The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tall Stack of Auralex Max Wall As Gobo -- Opinons? Dynamics Plugins
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear
Tall Stack of Auralex Max Wall As Gobo -- Opinons?

Does anyone (everyone?) have an opinion on whether a tall stack, i.e., 4 units or 80inches, of Auralex Max Wall foam blocks would make a decent gobo? My purpose is to cut down on bleed between a softly-played drumkit and a fairly loud clarinet in a 12 x 15 room. The clarinetist will be in a corner, facing towards the middle of the shorter wall, and my plan is to put the Max Wall, or a tall wall of blankets, in between the clarinet and the drums.

I'll be using ribbons and a figure 8 mic and aiming the nulls at the other sound source, but I'm hoping to maximize acoustic separation as well.

I've seen a comment that blankets on a mic stand are as good/better than Max Wall. That seems a bit hard to accept, but if anyone cares to chime in on this, I'd be eager to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 13th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

(to the tune of George Harrison's "Got My Mind Set on You")

And it's going to some some mass
A whole lot more mass
It's going to take another approach
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it
To do it RIGHT

War

PS: This really is a job for a booth, enclosed...if you can do it...otherwise go the blanket route and use that bleed...use it for all its bloody goodness...
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear
So--you're saying:

(to the tune of ""We Ain't Gonna Take It"):

Max Wall's not gonna do it
And Blankets ain't gonna do it
Neither a' those're gonna do it
So what will?
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

If you're using a cardioid mic on the clarinet, then I would turn the performer around, facing the drums, and have her play into the gobo. You could put a piece of plywood or something heavy on the drum side of the Auralex to also cut down on bleed, and then put absorption on the wall behind the clarinet to cut down on reflections from the drums.

This setup would still allow the performers to see each other. If all else fails, move one to another room or track them separately. Sometimes bleed is a good thing... the only real way to find the best answer is to experiment.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear
My plan is to use ribbons and aim the nulls at the other source, which means that the performers will be at right angles to each other.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Ahh... good point. All you can do is put something heavy and big in between the two players.

"All you need is mass..."
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear
Big & heavy . . . that implies that unless there's a pretty good sealed partition between the two, nothing's going to make more than a modest difference. Right?
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear
I've tried, and the Maxwalls do slightly more than nothing for bleed between two sources. I ended up building gobos using wood frames and panels covered with mass loaded vinyl left over from my iso room construction. As mentioned, you need mass, mass, mass.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshaw View Post
Does anyone (everyone?) have an opinion on whether a tall stack, i.e., 4 units or 80inches, of Auralex Max Wall foam blocks would make a decent gobo? My purpose is to cut down on bleed between a softly-played drumkit and a fairly loud clarinet in a 12 x 15 room. The clarinetist will be in a corner, facing towards the middle of the shorter wall, and my plan is to put the Max Wall, or a tall wall of blankets, in between the clarinet and the drums.

I'll be using ribbons and a figure 8 mic and aiming the nulls at the other sound source, but I'm hoping to maximize acoustic separation as well.

I've seen a comment that blankets on a mic stand are as good/better than Max Wall. That seems a bit hard to accept, but if anyone cares to chime in on this, I'd be eager to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
I use a Maxx Wall as a "vocal booth" in my live tracking room.
Works well for me.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I use a Maxx Wall as a "vocal booth" in my live tracking room.
Works well for me.
I assume that means you've got it set up as an iso booth? In my situation the foam would just be a tall gobo, i.e., there'd be open space on either side, but line-of-sight between the mics and the other sound source would be blocked.
Old 13th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
So--you're saying:

(to the tune of ""We Ain't Gonna Take It"):

Max Wall's not gonna do it
And Blankets ain't gonna do it
Neither a' those're gonna do it
So what will?
Well, let me respond to the tune of "Everybody Hurts" by REM:

Blankets they will wooooooooooooooooooooork
It won't be a lot of dooooooooooooooooooooough
If you utilize them riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
You can accomplish the same goooooooooooooooal

You could build a boooooooooooooooooooooooth
For maximum isolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaation
But if you can't buiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild
Blankets help this occaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasion

Also try a figure eiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Off axis rejection is really greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Blankets behind the artist hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllps
The recording could be first raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

War
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Well, let me respond to the tune of "Everybody Hurts" by REM:

Blankets they will wooooooooooooooooooooork
It won't be a lot of dooooooooooooooooooooough
If you utilize them riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
You can accomplish the same goooooooooooooooal

You could build a boooooooooooooooooooooooth
For maximum isolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaation
But if you can't buiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild
Blankets help this occaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasion

Also try a figure eiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Off axis rejection is really greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Blankets behind the artist hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllps
The recording could be first raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

War

Wow! What else is there to say but ?!?!?
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I assume that means you've got it set up as an iso booth? In my situation the foam would just be a tall gobo, i.e., there'd be open space on either side, but line-of-sight between the mics and the other sound source would be blocked.
I only use it during vocal overdubs to minimize room reflection, and not during music recording.
I have the "booth" against the back wall and the singer(s) can enter by moving the side gobo.
Old 13th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I only use it during vocal overdubs to minimize room reflection, and not during music recording.
Sung to the tune of Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like A Lady"

I like it like it like it like that

(this is where I find foam walls helpful)

War
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear
To you blanket advocates--

Do you mean special acoustic blankets, or packing blankets, or the blankets you put on the bed?
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

The MaxxWalls only really work when they're joined together as an iso booth, but even then, not so well. I currently have (3) 3-high walls behind my monitors and computer monitor to help with reflections off the front wall; the other 3-high wall is set up behind my vocal mic, kinda like a ginormous reflection filter. Do the MaxxWalls go 4-high? Is there an extender? I don't know how well that would stand up, even with Auralex CornerFill Cubes under the ends (I've done that a couple times, when the clamp wouldn't hold them up.)

Like everyone else said, you need mass to accomplish the separation you're after. Maybe as another moderately priced alternative, you could snag a bunch of rolls of insulation (leave them wrapped in their plastic), stack them up, and cover them with blankets/acoustical blankets. That would probably do more for you, and cost you less than the MaxxWalls.

Stu
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search