The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
recommended tom mics? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th February 2003
  #31
Gear Maniac
 
RaGe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally posted by Henchman
Shure Beta 98's . Sound awesome.
I believe that's what Dave Weckl uses. Can't complain about his toms sound! (although it has a lot to see with HIS sound).
Old 18th February 2003
  #32
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally posted by buickwilson
I recently followed what Chuck Anley used on several songs on Knopfler's latest cd,...
Hey Buick where did you follow this ?
Old 18th February 2003
  #33
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally posted by RaGe
I believe that's what Dave Weckl uses. Can't complain about his toms sound! (although it has a lot to see with HIS sound).
Live or in the studio ?
Old 18th February 2003
  #34
Lives for gear
 
blackcatdigi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally posted by Henchman
Shure Beta 98's . Sound awesome.
Yup. Got to be careful with the bashers, though. They're not going to take a hit like a 57.

I've had incredible results with some cheap small d. condensors. Shure BG 4.0s sound amazing on toms. But they don't just bleed--they hemorrhage... You can hear the toms' sympathetically resonating in the mix on every kick and snare.
KM184s and even (gasp) MC012s can also work well.
I would imagine even the cheapest chinese mics could work perfectly well in this context, but I've yet to try them out.

Personally, here's one of my favorite drum mic setups...
http://www.spaudio.com/Studio_Album/...bum_Henry.html
Old 18th February 2003
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
RaGe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
Live or in the studio ?
I once watched a DVD tutorial of Dave Weckl where he was explaining, among other things, how he mics his kit. It seemed he was in a studio situation. I remember Shure SM81s as overheads and Beta98s on toms. Now does he REALLY uses those or was it a nice unofficial Shure commercial, I dunno ...

I think I still have that DVD somewhere, I'll watch it again if you need more info.
Old 18th February 2003
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Nutmeg II.'s Avatar
 

Simon Phillips uses Beta98 on toms and side snare.
And bevor that he used sm98.
Old 18th February 2003
  #37
Moderator emeritus
 

Quote:
Originally posted by RaGe
I once watched a DVD tutorial of Dave Weckl where he was explaining, among other things, how he mics his kit. It seemed he was in a studio situation. I remember Shure SM81s as overheads and Beta98s on toms. Now does he REALLY uses those or was it a nice unofficial Shure commercial, I dunno ...
I remember seeing Chick Corea's Acoustic Band on a Public TV special, and Wekl had AKG 414's on all the toms and possibly even the snare - I suspect that sort of thing changes from time to time - after all, I must have seen that show 8 or 10 years ago...
Old 18th February 2003
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Nutmeg II.'s Avatar
 

I would like to have a ****load of 414 (all kinds of) to record drums.
I love them inside the kick, bidirectional, close to the pedal.
Old 18th February 2003
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Alécio Costa's Avatar
 

I really achieve good results with C300)B/C200B and GT 55 on Toms.
Which nice microphone shall provide a crisp snare with no big leakage nightmares?

I hate sm57/beta 57 over the snares

I have achieved a nice result with a cheap c418 over the snare and a Beta 57 to the right side of the same snare
Old 18th February 2003
  #40
Here for the gear
 
Audiochef1's Avatar
 

Drum mics

Love Sm98's. They are small, fit in under cymbals, mounts are tight, stay in position. Mounting arms attach to rim and come in different lengths. Have great transient response and good frequency response. Take high spl and are the lowest profile for video.
Old 18th February 2003
  #41
Gear Addict
 

we do use e609's on toms here - for the money they are OK by me.

Have used 421s and 414's plenty of times - and they are great (but, yes cost more).

