The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So, tell us about your rooms
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

So, tell us about your rooms

I am interested in what kinds of rooms that you all are recording and mixing in. If you all listed the dimensions, materials, quirks, and other sundries about your music making spaces I think we'd all learn something. So who'll bite?
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

ok, i'll go first...

My studio is in a rebuilt ( too much work for it to be refinished) garage/barn building.. the control room is approx 16 x 20, i have it set up along a short wall that had the glass into the cutting room. this end is foam city courtest of auralex, the far wall that has the couch and fridge ( yep, no lounge, just like gearslutz!) has a couple bass traps and some diffusers on the rear wall.. the cieling is only 8' tall, so ther is some selective treatment over the mix position as well. I suspect I have too much auralex up at times, but I am comfortable with how my mixes translate, so it cant be all wrong!

The room is equipped with a Sony DMX, Genelec 1031s, a PT Mix3 system, 6 DA-78s, some outboard FX and a pathetic lack of outboard analog. only 2 Voxbox and an AMEK CIB call this place home, I do have a friend I do a bunch of renting from though.... ( time for the folks in accounting to up the budget around here... )
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

how 'bout some Pictures to go with these descriptions?
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

this is the only pic I have handy..
Attached Thumbnails
So, tell us about your rooms-control-room-1.jpg  
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Guru

My live room is not huge, but it has vaulted celings that peak at 14 feet. I have three ico areas, an actual voacl booth, the bathroom and the hall between the two. The control room is a bit smaller than I'd like, about 9 x 20'. I have the console (Neotek Elan) facing the short wall. The tape machines (3M 24-track tascam 2-track) are on my left as is the window to the live room. The racks are on the right and have some cool stuff. VoxBox, Drawmer '69 Great River MP2, M3000, PCM 80, PCM 41 and other stuff too.
Old 19th February 2003
One with big hooves

Steve, that's a nice looking room. What material is the floor?

My "live" room is about 11x25x8 and the control room is about 12x13x7. It's actually a bit bigger and goes right into the lounge. Pictures are on the website. The control room looks a bit different now because I've moved some stuff around. I still need to take new pics of it at some point but it's very very low on the list of things that need to get done.
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

Thnaks Jay.

The floor is Pergo laminate flooring ( I think the Home Despot sells it) IIRC Michael Magner has the same floor at Wireworld, and we both have lots of static electricity ( I think it was he who had the static issue) I have no real proof that it is the floor, but that may be worth trying to figure out.... The good news is that it installs easy, is super tough, and looks good. It def does ot sound like wood though!
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

I built my studio into my garage when I moved in about a year ago. I left in the retractable door. One day, I'm going to get it sealed with brick and have it meet code for an actual room.

Anyways, the walls are cinder block with brick backing. Two sides are surrounded by earth. The house came with a metal door for the garage and me and my friend who helped me build the room took it off the hinges and filled it with 200 pounds of sand. It's denser than the wall and has a better STC!!!

We built some membrane absorbers for different frequencies and mounted them around the console spot. Not ideal, but the room sounds fine. BTW, THANKS ETHAN WINER (sp?) for the designs!

We also made some diffusors out of Owings Corning Foam Board. We cut em up to different depths kinda like different sized sharks teeth spray painted them (made the foam crispy and diffuses HF even more), and mounted them on the ceiling.

I ate my ramen (seriously) and now have a bunch of gear. Joy! Trakkers, Distressors, Massivo, GML 8200, 8304, UA610-2, Flamingo, RNC, Lucid 8824, Mytek AD96, Argosy desk, Audio Accessories patchbays (I LOVE MY AA PATCHBAYS), Shure 57/58, neumann um57 w/ SPA mod, akg c12 vintage w/ SPA mod, DBX 120-xds.

I use Logic 5 with a lot of plugins. The only good VST plugs anyways are absynth, altiverb, amplitube, pluggo, waves. I'll consider PT if I can save up the FIFTEEN FUCKING THOUSAND DOLLARS but I think my money would be much better spent on a Eventide 7500, a POD, distortion pedals, and some other outboard FX. Fuck plugins!

This room is for me and for me only. Occasionally I'll do some stuff for or with other people- engineering or tracking, but it's all for me. I'm a musician and I know I'm sort of taking business away from other forum members, but I've spent as much on my room in dollars, energy, thought, and bloody tears as many studio owners have. The only thing that makes it feel unprofessional for me right now is a bloody ground loop I have somewhere. I need to ground my equitech to a seperate rod.

I'll try to post a photo or two.

Gday
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

I built my place pretty simply. It's a 25' x 50' concrete slab with 4 block walls, 10' high on one of the long dimensions and 14' high on the other. I filled all the block with sand and there's just one steel door in the 10' high wall, no windows. I built a small vestibule inside the doorway to further isolate it, which opens onto a long hallway running the length of the short wall. The main HVAC supply runs overhead for the length of the hall, as we were trying to make the lowest point of the ceiling the only "wasted" space in the studio.
The control room is at the end of the hall and is side loaded, so that the tracking room is through a window on the left wall. It's 17' deep and wedge-shaped, so that it narrows from 15' wide at the rear to 10' wide at the console arm rest. The ceiling rises from 10' at the front to 12.5' at the rear. The front wall is deadened with fiberglass behind burlap, and broken into 5 angled segments, with the middle two at 30 degrees for the speaker soffits.
The slab was cut at the same angle as the control room's left wall to isolate the tracking room's floor from it. There's a small machine room in the hallway that houses the Macs, amps, and console power supplies.
Attached Thumbnails
So, tell us about your rooms-cr.jpg  
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

The tracking room is 19' wide and 35' long, with the ceiling rising from 10' to 12.5' across the short dimension. The tall wall is still exposed block, while the low wall is faced in fiberglass with removable reflective panels.
Attached Thumbnails
So, tell us about your rooms-tr.jpg  
Old 20th February 2003
Gear Addict

Damn you Subspace... you and your spacious live room!!!

Seriously, I'm green with envy, my drum room is more of a glorified iso booth (10x12x8).

My CR is 20x11x8.5. The ceiling is drop tile with 1&1/2inch compressed fiberglass tiles. The corners are treated with the John Risch diy tube traps. The early reflection zones are treated with panels I made from a frame of 2x4 on edge with R11 inside, and covered with polyester batting and wrapped in burlap.

My iso rooms are the aforemetioned drum room and an 'amp room' (also 10x12x8). Both of these rooms have the same drop tile ceiling as the CR and the similar acoustic treatments. The amp room has 3 iso boxes: two for 4x12s and one big enough for an 8x10. These boxes are 1/2" plywood panels with 6" of insulation board. They are sufficient to muffle a 'stage volume' half stack to conversation level.

I have a D&R Dayner and 24 tracks of ADAT xt with an Apogee AD16 as a front end. I have some decent outboard and an adequate mic locker. Neither collection is all that sexy or extensive, but it's what I need to do the job.

If I get around to straightening up, I'll add some pics.
Old 20th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
I The only thing that makes it feel unprofessional for me right now is a bloody ground loop I have somewhere. I need to ground my equitech to a seperate rod.

Gday
you have a ground loop and you are using an equitech? is everything plugged into it? I have one and there is zero noise from the electricity.. ( not trying to gloat) are you sure it is not a rack based problem that is corrupting your audio and ac grounding?
Old 21st February 2003
Gear Head

My studio's name is Fat Cat Recording. My live room is 32 x 23 x10, my control room is 27 x 21 x10, and I also have a guitar room that's 16 x 11.5 and a vocal booth that's 9 x 11.5. Check some pics at fatcatrecording.com
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear