The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
biggest "pet peeve" in the studio Modular Synthesizers
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

biggest "pet peeve" in the studio

why are so many guitar players to LAZY to cut the ends of there strings off!!! it's bad enough you have to remind them to change there strings...
Old 10th August 2008
I have a string-related one as well.

I hate when you ask a guitarist/bassist if their strings are fresh and they say "Oh yeah man, I just changed them like two shows ago."

Or (semi-related) : "Don't worry man, I had the guitar set up before our last tour."

Oi.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Nut

Vocalists chewing gum and/or wearing lots of jangly jewelry.
Old 10th August 2008
1. I like the look of uncut strings, it looks like rock & roll

2. I had a guy this past week in the studio that when i asked "are your strings pretty fresh on your guitar?" he responded with, "Oh yeah man, I just changed them like, this past month." i knew right away it was going to be an interesting week.

as far as my biggest pet peeve in the studio, i guess it would have to be the phrase, "are you going to be able to fix that later?". so i started answering by saying, "i'll be able to make it sound like you."
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

clients picking their noses then turning the knobs
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Addict

It drives me crazy when I'm comping a take in front of the musician who just played it, and they they make approving/disapproving noises when watching where I cut, copy and paste. Hard to explain, but it drives me crazy.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Why do I get the feeling that this thread belongs in the "Moan Zone"?

But now that I chimed in, because we work in close quarters here in my cave, I would have to say that bad breath makes for a long night.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Where I live, English isn't the native language.
But what really makes me cringe is singers who want to sing in the original rock 'n roll language but can't be bothered to rewrite their lyrics in proper english.
I don't mind accents (heck, there must be about 2 dozen different accents each in the U.K. and the U.S.), but when they make up lyrics in german/french/whatever, and then translate them word for word...brrrrrrrr
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Nut

QUIT POINTING AT THE TRANSIENTS AND TOUCHING THE MONITOR SCREENS !!!!!!tutt I HATE THAT !!!!
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Mobile phones. Can I friggin' get your attention, diva?
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Cup of coffee sitting on gear

The guy who says "Don't worry about it," WILL be the guy who knocks it over!

NOT ALLOWED! Not my gear. Not even their gear! Not here. (And I'm 100% private studio... STILL happens)

-andrews
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well before session I tell em to set up there instruments get new heads etc and they show up with a lame excuse for why they didnt do it.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Addict

drummer who wants the best sounds but dose not have his drum tuned or have bottoms on them.

Just plays then tells me to sound replace everything! fuuck
Old 10th August 2008
CKK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracktension View Post
QUIT POINTING AT THE TRANSIENTS AND TOUCHING THE MONITOR SCREENS !!!!!!tutt I HATE THAT !!!!
Oooohhh yes, that gets to me too. I just hate when they put their little urin-yellow fingers on my screen.

Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

"You can just fix that later though..."

I'll decide what can be fixed later. I think I'll adopt the "I can make it sound like you" statement.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Perfume that you can taste in your throat from ten feet away -hell guys are the worst there.

Staying for the 'mix' but end up talking away as if it's not their asses riding in the outcome.

Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

Staying for the 'mix' but end up talking away as if it's not their asses riding in the outcome.

That's my biggest peeve also.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

body odor and clients that stay for the whole time I mix. i started charging more for attended sessions because they always take longer and the client loses their perspective by the end and usually wants to recall.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

girlfriends/boyfriends and wives/husbands - followed closely by bored band crews who have nothing to do for 8 hours but can't leave,
Old 10th August 2008
different story.. but still...

One session when recording lead vocals, some strange sound started between phrase and words.. some thing like hummm, jumm and slurp.. I stopped recording and asked the vocalist what the hell that was.. and he didn´t know what I was talking about.. I replayed the track for him and put the vocals on solo.. and then he says "ohh that.. I´m eating candy"..
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

"Helpful" musicians who wrap MY cables using the "around the thumb, under the elbow" method. Also- the same ones who wind coiled headphone cords as tightly as possible around the headphones in an attempt to help tidy.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear
Client coming in for the 'final' mix (no mics setup), and not having listened to the last mix for 4 months.... then wants to fix just that one word in the lead vocal "Oh, then let's just re-record the whole lead vocal". AAAAAHH!
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Addict

Touching my computer monitors Not cool!!
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

I can't stand it when I am recording or mixing and the band/other important people, are talking and not paying attention, and then I look over and ask, "what did you guys think" and they say "play it one more time." Drives me crazy, and wastes time.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumkideric View Post
I can't stand it when I am recording or mixing and the band/other important people, are talking and not paying attention, and then I look over and ask, "what did you guys think" and they say "play it one more time." Drives me crazy, and wastes time.

i hear ya brother
Old 11th August 2008
"Sure dude, I won't drop your headphones..."
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Guru

Not as bad at it use to be, but band members talking out loud about yada yada yada whatever while im trying to mix their stuff, and then come back and have the nerve to say we wanna mix again because the ******* were not just right etc etc. I wonder why ?

And my biggest mistake was letting clients smoke in the main room/drum room many years ago, well i stopped that about 10 years ago, i would come out of the control room and all i could see was smoke...
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

the person(s) who have nothing to do with the session who are there
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic View Post
Touching my computer monitors Not cool!!
God I hate that..And also like above, when they wrap a pair of coiled wire cans as tight as possible around the cans...Ugghhhh I hate those monitor touchers...and when you tell them not to touch it...2 min. later they do it again...worse than my kids
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Asking a bunch of question on how they can make their home recording sound better. "So, I have a 'INSERT CRAP MIC HERE' mic and an mbox mini and I just can't seem to get my vocals sounding right. Should I buy the music production toolkit to make it sound better?"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search