The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Theoretical question re: digitally controlled analog (ie Distressor) Equalisers (HW)
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Theoretical question re: digitally controlled analog (ie Distressor)

Hi all,

Was using the Distressor on a guitar today and was considering how useful it would be to use in a guitar switching system.
Then I thought "Wouldn't it be helpful if the Distressor had memory locations that would respond to midi patch change messages?"

Am I correct in thinking that because the distressor is "digitally controlled analog" that it would be technically possible to have this?
I wonder if anyone suggested it to Dave Derr and co?
Old 15th August 2008
going by how little the midi program changes or even patch storage is used in most studios(by far the biggest market for the distressor) I can't imagine it would be a financially viable feature - most people simply don't need it. It takes about 10sec to reset a distressor from a recall sheet or photo. It's not exactly like reprogramming a synth patch...
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

As I said, it was a theoretical question.
I'd be curious if SSL XLogic rack owners use patch recall then.

JR
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

hope its all pitch bend messages, wouldn't want my presets stored with 0-127 integers

midi is grossly out of date. and something tells me that midi 2.0 wont help that much
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

the better thing to do would be to open the system up so that you could just have a soft analog compressor

(plugins for different algorithms)
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post

Am I correct in thinking that because the distressor is "digitally controlled analog" that it would be technically possible to have this?
I wonder if anyone suggested it to Dave Derr and co?
I've allways wondered about this too. I'm more interested in this for eq's since I do automation on them often. I know off the Summit but since the Great River is digital controlled wouldn't this be possible too? GML gear maybe?

Or with compressors or coloration gear just for auto recallibillity... on the Fatso for instance?

Should be possible I think.
Old 20th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
As I said, it was a theoretical question.
I'd be curious if SSL XLogic rack owners use patch recall then.

JR
its a bit different when you get into many identical console channels - I wouldn't want to manually recall an SSL console! But I've just done a recall for a major uk band, with lots of outboard - and pen and recall sheets works fine for me.

The idea of eq or compression presets is a bit irrelevant though - settings will alwya depend on the source, much more so than a reverb patch.

I can see the point of automatable eq. You can already automate compression threshold by riding within software.

Ultimately though, I think this is the sort of thing that won't be important to most people, who if they really need to automate an eq or compressor will do it in software, or will do it manually, and print the results.

Don't know which gml gear is being referred to, but anyone who's ever used an 8200 will definitely agree its analogue controlled analogue! And estatematt - what on earthare you talking about?! If something has selectable algorithms involves digital processing!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search