The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
upgrade my g4 or buy a new one? powerlogic upgrades??
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

upgrade my g4 or buy a new one? powerlogic upgrades??

here is the question in quick form.

i have a dual 533 g4. lotsa ram, superdrive, decent hd's, all the crap ya know. it's a native setup, pro tools le and DP. ( i use the tdm stuff often at other studios, but do respectable work on my home native setup).

the new macs don't knock me over. i'm thinking of waiting to get a new generation mac, with the rumored ibm chip. in the meantime, to get the most life out of my current mac, how about a powerlogic processor upgrade?

they make a dual 1.25 ghz g4 upgrade that would work in my machine. much cheaper than the current new models, might really quench my thirst for more speed. any good or bad experience wit processor upgraded g4's? powerlogic in general? daw issues to consider? i used to have an upgrade in my old 8600, but that was ages ago and any knowledge form then is probably no longer relevant. i'd love to hear anything from an actual audio dude about compatibility and so forth. so long as it really works right and doesn't summon up the conflict fairy or some shit like that i'll pony up the dough.

ladies? gents? dudes? any thoughts?
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...m=PLGPFD12G133

that's the link for my possible new baby.

so bring on the comments. this might be a winner for me.
Old 14th February 2003
Gear Guru

A friend of mine did it and he loves it.
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

Check out this link:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4CARDS/p..._g4_dual_1ghz/

Peace
Rob
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

the review makes the upgrade look like a winner. so, now to guess when the new generation machines will be out so i can guage my patience. any good rumors about release dates for new ibm processor based mac? what are anybody's preferred mac rumor sites? if it looks far enough out, i'll get an upgrade. if it looks like it's i can wait it out, the funds will just plain go into a new computer.
Old 13th September 2003
Gear Nut

So who is using one? I am thinking about the dual 1.4 for my G4/500. Prices keep going down. Any feedback?
Old 13th September 2003
Deleted 2ef94c5
Quote:
Originally posted by DigiGeek
I am thinking about the dual 1.4 for my G4/500. Prices keep going down. Any feedback?
I just did that exact upgrade: G4 500 to dual 1.4 and it is smokin. I also have an original 1.42mp and it compares very favorably to it. The PCI bandwidth remains the same (100mhz), but unless you are chalk full of PCI and Firewire devices, you shouldnt bottleneck.

It was a breeze to install, highly recommended!
Old 13th September 2003
Gear Nut

I just did the upgrade a few months ago.

G4/500 AGP Graphics to Powerlogix dual 1.25.

Had a problem with the first processor card (took 10 minutes to install).

Powerlogix had me try a few things and told me it was faulty.
OWC sent me a new on right away.

New one worked fine (once again, 10 min to install).

I would DEFINITELY do this again.

MUCH easier than fooling with a new maching (ProTools install, plugin authorizations, other software on the machine to re-install, card swapping, etc...)
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear