The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lexicon Core-32 Audio system
Old 10th March 2005
Lives for gear

Lexicon Core-32 Audio system

A freind of mine has asked me about this system as someone gave it to him and he knows nothing about it. I myself have never heard of this so I thought I would ask here if any of you know what quality this lexicon core-32 system is, and if it's worth it for him to use it or pass on it. I had no idea lexicon did a desktop audio system.
Old 11th March 2005
Lives for gear

Here's the short answer

If it's got the PCM-90 daughter card then it's a good standalone reverb unit. If it doesn't, it's garbage. The drivers suck and they're for win98 only. If you're on a budget, you can pick one of these up with the daughter board for around $300. Recycle a win98SE computer and use it's digital in's and outs like you would a digital rackmount processor. It's got "roughly" the power of 2 PCM-90's(without the plate algorithms) Very nice sounding. Lexicon has a habit of creating items that spec out great, but they write crappy software and abandon their computer products very quickly.

RME, Fronteir Designs, and Soundscape all support their computer hardware very well. I wish other companies would as well.
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl
A freind of mine has asked me about this system as someone gave it to him and he knows nothing about it. I myself have never heard of this so I thought I would ask here if any of you know what quality this lexicon core-32 system is, and if it's worth it for him to use it or pass on it. I had no idea lexicon did a desktop audio system.
Old 11th March 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Dan! Great info. I'll pass that on
Old 11th March 2005
Lives for gear

I have 2 friends that use those cards exactly as described above... keep a spare crappy machine around running W98 - just to use the verbs (which are great)
"-)
Old 11th March 2005
Lives for gear

Ok, I just asked him and he says yes, it's got the daughter PCM daughter card. Maybe I should "take it off his hands" then? heh

Do I really need another verb....hmm
Old 11th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl
Do I really need another verb....hmm
HEY! You're on gearslut!
Old 12th March 2005
Lives for gear

If you're seriously interested, I've actually got one of these (with the PCM90 board) sitting idly by in my old beige G3.

Haven't been able to decide if I should ebay it or turn it into an outboard verb. But since I've got Altiverb, Space Designer, UAD's Plate and a KSP8... well, I don't think I need that much verb just yet.

The worst part is that I originally bought the Core32 system to use with Logic Audio - but Lexicon never wrote drivers to support the effects on Logic. Just Cubase... So for five years or so I used that dang board every day for straight audio i/o, and NEVER even used the damn verbs. Probably the worst hardware purchase I've made, in terms of value. I can't bring myself to quote the original price.

All that said, it's always worked just fine for me and since I'm kinda' in your neck of the woods GPI, be sure to let me know if you're at all interested in taking it off my hands.

cheers! heh
Old 12th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz
If you're seriously interested, I've actually got one of these (with the PCM90 board) sitting idly by in my old beige G3.

Haven't been able to decide if I should ebay it or turn it into an outboard verb. But since I've got Altiverb, Space Designer, UAD's Plate and a KSP8... well, I don't think I need that much verb just yet.

The worst part is that I originally bought the Core32 system to use with Logic Audio - but Lexicon never wrote drivers to support the effects on Logic. Just Cubase... So for five years or so I used that dang board every day for straight audio i/o, and NEVER even used the damn verbs. Probably the worst hardware purchase I've made, in terms of value. I can't bring myself to quote the original price.

All that said, it's always worked just fine for me and since I'm kinda' in your neck of the woods GPI, be sure to let me know if you're at all interested in taking it off my hands.

cheers! heh
Thanks for the offer TimToonz, but I wasn't actually looking for one, I know someone that has one that's been sitting in his closet for 3/4 years and was wondering what it was worth or if I knew anyone that would want it. Personally, I had never heard of Lexicon doing a system like that and it bears mentioning they should never try again! I think he wants to give it away! He told me what it originally cost, man what a bunch of BS! I wish that on no one. I also have enough reverbs to keep me happy anyways.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search