The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Melcor AM-27
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Addict

Melcor AM-27

Looked around but could not find much about this pre Melcor AM-27 microphone preamp

anyone know anything about it besides it was a API predecessor?

do they compare to anything in the 500 series.

im sure you all see the e-bay posting of the one im talking about
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

What is up for auction there is an Eisen DIY preamp with a Melcor parts.

I bought the Eisen kits and recognize the boards and the metalwork.

Melcor never did have a card that used the 30 pin AMP/Cinch edge connectors, they used a different type connector where there were two rows of pins on the card and the opposite jack on the chassis.

Buyer beware. I think that eBay ad sucks that the seller says "made from Melcor AML-27 and AM-20 mic preamp cards. Uses the Melcor 400-16 input transformer, Melcor 1731 opamp and Melcor 400-17-1 output transformer." as the card is an Eisen. What a schmuck.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

I had two pres very similar to this. same transformers and opamp and they came from some melcor cards.

having said that, i found the input transformers to be pretty light on the low end. i pulled them out and installed a few things before i settled on the JLM 1:4 input transformer. then i sold the 1731 opamps and put in some 2520s. now they sound good.

a lot of people really love the melcor amps. I didn't care for them in a mic pre but i do like them in EQs (the melcor GME-20...yum). i didn't like that input transformer AT ALL. some people probably love it. it sounded too much like T.Rex for me.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks guys!
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
Buyer beware. I think that eBay ad sucks that the seller says "made from Melcor AML-27 and AM-20 mic preamp cards. Uses the Melcor 400-16 input transformer, Melcor 1731 opamp and Melcor 400-17-1 output transformer." as the card is an Eisen. What a schmuck.
I'd have to disagree. This so-called schmuck is responsible for resurrecting the DIY500 kits, having requested a very, very large order some months back. Of course I can't guarantee the assembly quality, as I had nothing to do with that, but I gladly supplied the kits and recommended component values, and have no qualms with what he appears to be doing with the completed modules. Rare MAP/Melcor parts with the conversion to mic plug-and-play mic pre already done for you; seems like a good deal to me.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVVI View Post
Looked around but could not find much about this pre Melcor AM-27 microphone preamp

anyone know anything about it besides it was a API predecessor?
AM-27 was more or less Melcor's equivalent to the API 312 plug-in mic preamp or summing amp card. A Melcor 1731 op amp (predecessor to the API 2520 - similar forward midrange, but more smearer and laid back overall) with steel EI625 output transformer and either the black box Melcor input transformer (unique sound) or the tiny metal can (peanut) beyerdynamic input transformers that so many other manufacturers used. I believe there were a number of versions of this card under Melcor and MAP.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EisenAudio View Post
I'd have to disagree....
Rare MAP/Melcor parts with the conversion to mic plug-and-play mic pre already done for you; seems like a good deal to me.
I think it is misleading and a disservice not to credit you Jens. If you are ok with it, I will hold my peace.
Old 13th January 2009
Lives for gear

Resurrecting this thread as I just bought a pair of these and I'm curious to hear if anyone else has some. The seller's been great to talk to so far and very cool.

I'm getting the pair with the MAP 5004 hybrid OpAmps and I may try dropping in some different OpAmps just to see how they all sound. The transformers in the one's I'm buying are MAP 400-51 input transformers and MAP/Melcor 400-17-1 output transformers. I'm interested to see how they sound.

They'll be going into a rack with a pair of BAE 312's and some 512c's, so it should be interesting to compare and contrast.
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear
hey, speaking of map 5004, I just got something similar from a guy locally.

by the way, the map 5004 is totally wierd oversize and not something you can drop-in replace without lots of work.

this looks old to me but it might just be the builder's style. the board is definitely very 1970s to me. it says 4003/4004, someone scratched 8021 into the board.

it has a map 5004, map 400-51 tranny, an unknown big black iron core tranny, several resistors and diodes and electrolytic caps (ICC brand). there's orange pressure-type label maker tape on it saying MP.

the connector is 15 wire with a notch, again quite over size by modern standards (almost like old at type computer connectors before pci was around), single sided. board is wild guess (no ruler handy here) 2.5 or 3 " tall, maybe 5 " long front to back (assuming it's installed as I would expect it to be), the connector is almost the full 2.5 or 3" height, and the (probably front) end of it has a plastic slider flipper thing labeled "MAP in the same computer-esque font as the op amp.

I'd love a pinout for this if anyone has it and also am wondering what this is supposed to be plugged into and any other info. I'd obviously like to build it into a case with psu and controls but I don't know where to start at this point.

cheers,
Don
Old 27th December 2011
I just got a pair of MAP AM-27's in a trade. Couldn't find much info on them, but they are built on Eisen boards. Perhaps someone in this thread built them?
Attached Thumbnails
Melcor AM-27-photo.jpg  
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

The gentleman that built all of these sold them on eBay originally, where I got mine. He did a large batch of them on Eisen boards and they're very well put together. I used them cautiously at first just to make sure they were up to the various tasks I'd be throwing at them and IMHO they hold up just fine next to my 512c's and BAE 312's. They're very cool modules and the price I got them at was great as well.

Congrats on getting some. I think you'll love them.
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Maniac

I built the MAP AM-27 and Ya-Mama! PM-2K modules as API 500 series compatible mic preamps in June/July 2008. I originally contacted Jens (@ Eisen Audio) to assist me in making the hardware needed to complete my project. This was meant to be a custom job for my modules, but Jens ended up engineering the PC board so it would be widely compatible with other 3rd party components, so it ended up kicking off a 2nd edition of his DIY 500 modules, which he had no intention of doing until I presented my project to him.
I had both MAP 1731 discrete opamps and MAP 5004 hybrid opamps available and offered many customers that option of choice. To my ears, the 5004 hybrid opamp sounded a bit cleaner and faster. The 5004 hybrid opamps were originally a direct solder-in component and not able to be swapped out for other 2520/990 opamp footprints, but I constructed(not Jens) a small PC board with standoff pins that allowed the AM-27 user to easily swap the 5004 opamps out for 3rd party 2520/990 footprint opamps for comparison purposes.
If you want other opinions about the sound of the modules, you can contact Paul Leavitt @ Paul Leavitt - Valencia Recording Studio He purchased about (6) AM-27 modules, some with 1731 opamps and some with 5004 opamps.

Milton Philpott
mkp27
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkp27 View Post
it ended up kicking off a 2nd edition of his DIY 500 modules, which he had no intention of doing until I presented my project to him
Testify

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search