The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar Center: yesterday Goliath, today David Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Wait...BEST BUY has FULL STACKS now?

Sean's new mission: To repeatedly be kicked out of Best Buy due to 140dB of 8-finger tapping.
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionpro View Post
^^I've bought guitar strings from WAL-MART!

Not the best selection but for the middle of the night...pretty nice!

Best Buy and music equipment doesn't really sit well with me, but I really don't like GC either...we'll see
Really?? Are they making guitar strings in China now?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
Does this now mean that when I walk into Best Buy I'll have to hear people pounding on drum kits, and electric guitars and amps blaring sounds no human should ever have to hear?
What is any different from going in there now? I don't go there without earplugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
just think....soon enough one will be able to go to ONE location to purchase an instrument, a protools recording rig, a cd duplicator/printer, and quite possibly in the SAME day, be able to purchase YOUR own cd with YOUR music on it.
Didn't they used to call these 'studios'?

Steve
Old 7th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Really?? Are they making guitar strings in China now?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
I'd say that's a sure sign.

War
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
Sean's new mission: To repeatedly be kicked out of Best Buy due to 140dB of 8-finger tapping.

lmfbo
Old 7th August 2008
If they're really smart they would install a CD section again, but just for the customer's recordings. That way they could dream about selling platinum out of a big box store, show it off to their friends and relatives and inspire local competition, etc. Just think how many American Idol wanna-be's would go buy this stuff, record their music so it could be placed for sale right back into the store they got their stuff from. Better selling CD's would be sent to other stores as well. It would be a vicious musical circle with BB getting the profits coming and going.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Best Buy is just smart enough to stay in business while Circuit City goes down the swirlie.

But no smarter.

3rd&4thT
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I'm near one of the Best Buys that has this going on so I had to check it out. I'm sure glad I read about it here first or I wouldn't have believed it.

It's basically a mini Guitar Center. Really not of much use to anyone serious as the selection is even less than the smallest of Guitar Centers. They did have probably as many Les Pauls as the average small Guitar Center though. The employee was very helpful and nice although even more clueless than the average GC employee. He pointed to a computer kiosk where you can order your own Gibson, but I didn't bother looking at it. They did have one of the new LP Traditionals that I tried out with a JVM in an amp room they had set up. There was a drum room with a couple of DW kits and the rest low end, maybe 6 kits total. The proportion of cables of all types they had compared to other things seemed very high, I assume because they are high profit margin items. There was a room for lessons.

So I'd say my experience was pleasant but not particularly useful. I could definitely imagine people wandering in there and buying a guitar with no intention of actually learning to play or buying gifts or whatever. With Guitar Center people have to make a special trip for that kind of impulse buy. It does take up a lot of floor space though, so not sure of the economics.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Another thing to think about, is that GC will often give people special discounts. I know they have that "rule" now supposedly where they won't do that, but I still get it from the guys at my local GC...Best Buy of course can't and wouldn't do that, and of course there is the issue with even more clueless workers as alluded above.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Forgot to mention, there was an older guy with a Beatles shirt on trying out a $2000 Gibson. He plugs in and plays Norwegian Wood with absolute max fizzy high gain distortion. He looks confused and satisfied at the same time. I can't explain it, but this cracks me up every time.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Best Buy with Marshall stacks. You must be kidding. Every time I go in that store there is some idiot cranking Guitar Hero. God help us when those guys find a Strat lying around.
Old 8th August 2008
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
They will need a slogan... something like, "The more expensive the guitar, the easier it is to learn to play!"
"Do you want to buy your first guitar.....or your last guitar???"

That one was pulled out on me.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
They will need a slogan... something like, "The more expensive the guitar, the easier it is to learn to play!"
I guarantee you won't see a guitar there over $800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dft3670 View Post
Best Buy with Marshall stacks. You must be kidding. Every time I go in that store there is some idiot cranking Guitar Hero. God help us when those guys find a Strat lying around.
And I'm pretty sure you'll only see the solid-state Marshalls.

2500 sq ft isn't that much. The way they have to move merchandise, they won't have an inch to spare for something that isn't totally inside the consumer zone. If it wouldn't make a good birthday present for junior, I doubt you'll see it there.
Old 8th August 2008
Did you know guitar center wont give deals anymore. The days of 10% above are gone. You pay what it says on the tag no deals. Corporate put the crackdown on discounts.
This should help the mom and pop stores out. I think it's weird for best buy to do this. More posers to saturate the already over saturated music scene.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
just think....soon enough one will be able to go to ONE location to purchase an instrument, a protools recording rig, a cd duplicator/printer, and quite possibly in the SAME day, be able to purchase YOUR own cd with YOUR music on it. hell, you can probably even make your own music VIDEO while you are there.

it will be SO awesome.

its like the ultimate target marketing. best buy lures you in with their amazing advertisements, inspiring you to ROCK...so, you head on down...walk in...pick up a new gibson and marshall stack...you become a musician...then you make your OWN product...and then you buy it. (along with that kick [email protected] home, computer and car stereo system to play it on) ALL AT THE SAME STORE.

i bet they even will finance it all for you.

we can all be rockstars NOW, and have no payments or interest for 18 months !!

brilliant.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Heck you don't have to go anywhere. Just send them a photo, a voice sample, and your musical preferences. They'll do all the rest and make you least as good as most of the independent releases.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
I used to shop at Guitar Center a bunch of employees know me so I would always get their discounts and the like but things changed about 6 months ago. The employee discounts went away and they weren't able to hook up the prices the way they used to so I stopped shopping there.
Yeah, just yesterday I got some small stuff at GC, and the guy said that the quit the discounts. Seems to me like the wrong direction in a poor economy.

