. Not only that, they will not even be at AES. Now I know analog console manufacturers are going through a very difficult time, but still, it seems like bad company policy not to even share a stand at AES. :eek:
I am not going to rush the purchase decision as I'm still trying to get the control room dimensions right.
Thanks to Jon for the D&R thumbs up. I will not scratch them off my list yet.

Thanks,

DW
Also look at an Amek Media 51(28 channel for that price).

Better pre's and EQ's than the Audient and D&R.

Supertrue Auto(popular automation package that everyone knows).

It stores scenes and snapshots of EQ settings and auxes.

Sounds pretty good.

Peace.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

how does an analog desk looks like ? heh
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

It doesn't look like it sounds
Old 4th March 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by andre tchmil
how does an analog desk looks like ? heh
Huh? Wanna try that one again?
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

hey man
"how does a 2 inch looks like" was not my idea

LOL
Old 10th March 2003
Gear Head

The Audient is a good console and all this about servicing the Neotek is nice and Mike is a good guy, but don't forget in the US the Audient is imported and supported by API. So building your studio around a NEW reliable desk with decent support is pretty important in my opinion.

Lee
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear
Thanks for your comments folks. Since I'm in Europe I'm leaning towards the Audient. I'll see it first-hand at AES Amsterdam.
Neotek will not have a stand there so I guess they are tutt in Europe. Amek seem to have scaled operations down to a small office so there's nobody apart from D&R to compete with Audient in that pricerange. I guess maybe the some analogue console manufacturers are on their last legs. They simply cannot compete with the Yamahas / Sonys etc. What a pity.

DW
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear