The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
recommended tom mics? Condenser Microphones
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

recommended tom mics?

I'm looking for some decent tom mics and I'm considering the senn e-609. what are your favorite mics for toms? it's just for rack and floor.

thanks

Old 14th February 2003
99 times out of a 100.
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
99 times out of a 100.
I love the 421 sound, but what I've heard that the e-609 is an improvement on it. have you ever had a chance to a/b them?

what's a good price on a 421?

thanks
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

421, and the 414 EB's (these sound great, but expect lots of bleed which is good or bad depending on a lot of factors, but remember EB's) for moi'.
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

I like the 421 for the low end.

I like the 441 particularly when micing two toms with about 10-20cm distance.

Some times I like a C1000 with polarpattern adapter which is very detailed and it brings out the nice attack at 3-5kHz. It's realy worth a try!!!

Some one told my he like Sony C37 (the one that looks like a russian shaver) on toms.

(Maybe some C414 would work, just like sm57 will do.)
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

609's work great! And are half the price of 421's, but I do tend to love the 421, big, ugly, brute, with the worst ever stand clip design!

Regards

Roland
Old 14th February 2003
One with big hooves

Rack toms I've been using 421's, 57's or MD504's. On floor tom it varies according to my mood. Usually it's a D112, 414, TLM 103 or maybe an MXL V67G or 421. New 421's are about $300, used are between $150-225 depending on how sacked they are.
Old 15th February 2003
Soundelux U195, TLM103, iFET7.
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Nut

I guess you could use the e-609s for toms...

But, I think you guys might be thinking of Senn's e-604s...

These are sold as clip-on drum mics...

The e-609s are sold for mic'ing GTR amps,etc...

Sometimes implied as a 'successor' to the 409...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...on=search&st=3
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Anyone recognize these toms mics ?

Old 15th February 2003
They look like 67's...got a bigger pic?
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Addict

Apparently I have a gearslut photographic memory. I recognize that picture from the Royer website for Bruce Swedien's drum setup. I believe they are U87's. Different colored xlr cable going to each one...
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Maniac

The photo is on Royer's site, the drummer is Omar Hakim.
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 20to20
I guess you could use the e-609s for toms...

But, I think you guys might be thinking of Senn's e-604s...

These are sold as clip-on drum mics...

The e-609s are sold for mic'ing GTR amps,etc...

Sometimes implied as a 'successor' to the 409...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...on=search&st=3
yeah, the e-609 is sold as guitar cab mic but usually they mention "also for drums, particularly toms". I've used two tlm-103's for rack and floor but I end up cutting so much low and top that I thought it would be nice to get some cheaper mics with a more narrow frequency range, that were designed for close miking toms. I like the 421's on toms, it's a classic sound. I've ordered two e-609s and I'll post how they stand up to other mic options when I get a chance to try em out.
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Nut

Well hey,

The e-604s work well & sound good,
the clip-on thangs eliminate need for stands...

Three-paks for $300...

The e-609s used to sell for $229 ea.,
but are now 'redesigned' and sell for $100...

So basically the 604s & the 609s are priced the same...

Good luck...
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Maniac

TLM 103's on toms keep me happy every time.
Old 15th February 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by 20to20
Well hey,

The e-604s work well & sound good,
the clip-on thangs eliminate need for stands...

....truncated....

So basically the 604s & the 609s are priced the same...
I had nothing but problems with those clips. #1 You can't mount them to a tom with RIMS. #2 On smaller toms (10" or less) it puts the mic right in the middle of the head where it's gonna get hit. I don't care how good the drummer is, it's gonna get smacked. #3 They aren't all that flexible when it comes to positioning. I tossed the clips into a drawer and put them on stands.