I haven't had trouble with BB. Years ago, the employees knew nothing, but for the past few years, I can generally find someone who is knowledgeable.

They diagnosed my laptop for a nice low price, then told me where to get the memory chip it needed that they didn't carry. So, I found the service to be good.

Besides, BB is right by my house.

Good move as far as I am concerned.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I guarantee you won't see a guitar there over $800.

And I'm pretty sure you'll only see the solid-state Marshalls.
I personally played a $2100+ Les Paul Traditional through a Marshall JVM full stack ($2100+ just for the head) there yesterday. They also had a Les Paul and an SG Robot guitar as well as a few other LP Standards.

What do I get for calling you out on your guarantee?
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
at first I thought the link was going to be of guitar center getting bought out..

Thats crazy. It seemed like best by has been selling more and more instrument lately.

Knowing how bad most guitar center employees are... can you even imagine best buy employees selling gear?

wow.
No kidding. In my experience, today's Best Buy employees are barely qualified to sell a baby monitor. At least out here in Cali, they have a terrible reputation in computer stuff at this point.

Still, they ought to be able to lowball GC on some stuff.

Turnabout, huh?

I'm sure all those mom and pop music stores are having a good laugh... all 7 that are left in the continental US. heh
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloBeddoe View Post
What do I get for calling you out on your guarantee?
No prize, because I'm going to be right someday.

Wait a year. It's like McDonald's oversees. When they first move into a new territory they have the standard U.S. menu for a year or two. When the novelty of eating fatty American food has worn off, they convert to local cuisine, and maybe have a Big Mac and a cheeseburger. Ultimately, their regular clientele wants something else.

The reason I say this is that guitar stores have already been dominated by the consumer-oriented gear for 20 years now. BB's margins are just not that great that they can waste floor space on anything that doesn't move fast. That means consumer gear. They don't stock high-end hi-fi gear, and the same will ultimately be true of music gear. They're just the Sears of today.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wait a year. It's like McDonald's oversees. When they first move into a new territory they have the standard U.S. menu for a year or two. When the novelty of eating fatty American food has worn off, they convert to local cuisine, and maybe have a Big Mac and a cheeseburger. Ultimately, their regular clientele wants something else.
Not true either. heh I've eaten at plenty of McDonald's around the world and although there were indeed items that resembled local cuisine, the bulk of the menu is still your typical Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Cheeseburger, Chicken Sandwiches, McNuggets, Shakes, Sundays, etc. But I gave that stuff up years ago...

Ed
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcampos View Post
Not true either. heh I've eaten at plenty of McDonald's around the world and although there were indeed items that resembled local cuisine, the bulk of the menu is still your typical Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Cheeseburger, Chicken Sandwiches, McNuggets, Shakes, Sundays, etc.
Dude, throw me a bone here! I've been to a few that didn't serve the American stuff. It depends on what will sell. Cut me some slack!

You KNOW you're never going to buy a good guitar from some kid wearing that freakin' blue shirt, no matter what they have in stock! Whatever GC has, BB will be less.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Gc prices>>>

DID YOU KNOW.....

It's not called NO DISCOUNT PLAN, it's called PRICE MANAGEMENT PLAN, meaning: if you nag the manager he can discount what ever wants.

I.E: I just got an API 3124 for $2,200.00, why?? because I know the manager. hehehe
another
I.E: I just got a Crown IT400 for $2400.00, why?? same reason...

And YES they can still take 10% off for anything above $500 for no reason. And their price matches are something to take advantage of.

Yes there customer service sucks, Yes most of there employees are morons. BUT, I worked at a GC that had 4 Full Sail grads, and ME (Northern VA community College GRAD.) I don't think we were that stupid. We had some pretty awesome keyboard players too. Our DJ's were awesome too. Best Light Show in the area. NOW, it's a totally different story but there are still a couple of OK salesmen even though most SUCK.

I don't expect BEST BUY employees to be any more knowledgeable, than those of a store that at least tries to make there employees know a little bit of what they are selling.

my 2 cents
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude, throw me a bone here! I've been to a few that didn't serve the American stuff. It depends on what will sell. Cut me some slack!

You KNOW you're never going to buy a good guitar from some kid wearing that freakin' blue shirt, no matter what they have in stock! Whatever GC has, BB will be less.
HAHA. I was just busting your chops man, all in good fun . There was definitely some truth the McD's thing.

Ed
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloBeddoe View Post
I'm near one of the Best Buys that has this going on so I had to check it out. I'm sure glad I read about it here first or I wouldn't have believed it.

It's basically a mini Guitar Center. Really not of much use to anyone serious as the selection is even less than the smallest of Guitar Centers. They did have probably as many Les Pauls as the average small Guitar Center though. The employee was very helpful and nice although even more clueless than the average GC employee. He pointed to a computer kiosk where you can order your own Gibson, but I didn't bother looking at it. They did have one of the new LP Traditionals that I tried out with a JVM in an amp room they had set up. There was a drum room with a couple of DW kits and the rest low end, maybe 6 kits total. The proportion of cables of all types they had compared to other things seemed very high, I assume because they are high profit margin items. There was a room for lessons.

So I'd say my experience was pleasant but not particularly useful. I could definitely imagine people wandering in there and buying a guitar with no intention of actually learning to play or buying gifts or whatever. With Guitar Center people have to make a special trip for that kind of impulse buy. It does take up a lot of floor space though, so not sure of the economics.
Wow...I am surprised they carry higher end gear like that. I was expecting a bunch of squires and epiphones and ****ty solid state amps sold in packages. Isn't that how to capitalize on rock-band-mania?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search