I find condensers often pick up too much of the rest of the kit - but it depends on what you are after and what the toms in question sound like.
Old 18th February 2003
  #42
Hey Alécio tudo beleza!??
I record mostly rock bands, that goes from Black Metal to Funk/Rock/Pop
That makes me very happy!!! I hate Axé Music, Pagode, and the similars.
A friend engineer told me to start doing more freelancer jobs on the big studio out here in Salvador but I just hate the idea of working with some music style that I hate... one day, if I really need, of course I'll do it, the most professional way! But now, my tinny studio is going fine, it was booked all December and January, now I'm finishing some projects and as soon as they hit the market, I'll probably be more busy so let's see if I can raise my rates... I have an "utopic" plan for my studio: try to help the scene grow w/ better records made w/ less money and make a living... is that posible?

Ok now back on topic...

I think, large d. mics would be too sensitive in my small very live drum room... I don't know, I'll try my 67 someday...
I just got a 441 that I love on top and bottom snares... I'll try it on toms also...
I have used the 98s on toms and as I said... I liked them a lot... I guess I'll look for some used ones around....
Old 18th February 2003
  #43
Hey Blackcatdigi... what is that on the link you posted?!?!?!

I don't really believe on my eyes...
Old 18th February 2003
  #44
Gear Maniac
 
RaGe's Avatar
 

I confirm Dave Weckl's mic choice (live & studio):
Snare: SM57
Toms: Beta98s
Kick: Beta52
OH (and HH if necessary): SM81s

Says he really digs the Shure mics on this drums, they sound natural, not much EQ needed.
Old 18th February 2003
  #45
Lives for gear
 
blackcatdigi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Hey Blackcatdigi... what is that on the link you posted?!?!?!

I don't really believe on my eyes...
Believe them.

The link goes to the pix section on Stephen Paul's site and shows one of his drum mic setups...

Pretty incredible selection of mics, eh?
Old 18th February 2003
  #46
Gear Nut
 

Tubelover


Chuck was interviewed in EQ mag a few months ago and made reference... Also, Guy Fletcher has a Studio Diary on the web worth looking at to see pics from the sessions



http://www.guyfletcher.co.uk/main.htm
Old 18th February 2003
  #47
Jax
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
Soundelux U195, TLM103, iFET7.
IOW, you better have some cash or work at a pro audio dealership Even good drummers smack mics sometimes. That's a lot of money to put in harm's way.
Old 19th February 2003
  #48
Lives for gear
 
vtone's Avatar
 

I know I wouldn't want to put a mic that's even a little precious to me too close to a rim; that's why I'm looking for decent, less expensive dynamic mics for toms. although having said that I always try out a royer for snare or kick (usually in addition to another mic) and a stereo royer sf-12 on overheads.

I'm looking forward to trying out the senn e-609 and comparing them to other mics I use on toms; atm-25, tlm-103, 412, re20, etc.
Old 20th June 2009
  #49
Here for the gear
 

my top five mics for toms

I am only giving my opinion, cause we know everyone has their own. I am just telling you after having used all these different mics that my favorites in order of preference are:

1. Sennheiser 421(nothing better)thumbsup
2. Audix D series 2's and 4's(I don't care what people say these are just great ballsy mics)
3. Audix I5(a warmer sound than a 57)
4. Good 'ole 57(industry standard)
5. Sennheiser 604s(as long as the drum is tuned right or else refer to #1 below)

Runner ups or downs in my opinion:

1. Sennheiser 609 (the mics can sound good, it just takes way too much time to dial in and if you don't have the correct type of claw to get the mic close enough to the head of the tom you can forget about any body. The upside is they do have excellent attack.)
2.Shure 98s( again too much time to dial in, and god forbid a drummer accidentally hit it. is what the mic would be!! Dead I said!!!!)
3. anything made by CADtutttutttutttutt BOOOOOO!!!!!

I am sure there are better mics out there I have yet to use, but this is my list on what I have experienced myself.

Respond and let me know what you guys think!!

