The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital Camera for Outboard Recall
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

Digital Camera for Outboard Recall

I want to get a digital camera to record session settings. Track sheets are not compatible with me becuse I'm not good with paper organization. I hope to just take pix of every patch and rack for each file/track. It'll take up space but hard disk is cheap.

Can anyone reccomend anything that's mac compatible? OS 9 please.

Quality doesn't really matter, since I only need to be able to tell knob position. A flash is neccesary.

I just don't want the camera to be total shitzat ya know?

Thankies.grggt
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

I use a Nikon CoolPix 775 for exactly this purpose. Works fine, has a decent macro mode for close-up shots, and mounts as a disk in OS9 when you plug-in the cable.

-dave
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

I use an Olympus Camedia C-211 zoom for this. It's a 2.1 megapixel with SmartMedia card storage and a built-in USB connection that works fine with OS9. Prints Polaroids too, $200. HTH
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

Be carefull with the flashlight! It might highlight parts of the pictures that are important!
Old 14th February 2003
I think my 'toy' Casio ExSlim will be ok, but I reckon a tiny halogen lamp I use to see behind the racks at my place wil be a better light source than the flash, the flash will probably just bounce back off the gears faceplates and f**k up the photo..

its a great gadget,

http://exilim.casio.com/camera.cfm

A 3 mill pixel & optical zoom model is due out any day now...

tutt
Old 14th February 2003
High End Moderator

I use a Nikon coolpix 990. Take the picture from a slight angle above or below the front plate to avoid the flash problems.

For all that use the old method of writing stuff down as they go, here is a cool website:
http://chambinathor.free.fr/recallus/recallu2.htm
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

What I find even better is to "talk" the settings into a mic and record it into ProTools (or whatever) and store it with the session. This way you can just listen and reset the gear without having to look at a series of pictures.
drew
Old 15th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I like the gearbox templates in Apogee Session Tools. You just print out a template of the piece you're using and put check marks around the dial settings. Not all gear is covered but most is, and some are interchangeable because the settings are the same (think mic pre).

The program also comes with track sheets, invoices, booking schedules, etc. All very well done and pro looking.
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by drew
What I find even better is to "talk" the settings into a mic and record it into ProTools (or whatever) and store it with the session. This way you can just listen and reset the gear without having to look at a series of pictures.
drew
Drew that's a great idea.
Old 21st June 2004
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:

drew
brilliant
Old 21st June 2004
Quote:
drew
With the amount of outboard i use it would take 3 Pro Tools sessions.
Old 21st June 2004
Old 21st June 2004
Quote:
http://www.auctioneers.org/becomeAuctioneer/index.cfm

talk faster!!!
Or i could track it at a higher pitch, than slow it down on a sampler.
Old 22nd June 2004
Lives for gear

Anyone doing commercial sessions doing this? I had a nice digital camera but including the pictures into the session files was an issue...so I never did it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear