The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sennheiser MD509 (Black Fire's)
Old 11th February 2003
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Sennheiser MD509 (Black Fire's)

Is anyone else using these?

I bought mine years ago when I had a deal, because at the time I thought they were the same mic's that were on Pink Floyds Pompei video!! (they were 409's, btw) Anyone have a worse reason for buying mic's!?

I hadn't really used them much until recently when I dug them out, and I've been really digging them. Good 57 alternative to me, plus I managed to get a great kit sound with just two of them recently.
Old 11th February 2003
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
pisser's Avatar
 

Used to use them on toms all the time. Loved them. One day when I'm in the market for some new mics I'd love to find 3 or four of them
Old 11th February 2003
  #3
Lives for gear
 
sonic dogg's Avatar
i used to have a couple of md-409's...worst decision was to sell em....used em on marshall cabinets right up tight on the grillcloth..what a sound....also kick drum in tight to the head...after which i realized just how boomy and loose the d-112 was......
Old 12th February 2003
  #4
Gear addict
 

Quote:
At Winter NAMM 2003 (January 16 to 19, 2003), Sennheiser Electronic (Old Lyme, Conn.; booth #6555) will introduce one of the first instrument mic upgrades in the Evolution Wired Mic Series, the E 609 Silver. Building on the Evolution 609 and MD 409 dynamic microphones, Sennheiser re-engineered the E 609's capsule for a punchier sound with more clarity.

Sporting the same silver front grille, the E 609 Silver's tonal character has been tailored to more closely match the MD 409's; physical construction and side-address configuration remain the same, as well. Frequency response is 40-18k Hz, sensitivity is 1.5 mV/Pa and nominal impedance is 350 ohms.



The E 609 Silver will be available in February 2003, with an MSRP of $199.95.
Old 12th February 2003
  #5
Gear addict
 

I think I've heard people who have a/b'ed them determine the 509 and 409 are about identical audio wise. The e609 is supposed to be not so thick, maybe a bit brighter and thinner, but still a bit smoother and creamier than a 57. And Sennheiser has now released the e609-Emotion, distinguished by two-tone grills (silver and black), at a lower price, and they claim to have recaptured the 409 sound. Confused?

Bear
Old 12th February 2003
  #6
Gear addict
 

not too confused

I own the original e-609's and find them to be OK - and use them sometimes on Guitars and/or Toms. But I found I needed to double mic with a 57 as well when recording guitars. I didn't get the impression they were as cool as 409's. I eager to try out the new two tone e609 'silver's.
Old 12th February 2003
  #7
Here for the gear
 

yeah, right, 409s...

Last week, my friend told me, how he recorded his worldwide million selling hit single "Lemon Tree" of his band "Fool's Garden":
He had a Fostex 1/2", a soundcraft 16/4/2, an atari, a bedroom in his parents house and ONE fu**ing 409.
He recorded everything with it, Live-Hihat (drums out of the box), guitars, and vocals. Vocal sound was a little muddy, so he "fixed" it with his "conrad electronic" (germanys radio shack) parametric EQ.
Yeah, and he put a dustbin over the 409, when recording guitar, he wanted something weird.
If you get a chance to hear that song - it's real 409 magic.

I'm crazy for mics, old ones, tubemics etc.
Own a 509 for years along with other great mics, never liked it anywhere, thought it was poo, a bad joke. Now that lemon tree thing really ****ed me up.
Old 29th February 2016
  #8
Here for the gear
omg .....
i have one i was given it about 20+ years ago , i used it live and it got bashed about so i left it at home i have just found it again....wanted to check up what it as and worth keeping ..... coooooooooooooooooooool i guess i shall
Old 29th February 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Santiago's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghud View Post
omg .....
i have one i was given it about 20+ years ago , i used it live and it got bashed about so i left it at home i have just found it again....wanted to check up what it as and worth keeping ..... coooooooooooooooooooool i guess i shall
Oops, you just woke up a long-dormant thread!



