The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee AD/DA 16x Vs. Radar converters Digital Converters
Old 3rd March 2005
Gear Addict

Apogee AD/DA 16x Vs. Radar converters

Well it seems that the radar converters are pretty high up there on the list for quality. How do the new Apogee AD/DA16x converters compare?
Old 7th May 2005
Lives for gear
bump
Old 2nd July 2005
anybody used both? Very interested.
Old 2nd July 2005
Lives for gear

I prefer the sound of the RADAR Nyquist converters, but I've never been a huge Apogee fan. I'm sure there's somebody who feels differently.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear
i'm wondering which way to go myself for PT ADDA. no more opinions?
Old 15th March 2006
Gear Maniac

I have only compared the Radar with a Rosetta , not the new stuff. This was 3 years ago so I was a bit less experienced at that point but , what I remember clearly was that it wasnt even close. The Radar just sounded better to me.

You know whats kinda funny , the Nyquist converters have been around what .. 5-6 years now? And are still compared in sound to the best technology in converters today. Hell , the classic converters have been around a LONG time now and they are still widely accepted as a standard in pro studios.
probably the best decision I have made in my studio was buying into a Radar Nyquist 3 years ago.
Old 16th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormkloud
I have only compared the Radar with a Rosetta , not the new stuff. This was 3 years ago so I was a bit less experienced at that point but , what I remember clearly was that it wasnt even close. The Radar just sounded better to me.
I know you know this but... the AD-DA16-X stuff is much different than the Rosetta. I could just be trying to justify my purchase but I am pretty happy with the AD-DA-16-X combo that I have.

On the other hand I know that the Radar converters are killer, never tried them side by side but I would have to guess that the Radar might come out ahead there. What do I know.....
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear
thanks not so new. 16x would be cheaper and more hassle free for PT, but if the RADAR converters are all that much better i'd do it. just wondering if anyone here has heard them side by side, clocked to both radar and 16X, and what the verdict is.
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear
I haven't compared the two, but as an AD16X owner (and former Lavry Blue owner) I'd have to say you're nuts if you think that any other converter could make more than a 0.02% difference. The Apogee is VERY nice!
Old 16th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
, clocked to both radar and 16X, and what the verdict is.
Well , from what I can tell , one of the great things about the Radar is the clock. I have a Motu 1296 that I use along with my Radar for the extra D/A's and its a huge difference between clocking it from the Radar than with using its internal clock. I think If you used the Radar clock with the 16X you might find that it will sound alot more similar. Dunno because I didnt use the Radar clock on any of my tests a few years ago just internal clocks on each unit.
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear
so... no one's tried radar and 16X side by side? i'd only get radar if it sounds better than 16X. don't need a stand alone recorder. thanks.
Old 17th March 2006
TER
Gear Maniac

When your computer decides to end your session early the RADAR will save your ass. That's worth something, too.

-tom
Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormkloud
Well , from what I can tell , one of the great things about the Radar is the clock.
I'm convinced of this, as well. The converters are only one part of the equation. I would also assume iZ is well aware of this, and could quite possibly be the real reason they refuse to sell outboard versions of their converters.

Pure speculation.
Old 17th March 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

What just happened to the radar nyquist that was on ebay? Raal was the high bidder, but now it's gone without a trace..

Old 17th March 2006
Lives for gear
got this from ebay:

'Our records show that you bid on this listing. We have removed the listing from eBay because it violated eBay policy. You are not required to complete the transaction. The seller is free to relist the item in accordance with eBay's online policies. If the seller relists the item, you are free to bid on that item.'

weird.

so to be on topic... nobody's A/B'd 16x to radar? i can't believe not one person has posted!
Old 17th March 2006
theother
The Apogee AD/DA-16X beats everything I ever heard, even the HEDD 192 with the new converters IMO.

I never tried the Radar converters so I can't be very helpful here. Everyone says the Radar's are good but that has usualy been said before the Apogee's came out.

The end of the day I guess it's also a matter of taste....like not everyone likes GP9 tape better.
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear
bump. come on... someone must've heard radar nyquist next to 16X!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search