Yeah, the 604 and 609 are priced the same but they are totally different mics. I want to grab some 609's to try them on amps and drum kits with cymbals about 3" over the toms.
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

I have achieved very good sound with C2000B´s and C3000B´s on Toms. The floor Tom gets better with the C200B. Try that.
Old 17th February 2003
I have never tried large diaphragm mic on toms... and you know what... I don't think I'll try anytime soon... can you imagine if someone smack a stick on my V67?? I'll probably kill the person and then kill myself later madd
I use Senn 604s on my Tama Rockstar kit... and I do like the sound of the Senns... but one thing is true... get the drums sounding right... use the right heads for the right type of tone the drummer/producer is looking for and tune those damn drums right!!! That alone will save you doesn't matter if you're using a 57 or a 87
Old 17th February 2003
Hey, I just noticed that none of you guys like those clip on small condensers from any brand... what about them? I had good results w/ those Shure models...
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

So he is not a drummer he should be cuting stones
never had a problem of someone damaging a microphone
Old 17th February 2003
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
.... but I do tend to love the 421, big, ugly, brute, with the worst ever stand clip design!

Regards

Roland

(clips) Ain't it the truth?
Old 17th February 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
I have never tried large diaphragm mic on toms... and you know what... I don't think I'll try anytime soon... can you imagine if someone smack a stick on my V67?? I'll probably kill the person and then kill myself later
I'll do it on floor toms. Funny, if someone whacked my V67 I wouldn't care as long as it still worked. Even if it was dead I don't think I'd care too much but it would be on that clients invoice. Now if a U67 took a hit I'd cry and then kill him. But, I wouldn't stick a U67 on a floor tom so it would never happen. Plus I don't own a U67 so it wouldn't be my problem. Well, at least I hope it wouldn't be my problem.
Old 17th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I'll do it on floor toms. Funny, if someone whacked my V67 I wouldn't care as long as it still worked. Even if it was dead I don't think I'd care too much but it would be on that clients invoice.
Well... here in Brazil... working mostly with underground bands... I still prefer not to risk a condenser than have to go after people that don't want to pay for what they broke
Here at my studio, bands that record a full lenght album, pay something like one grand *in american dollars* and a V67 here costs like a 3rd of that... so imagine the headache

Quote:
Now if a U67 took a hit I'd cry and then kill him. But, I wouldn't stick a U67 on a floor tom so it would never happen. Plus I don't own a U67 so it wouldn't be my problem. Well, at least I hope it wouldn't be my problem.
heh
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Jeronimo, what do ya mostly do? Axé? Rock?
What about raising your hour rate man?
Digi 001? PT Mix? Hd?
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

Shure Beta 98's . Sound awesome.
Old 17th February 2003
Dynamics like Sennheiser and Shure are pretty cool if you are worried about the mics being smacked or on a bit of a budget, but if you look at where/what/who is using LD condensers on toms, I think they are preferred on large budget productions where "anything goes". The picture above of the Swedien drum setup with all 87's is a case in point. Ask Fletcher sometime about the JJP story of him using all ELAM's on the toms. That is some **** right there!! I personally think that's total overkill, the TLM103's or Soundelux's will capture that magic just fine IMO (with the right preamp), big & beefy and without that sonic softness that dynamics often produce...the bleed is much nicer with them too IMNSHO.
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

With those ksm-27's out now, I don't hesitate to use ld condensers in abusive places!
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Nut

I recently followed what Chuck Anley used on several songs on Knopfler's latest cd, and tried AT25's on rack toms (and a 441 on the floor tom)... I liked the results..
Old 18th February 2003
urumita

409s worked well on toms, as well as 421s because of the way you could position them, they also worked well on kik.
409s are not made anymore, 609s are a different beast.
SM98s (now Beta 98s) are wonderful mikes, even if they're made by Shure (who have live mic rep). 604s sound like hifi SM57s.
Sometimes I double mic toms, I like to use the same mic for top and bottom, I have 10/ 604s and 5/ Beta 98s and 4 AKG gooseneck jobies for tom and drum double micing. purposes.
SN-2x98, KK-98 stedmanN90, tom 2x406, floor tom-2x RE20

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search