Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
Sennheiser MD509 (Black Fire's)
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

Sennheiser MD509 (Black Fire's)

Is anyone else using these?

I bought mine years ago when I had a deal, because at the time I thought they were the same mic's that were on Pink Floyds Pompei video!! (they were 409's, btw) Anyone have a worse reason for buying mic's!?

I hadn't really used them much until recently when I dug them out, and I've been really digging them. Good 57 alternative to me, plus I managed to get a great kit sound with just two of them recently.
Old 11th February 2003
Gear Nut

Used to use them on toms all the time. Loved them. One day when I'm in the market for some new mics I'd love to find 3 or four of them
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear
i used to have a couple of md-409's...worst decision was to sell em....used em on marshall cabinets right up tight on the grillcloth..what a sound....also kick drum in tight to the head...after which i realized just how boomy and loose the d-112 was......
Old 12th February 2003
Gear addict

At Winter NAMM 2003 (January 16 to 19, 2003), Sennheiser Electronic (Old Lyme, Conn.; booth #6555) will introduce one of the first instrument mic upgrades in the Evolution Wired Mic Series, the E 609 Silver. Building on the Evolution 609 and MD 409 dynamic microphones, Sennheiser re-engineered the E 609's capsule for a punchier sound with more clarity.

Sporting the same silver front grille, the E 609 Silver's tonal character has been tailored to more closely match the MD 409's; physical construction and side-address configuration remain the same, as well. Frequency response is 40-18k Hz, sensitivity is 1.5 mV/Pa and nominal impedance is 350 ohms.

The E 609 Silver will be available in February 2003, with an MSRP of $199.95.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear addict

I think I've heard people who have a/b'ed them determine the 509 and 409 are about identical audio wise. The e609 is supposed to be not so thick, maybe a bit brighter and thinner, but still a bit smoother and creamier than a 57. And Sennheiser has now released the e609-Emotion, distinguished by two-tone grills (silver and black), at a lower price, and they claim to have recaptured the 409 sound. Confused?

Old 12th February 2003
Gear addict

not too confused

I own the original e-609's and find them to be OK - and use them sometimes on Guitars and/or Toms. But I found I needed to double mic with a 57 as well when recording guitars. I didn't get the impression they were as cool as 409's. I eager to try out the new two tone e609 'silver's.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear interested

yeah, right, 409s...

Last week, my friend told me, how he recorded his worldwide million selling hit single "Lemon Tree" of his band "Fool's Garden":
He had a Fostex 1/2", a soundcraft 16/4/2, an atari, a bedroom in his parents house and ONE fu**ing 409.
He recorded everything with it, Live-Hihat (drums out of the box), guitars, and vocals. Vocal sound was a little muddy, so he "fixed" it with his "conrad electronic" (germanys radio shack) parametric EQ.
Yeah, and he put a dustbin over the 409, when recording guitar, he wanted something weird.
If you get a chance to hear that song - it's real 409 magic.

I'm crazy for mics, old ones, tubemics etc.
Own a 509 for years along with other great mics, never liked it anywhere, thought it was poo, a bad joke. Now that lemon tree thing really ****ed me up.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search