The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making sure the snare won't be trashed in mastering? Dynamics Plugins
Old 7th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebot9000 View Post
Sitting in the room with the ME isn't a bad idea either.
At $375 an hour it better be.
Old 7th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Mangum View Post
I would suggest not compressing the snare track at all, bearing in mind that compression on top of compression is going to multiply ratios, not add to them... so if you're using a 4:1 compression on the snare track, and say the mastering engineer uses an overall 2:1 even, the snare will then be compressed 8:1, which is gonna sound terrible!

Of course it is my opinion (as it is the opinion of most informed drummers) that compressing the snare track kills the snare sound.

Wow.
Old 20th September 2008
Gear Head

Hey Dan, I noticed you're in Calgary. I had a great experience working with Dave Horrocks from Infinite Wave, several years ago. Dave used to own Sundae Sound, but now just does mastering.
He was adamant that we should be happy with the final product. We listened to my mixes together in his room, he made some suggestions of tweaks that would improve the final master.

Then he made a test master looking for feedback from us; when we told him we didn't need a super squashed brickwall mix, he was pumped to go back and redo everything with more dynamics.

Anyway, no real help for your question. just thought I'd pass on a good experience locally...

Rick Hatch
Sittin' Idol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search