The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
lower levels - better sound ???
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear

lower levels - better sound ???

i know it all depends on the talent but :

if i put f.ex the drummers sticks away and tell em to play f.ex with those things called roots or brushes the sound of the drums are opening up 300 % . its not the fact that the talents now playing with something different , just the fact , the sound thats be created isnt that loud compared to the sticks . ( sure if someone really knows how to control the sticks you´ll have the same results ) .

matterfact , all the "doings buff bengs" are turning into real nice drum sounds . even the direct mics capture a real sound . less attack = more sound ???

i figured that with a lot of instruments .
with vocals its even the most impressive thing .

if i have somebody close to talking into a nice mic setup or somebodys screaming --- the talking sounds again more open³ .
if i level the two differnt sources the same , the talking sounds wide and big , the screaming sound tiny and small . ( i know thats not a new phenomen )

if i hit the guitar hard it sounds tiny if i hit it way softer it sounds big when recording . in real life its the opposite way , thats why some might think " louder is better " .

how do you guys deal with that ?
Old 10th February 2003
I certainly find with drums, the harder you hit, the smaller they sound.
I've spent a career pummeling the drums. Over the past couple of years I've thought more about regulating my dynamics based on the needs of a song. If I record an entire take at half my normal stick pressure the sound is pretty massive. It seems to allow the drums and room to breathe. It doesn't seem to choke the mics either.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search