But yes, these mics are brilliant. I use them all the time on guitar amps (it's Daniel Lanois' desert island mic!), but also on vocals, where they are rather dark and ribonny but sound good and get very little bleed and sibiliance.
Old 29th February 2016
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post
Is anyone else using these?

I bought mine years ago when I had a deal, because at the time I thought they were the same mic's that were on Pink Floyds Pompei video!! (they were 409's, btw) Anyone have a worse reason for buying mic's!?

I hadn't really used them much until recently when I dug them out, and I've been really digging them. Good 57 alternative to me, plus I managed to get a great kit sound with just two of them recently.

I got the e906 after watching Pompeii. Great video! Great mic too I guess, although not exactly the same as a 409.
Old 29th February 2016
  #11
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Oops, you just woke up a long-dormant thread!



But yes, these mics are brilliant. I use them all the time on guitar amps (it's Daniel Lanois' desert island mic!), but also on vocals, where they are rather dark and ribonny but sound good and get very little bleed and sibiliance.
yeah i know but i just found mine and googled it then came on here , was cleaning out the corners of my life lol looking for stuff to get rid of, or re use ..
i had no idea that this mic was saught after....
i will pay for it to be pepped up ..and it will rejoin my small arsenal of seldom used gear but may be used as and when needed if not i know of many peeps who could use it day to day ...just amazing to have somethin like this happen to me .... for once lol...
so i am going back to sleep for a fw more years .. maybe when i wake up my cd sales are not so depressing or i am top ten stuff... naaaaah i1ll sleep in
cheers
T
Old 1st March 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Granny Gremlin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Fission View Post
I think I've heard people who have a/b'ed them determine the 509 and 409 are about identical audio wise.
I'd believe this; wasn't there other models on the Black Fire line that were just renamed classics (e.g. Black Fire 541 = MD441?).

Anyway, the only Black Fire series I had (still do) is the 515 supercard. Came to me for free and it has been worth every penny. Once recorded a crackling fire with it because I didn't want to risk melting any other mic.
Old 1st March 2016
  #13
Gear Addict
 
Sonic Lush's Avatar
AFAIK, Sennheiser can not (or does not) repair the 409 or 509.
Old 1st March 2016
  #14
Klaatu.. barada.. nikto..
 
M.S.P.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin View Post
I'd believe this; wasn't there other models on the Black Fire line that were just renamed classics (e.g. Black Fire 541 = MD441?).

Anyway, the only Black Fire series I had (still do) is the 515 supercard. Came to me for free and it has been worth every penny. Once recorded a crackling fire with it because I didn't want to risk melting any other mic.
409 (509), 441 (541), 421 (541) - but it doesnt have the M-S switch, 431 (531). Those are the ones that I know of.
Old 1st March 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Santiago's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush View Post
AFAIK, Sennheiser can not (or does not) repair the 409 or 509.
That's right, but as they are relatively simple and transformerless the procedures are simple:

- If the foam inside the grille has rotten away, it can be replaced (there are tutorials online)

- If the capsule is gone, the microphone is dead
Old 1st March 2016
  #16
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin View Post
I'd believe this; wasn't there other models on the Black Fire line that were just renamed classics (e.g. Black Fire 541 = MD441?).
The BF 509 was a renamed MD 409.

The BF 521 was a renamed MD 421 *BUT* without the bass roll-off switch.

The BF 531 was the same as the MD 431, but I think the on/off switch was removed.

The BF 541 was a renamed MD 441 *BUT* without the bass roll-off switch *and* the BF version was all black.

The BF 518 was the MD 418 capsule in a better body.

But these were still expensive to make and the Black Fire range was later replaced by the evolution series. evolution had automated manufacture which meant that a high quality microphone could be made for a lower cost as the whole production line was run by just two people.
Loading mentioned products ...
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mullytron / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
JQ127 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
5
matucha / So much gear, so little time!
3
mtlin / So much gear, so little time!
1
dadgad65 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3

Forum Jump