I remember another mic I really loved was the old school AT25 by audio technica, howver they don't make them anymore. now you can get an atm25 by the same, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

Last edited by hearnoevil72; 20th June 2009 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: forgot to add another mic
Old 20th June 2009
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
So he is not a drummer he should be cuting stones
never had a problem of someone damaging a microphone
Don't do much rock, punk, or metal do you? And please don't knock people who cut stones - I cut a fair amount of opal and star ruby when I'm not doing audio........

The e609 is a great tom mic- much better than the 604. I use e604s for snare top but that's about it - and the clip is definitely a problem.

I use MD421s for floor sometimes - it's a toss-up between the 421 and the 609, depends on the drum. My other favorite mic for rack toms is the BeyerDynamic M201N(C). Absolutely great mic - good on hihat as well - and acoustic guitar and sometimes bass viol.

The e609 has the benefit of its thin, flat form factor, which allows sneaking it in under cymbals in large kits where other mics simply won't fit.

The MD409 is actually better than the e609, but good luck finding those for any reasonable price these days.

I have not yet tried the e906 which is similar to the 609 but more expensive......
Old 20th June 2009
  #51
Han
Lives for gear
 

First off: you guys are telling nothing new, this has been discussed hundreds of times in the past six years.
Old 21st June 2009
  #52
Gear Maniac
 

The CAD M179 is something I've heard is pretty good. And..it's cheap.
Not mention here on this thred.
So, there!!!! NANANANANANA!



TT
Old 21st June 2009
  #53
jho
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 

E22S or 421 here
Old 21st June 2009
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han View Post
First off: you guys are telling nothing new, this has been discussed hundreds of times in the past six years.
So? And you point is?

Nice sig, btw......
Old 21st June 2009
  #55
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Don't do much rock, punk, or metal do you? And please don't knock people who cut stones - I cut a fair amount of opal and star ruby when I'm not doing audio........

Um, John, he might not hear you. Your are responding to a post that is over 6 years old.
Old 24th June 2009
  #56
Lives for gear
 
vtone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearnoevil72 View Post
I am only giving my opinion, cause we know everyone has their own. I am just telling you after having used all these different mics that my favorites in order of preference are:

1. Sennheiser 421(nothing better)thumbsup
2. Audix D series 2's and 4's(I don't care what people say these are just great ballsy mics)
3. Audix I5(a warmer sound than a 57)
4. Good 'ole 57(industry standard)
5. Sennheiser 604s(as long as the drum is tuned right or else refer to #1 below)

Runner ups or downs in my opinion:

1. Sennheiser 609 (the mics can sound good, it just takes way too much time to dial in and if you don't have the correct type of claw to get the mic close enough to the head of the tom you can forget about any body. The upside is they do have excellent attack.)
2.Shure 98s( again too much time to dial in, and god forbid a drummer accidentally hit it. is what the mic would be!! Dead I said!!!!)
3. anything made by CADtutttutttutttutt BOOOOOO!!!!!

I am sure there are better mics out there I have yet to use, but this is my list on what I have experienced myself.

Respond and let me know what you guys think!!

I remember another mic I really loved was the old school AT25 by audio technica, howver they don't make them anymore. now you can get an atm25 by the same, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.
This is a great post. Thanks for sending that!

I have an ATM25 and I love it on kick, floor tom, bass cabs. It's great for low end and it doesn't sound like a D112 or D6. Has it's own flavor.
Old 24th June 2009
  #57
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevort View Post
The CAD M179 is something I've heard is pretty good. And..it's cheap.
Not mention here on this thred.
So, there!!!! NANANANANANA!



TT
haha

Yeah, what is with the 6 year old thread bump though?

War
Old 24th June 2009
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Keith Moore's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
TLM 103's on toms keep me happy every time.
I recall my TLM103 clipping when I would try it on floor toms. Is there any trick to avoid this?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
....... / So much gear, so little time
85
emptyman / High end
19
strat+ac30 / So much gear, so little time
3
666666 / High end
35
Disjointed / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump