The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone use a Little Labs IBP? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 12th August 2008
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
You can put 4 of them in a standard rack shelf, but what you see in the video is indeed "special-made" for the IBP's.
So yours is made by little labs. How much is it. I see no mention of it on the mercenary site. Any idea how I could get a closer look at the ibp rack?

BTW, you look like a large leprechaun. If you could do the next gear video in a green suit, that would be awesome. You can keep the hat and the beer the same.

heh
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post
BTW, you look like a large leprechaun. If you could do the next gear video in a green suit, that would be awesome. You can keep the hat and the beer the same.

heh
I hope he has a Pot O IBP's. I'm going to follow that rainbow.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston View Post
Has anyone used one to correct problems caused by non integer latencies for daw hardware mults?

J
Hwut? (Spits tobacco.)
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbronson View Post
Fletcher posted a link in another forum and it looks pretty interesting. I can't find any info when I search, just a ton for sale on the used market. Seems people want to get rid of them?

If you own one or have used it, I'd appreciate your opinions. Particularly:
-Is the phase alignment useful, especially for getting drums in phase (snare top and bottom mics?) or a couple mics on an amp (one close, one half a foot back?)
-Does adjusting phase with it degrade the sound quality at all?
-Is the DI good sounding, how does it compare to other units?
-Is the reamp good sounding, how does this compare to other units?

Thanks for any light you can shed!
great DI!

also, in addition to all the other uses posted on this thread, it can be very useful in the dreaded two mic acoustic guitar/vocal mic setup. when you have a singer that sings loud and plays guitar like a wussy (male or females, both count) and consequently have tons of vocal in your gtr mic, and it trashes the vocal sound, i've used the IBP to help this. not cure it, mind you, but at least i won't be rolling over in my grave.

tweaking the phase adjustment can be subtle, but with time and patience, you get the hang of it. basically use the phase reverse and phase adjust bypass switches until you can tell are improving the situation with it "in".
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you own one or have used it, I'd appreciate your opinions. Particularly:-Is the phase alignment useful, especially for getting drums in phase (snare top and bottom mics?) or a couple mics on an amp (one close, one half a foot back?)
Absolutely. It shines on drums and for guitar amps it's a great tone-shaping tool. What I mean is that with say 2 mics on an amp there's not necessarily a need to 'correct' the phase but rather the beauty of placing 2 mics where they sound best while also adjusting the best combined sound. The IBP isn't always needed for this but it's nice to have the option.

Quote:
-Does adjusting phase with it degrade the sound quality at all?
Not at all. It won't affect the individual mics but rather the combined sound. At first I was a bit scared of the IBP as the options seemed endless. After a while though I started to realize that there's no right or wrong, just turn the knobs and find a setting that enhances the sound. It's VERY useful to do this in one-speaker mono. Now it only takes me a minute or two to find a good setting. It becomes easy once you get the hang of it.

When I use the IBP on bass for combining a (Sans) amp and DI signal, I have the bass player play long deep notes so that I can adjust the IBP to get the fullest/tighest bottom end. It makes a huge difference and the same is true for kick drum combinations,etc.

Quote:
-Is the DI good sounding, how does it compare to other units?
The DI is KILLER! I really love it on bass.

Since I'm praising this box so much let me add some criticism: The trim knob on the back of the unit is hard to access and I managed to break it because I didn't know what kind of tool I needed trying to operate it. I would rather have the trim on the front with a dedicated control, especially once the unit is rack-mounted.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Andi and everyone else. I'll be picking one up soon. I think this will help me on the project I'm currently working on. I need a more robust snare tone, all the guitars are two mics, and the bass is mic'd and DI'd.

This will actually be my first venture 'outside the box'!
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Voxengo sells the PHA-979 which is very great working as well and similar to IBP. This is a FAQ snippet from the manual :

I was wondering is the technology of this plugin is the same as in the Little Labs IBP? http://www.littlelabs.com/ibp.html

Probably PHA-979 is very close to IBP in the idea. However, since IBP is an analog box, it is not linear-phase and thus it may add some additional 'analog' coloration, it may also shift some range of frequencies more than the rest (it has a lo/hi switch for this). This may or may not be good in a particular situation. PHA-979 is neutral in this respect. When applying PHA-979 you can be sure nothing is destroyed in the process.
Old 14th December 2014
Gear Maniac

I was trying the pha 979 for a couple of weeks without a breakthrouh result. Since two days i have the Hardware ipb, and after 2min i had the Resultat that i was trying to get with the pha979.

Someone comprared the uad Version to the hw one?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search